DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Computer Won't Play Video

Odom1957

Reactions
So, I have looked around the 100+ threads here about computer requirements for playing 4k video and mine is WAY above the requirements, but when I try to play a video from my Mavic in 2k/30fps, it just comes up with a green screen and nothing else.

I7-7700k
8gb Ram
250gb SSD (OS)
LSI 9266-8I raid Card
8x 4TB Skyhawk Drives
Onboard Video
Win 10 Home
Recording in MP4 mode

I have tried to play in VLC, WMP, and a couple others that come with windows 10, but all do the same thing. What am I missing? What should I check?

Last edited:
Are you able to play other 4K video from other sources?

If your drone video is currently .mov, you may experience playback issues. For some weird reason, .mov files are notoriously difficult, even for VLC which can handle nearly anything. .MP4 is much easier.

Try MPEG Streamclip, to re-encode your existing mov video into MP4

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

Reactions: Odom1957
I shot a few videos today with it using a different card. I am downloading them to the PC now. I'll check to see if I can play them. I am also checking the videos on a 2nd gen I7, just to see if it will play the videos.

I don't have any 4k videos to try to play, but I am trying to play 2k videos.

I have a new problem now...about 3 seconds into the video trying to play, the computer locks up and I have to force restart it.

I tried the videos on my old 2nd gen i7 and they play just fine, so it is something wrong with my new pc. Wouldn't you know it....a brand new pc won't even play videos like it should! Guess it is back to the drawing board to see what the problem is.

I tried the videos on my old 2nd gen i7 and they play just fine, so it is something wrong with my new pc. Wouldn't you know it....a brand new pc won't even play videos like it should! Guess it is back to the drawing board to see what the problem is.
That's not good. Is your new pc under any warranty? I used to troubleshoot and repair computers, and that kind of malfunction often was caused by bad RAM, but could be any of a number of things. Good luck.

I don't have any 4k videos to try to play, but I am trying to play 2k videos.

I have a new problem now...about 3 seconds into the video trying to play, the computer locks up and I have to force restart it.

What you are describing is a video card issue. It's a very common reason for a computer to lock up. And everything you've described so far is video related. Download and install the latest drivers for your on board video card directly from the manufacturer's website, and give that a try.

What you are describing is a video card issue. It's a very common reason for a computer to lock up. And everything you've described so far is video related. Download and install the latest drivers for your on board video card directly from the manufacturer's website, and give that a try.

Yes, this exactly. Try updating the drivers and if that doesn’t do it, take the thing back.

Reactions: Qoncussion
So, a partial update.

No warranty as I build all my computers. Remember this quote in a minute!

I had also narrowed it down to video card related, so I opened up the case when I got home from work and noticed some idiot put an older 1gb video card in the computer. I thought to myself, why would anyone put a discreet card into a computer with a better integrated graphics, then I remembered that I didn't have a DP to HDMI adapter to plug into the TV, so the video card was the temp fix.

I will be buying the adapter tomorrow so i can use my integrated graphics, then later buying a 1050 TI 4gb card.

So...You guys have it right. The only thing that could cause the problem is the discreet video card.

Before anyone says anything about the model of video card I have chosen, let me explain my reasoning. The 1050 TI 4gb model is the best card for under 200 bucks, which is pretty much my limit on this computer. This computer is a video server for a surveillance system and will double as the computer to edit the video from the Mavic, so the 4gb card should provide enough headroom to help my processor handle those 3-4 GB video files from the drone. The video footage will ultimately be stored on my 12tb NAS server.

So, a partial update.

No warranty as I build all my computers. Remember this quote in a minute!

I had also narrowed it down to video card related, so I opened up the case when I got home from work and noticed some idiot put an older 1gb video card in the computer. I thought to myself, why would anyone put a discreet card into a computer with a better integrated graphics, then I remembered that I didn't have a DP to HDMI adapter to plug into the TV, so the video card was the temp fix.

I will be buying the adapter tomorrow so i can use my integrated graphics, then later buying a 1050 TI 4gb card.

So...You guys have it right. The only thing that could cause the problem is the discreet video card.

Before anyone says anything about the model of video card I have chosen, let me explain my reasoning. The 1050 TI 4gb model is the best card for under 200 bucks, which is pretty much my limit on this computer. This computer is a video server for a surveillance system and will double as the computer to edit the video from the Mavic, so the 4gb card should provide enough headroom to help my processor handle those 3-4 GB video files from the drone. The video footage will ultimately be stored on my 12tb NAS server.
Well played.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000