DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Complete novice just ordered mavic

crisp007

Reactions
Hi guys. I’ve only ever flew real small drones so I thought I would bite the bullet and get a proper one. The big question is do I go to the middle of a field and just go for it or do I get someone to show me the ropes. How easy are they to fly. Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
Starting in a big field that's free of all obstacles is a good place since it will reduce your chance of crashing. Before attempting to fly, check out the following items:
As for ease of flying, Mavics (and DJI drones in general) are easy to fly. They are pretty technical too, so you'll want to be sure you understand how the Mavic works so you're able to safely get it back to the ground.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Congratulations! Got mine two weeks as well. Had a PS3 for awhile and waned an upgrade. It’s an awesome flyer!

Reactions: crisp007
Hi guys. I’ve only ever flew real small drones so I thought I would bite the bullet and get a proper one. The big question is do I go to the middle of a field and just go for it or do I get someone to show me the ropes. How easy are they to fly. Thanks
Howdy from Wyoming crisp007, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to the forum from Western New York. I got mine a week ago and am still studying and simulating. Maybe tomorrow... Who knows

Welcome to the Jungle. We've got fun and games.

Don't be afraid, just be smart. Think about it logically. If you fly in a wide open space, the only thing you can crash into is the ground, and that is pretty hard to do.

If there are any trees or obstacles around, set your altitude a good 20 feet higher than the tops of those and just fly around using the right thumbstick and your mavic will stay at that altitude unless you make it descend (with the left thumbstick).

1) Keep it clearly in your line of sight until you're very comfortable with it.
2) Check your IMU and Compass calibration before launching - they should both be in the green or DON'T launch. (General Settings/Advanced Settings/Sensors/IMU and Compass buttons.) I still do this before EVERY flight. If they're NOT in the green -watch some videos on how to calibrate them properly before flying.
3) Always start with your batteries on the charger/mavic/phone or device at 100%.
4) Don't fly if the winds are higher than about 15mph when just learning.
5) Keep it in Beginners Mode until you're really comfortable.
6) Remove the gimbal guard before launching.
7) Put your phone/tablet in Airplane mode so you won't get any distracting texts/calls/pop-ups while you're flying.
8) Make sure you get the Home Point Set message on your screen and audibly before you launch. You should also see a green H with a circle on it on your device showing you where it's set.
9) Don't launch until the top left status banner says: READY - GPS MODE and look at how many satellites you have connection with. I won't launch with less than 11 satellites.
10) Stand WELL away from any trees, poles or obstacles when you launch - make sure there aren't any large branches hanging out over you. Always look UP before you launch. This is where your Home Point will be set.
11) Check your Home Point Altitude setting before you launch on your device set it to well above the height of any nearby obstacles.
12) Make sure your battery is seated correctly/firmly before each flight (you should hear and feel a firm click).
13) Bring the mavic close to you and get ready to land when you hear the 30% battery indicator warning start to beep.
14) Take off and land in a clear spot without high grass or dirt or rubble until you get comfortable hand launching/landing (that comes later). Landing pads or car floor mats work good for this.
15) DON'T FLY INDOORS: Do a search in this forum of how may threads contain the words "crash" and "indoors" in them. Even the most experienced pilots usually have their one and only crash indoors. The mavic can easily fluctuate between ATTI Mode and GPS Mode very quickly and unpredictably, make it very difficult to control.

If you follow these steps, the mavic is very difficult to crash - it really flies itself. Let go of both sticks and it will just sit and hover where it is. Allow for a little stopping distance, especially at high speeds or in Sport Mode.

If you accidentally lose sight of the mavic, look at the radar screen and you'll have a green line pointing right back to your Home Point at all times, just point the indicator in the direction of the line and push forward on the right thumbstick - DONT descend until you can see it again.

Don't let all the stories and videos of crashes scare you.... keep in mind, MOST crashes happen when someone is flying 1000+ feet away and usually doing something daring or stupid. Or when someone knows nothing about the mavic and just gets one and launches without even reading the manual or knowing very little about what they're doing.

You'll get more and more comfortable with each flight. After 200+ flights, my mavic has never behaved unpredictably. I always keep everything totally up-do-date with the latest firmware versions, and I'm still patient and cautious with each flight. Rush into flying and you're more likely to skip an important detail that could be fatal.

Having a State Farm Personal Articles Policy (or other insurance) will also help ease your mind and is only $60 per year in most places.

Just have fun and remember that these things ARE repairable and replaceable. I still LOVE flying mine around after 9 months, even if there are no interesting pictures to take, and fly at least once a week if the weather allows.

Hope this helps.

Finally: always record every flight and post the video HERE when you crash. :p

Thanks for your replies guys I’m watching YouTube every second of the day it’s driving the wife mad lol. I’m pretty lucky to have a massive field at the back of our house so that’s going to be where the maiden voyage takes place.

Don't be afraid, just be smart. Think about it logically. If you fly in a wide open space, the only thing you can crash into is the ground, and that is pretty hard to do.

If there are any trees or obstacles around, set your altitude a good 20 feet higher than the tops of those and just fly around using the right thumbstick and your mavic will stay at that altitude unless you make it descend (with the left thumbstick).

2) Check your IMU and Compass calibration before launching - they should both be in the green or DON'T launch. (General Settings/Advanced Settings/Sensors/IMU and Compass buttons.) I still do this before EVERY flight. If they're NOT in the green -watch some videos on how to calibrate them properly before flying.
3) Always start with your batteries on the charger/mavic/phone or device at 100%.
7) Put your phone/tablet in Airplane mode so you won't get any distracting texts/calls/pop-ups while you're flying.
8) Make sure you get the Home Point Set message on your screen and audibly before you launch. You should also see a green H with a circle on it on your device showing you where it's set.
9) Don't launch until the top left status banner says: READY - GPS MODE and look at how many satellites you have connection with. I won't launch with less than 11 satellites.
10) Stand WELL away from any trees, poles or obstacles when you launch - make sure there aren't any large branches hanging out over you. Always look UP before you launch. This is where your Home Point will be set.
11) Check your Home Point Altitude setting before you launch on your device set it to well above the height of any nearby obstacles.
12) Make sure your battery is seated correctly/firmly before each flight (you should hear and feel a firm click).
13) Bring the mavic close to you and get ready to land when you hear the 30% battery indicator warning start to beep.
14) Take off and land in a clear spot without high grass or dirt or rubble until you get comfortable hand launching/landing (that comes later). Landing pads or car floor mats work good for this.
15) DON'T FLY INDOORS: Do a search in this forum of how may threads contain the words "crash" and "indoors" in them. Even the most experienced pilots usually have their one and only crash indoors. The mavic can easily fluctuate between ATTI Mode and GPS Mode very quickly and unpredictably, make it very difficult to control.

If you follow these steps, the mavic is very difficult to crash - it really flies itself. Let go of both sticks and it will just sit and hover where it is. Allow for a little stopping distance, especially at high speeds or in Sport Mode.

If you accidentally lose sight of the mavic, look at the radar screen and you'll have a green line pointing right back to your Home Point at all times, just point the indicator in the direction of the line and push forward on the right thumbstick - DONT descend until you can see it again.

Don't let all the stories and videos of crashes scare you.... keep in mind, MOST crashes happen when someone is flying 1000+ feet away and usually doing something daring or stupid. Or when someone knows nothing about the mavic and just gets one and launches without even reading the manual or knowing very little about what they're doing.

You'll get more and more comfortable with each flight. After 200+ flights, my mavic has never behaved unpredictably. I always keep everything totally up-do-date with the latest firmware versions, and I'm still patient and cautious with each flight. Rush into flying and you're more likely to skip an important detail that could be fatal.

Having a State Farm Personal Articles Policy (or other insurance) will also help ease your mind and is only $60 per year in most places.

Just have fun and remember that these things ARE repairable and replaceable. I still LOVE flying mine around after 9 months, even if there are no interesting pictures to take, and fly at least once a week if the weather allows.

Hope this helps.

That was really a great description for a beginner!

Hope this helps.

THANKS This is a great list to go by

Reactions: Wph and crisp007
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member