DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Convince me of which one to buy...please

finity

Reactions
I have the opportunity to get an Air 2S. But it has an N1 controller.

I'm leaning heavily toward buying an Mini 3 Pro with an RC controller instead.

One or the other will be my first and only drone for at least a while which means I've never even flown my first drone yet. So I have zero experience.

Taking cost completely out of the equation and just considering the OOB experience for each one which one would you recommend and why?

Camera performance, size considerations, weight, stability, ease of use (along with anything else I haven't even thought about) are valid points,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

One or the other will be my first and only drone for at least a while which means I've never even flown my first drone yet. So I have zero experience.

Taking cost completely out of the equation and just considering the OOB experience for each one which one would you recommend and why?

Camera performance, size considerations, weight, stability, ease of use (along with anything else I haven't even thought about) are valid points,

If cost is not an issue, then get the Air 2S.

I have a Mini 3 Pro with the RC controller, and a Mavic 2 Pro with both the regular controller (which I use with an iPad) and a Smart Controller.

Once I got the Smart Controller with the Mavic 2 I never used the other controller again. The bright display and ease of setup won me over.

Once I got the Mini 3 I basically stopped using the Mavic. Partly because Canadian laws (sub-250 g is legal to fly in many more places), but mostly because it is so much lighter and easier to carry. It is also quieter than the Mavic, which to me is an advantage.

I've kept the Mavic as a backup aircraft, and for use in really gusty winds. For regular use, though, the Mini 3 has taken over.

Reactions: finity
@finity purely from an ease of use and compact size ,the Mini 3 pro would be your best bet
but if the weight of the drone is not an issue ,then i believe that the Air 2s can be flown with the new DJI RC controller, which you can purchase as a separate item, then you can enjoy the best of both worlds

I have a MA2 (not the S), with a RC1 controller and a mini 3 pro with RC controller and as stated it's very easy to get spoiled with the built in screen. I let my MA2 set for months after I got the mini because of ease of setup. Both are impressive drones. The mini 3 pro is amazing for it's size and very quiet compared the the larger drone. The M3P costs more but you don't have all the support gear to add to the mix either, such as a ipad or phone to connect, and the mount and the cable and maybe a sunscreen cover of some sort.. With the ipad the image you see is much larger but also much heavier than the RC controller. Also the Ipad and phone are affected more by temps than from the rc controller from my experience. Are you in a area where it's windy a lot? Even then being a new flyer you may not fly when it's windy because of takeoffs and landing can be tricky until you get it down anyway. The M3P is very zippy compared to the MA2 and affords a different kind of flight experience for me. It also draws less attention than the larger drone model if that's important in the areas where you will be flying. There are a lot of things to consider, including the price of the used MA2S.

Last edited:
Tough choice. They each have their strengths. Mini 3 Pro is sub-250 and less restricted in some areas, and situations. Air 2S is older and not getting much in the way of new firmware or features but more robust.

While they both fly the same list of flights: Video, Photo, Quickshots, Mastershots, Pano & Hyperlapse, here is one minor difference:

Air 2S and all current models can shoot stitched 3x3 and 3x1 panoramic photos of the ground, meaning a map view photo. Mini 3 only does horizon facing stitched Panos. Not sure why as the other drones do horizon facing and downward facing. Minor point, but interesting. I suspect the 4 axis gimbal with vertical full sensor shooting. The again, Mini 3 Pro's 60 degree upward angle takes better spherical Panos with no patch straight above.

Best choice? Get the one you like more. Later... get the other. You said first and only. I said that too. 20 drones ago. Lol 😆

Get the Air 2S with RC-N1 controller. It has better camera, stability... if you want the DJI RC controller with the screen you can always get it separately, and pair it with the Air 2S, because it does work with the Air 2S as well, not only Mini 3.

The word “mini” has multiple meanings. I would not own another DJI product that includes that description.

Reactions: Yaros

Beats off of experience both are good drones but the mavic air 2s is more for cinematic purposes due to its good camera. If you’re looking to use this drone for personal work like real estate the air 2s. I have both and they are both very good for different circumstances. With this being your first drone you will want to increase your flight hours and experience which is where the mini 3 pro excels. It has extremely long battery life with the better batteries. They can last around 40 minutes a flight whenever I’m out there. The air 2s is good at everything except for that one aspect in my opinion. The battery lasts half that time at around 20 minutes. That’s fairly average but I know when I want to fly my drone just for fun I want to fly it for a really long time. The main reason people buy the air 2s is for cinematic purposes which is what I did. The mini 3 pro still has a really good camera especially for how small it is. To sum it up I would highly recommend the mini 3 pro. Also it will be easier because you don’t have to register it. With the better batteries It puts the weight a few grams over 250 though. One other thing is with a drone being lighter if it does in fact crash you’re going to be less likely to absolutely demolish the drone. Based off my experience the mini 3 pro is a fairly durable drone and we haven’t had any issues with it at all. Except for prop replacements which is expected. I could talk forever about the pros and cons about both but I’m going to leave it at that. They’re both good drones.

Reactions: Dbez1 and finity
mini 3 pro. Nice long flight times will be much nicer when learning all the features and getting used to flying it. Its a lot lower pressure when you have a lot of time in the air.

For me, it comes down to how much wind and how discreet you want to be. The Air2S will handle the wind better but it is considerably louder and therefore more noticeable. There are other more specific differences as noted above that may impact your decision. I chose the Air2S for wind tolerance and it’s been a great bird for me.

Do have an air2s flymore with 3 min. Flight time On it 4 sale.

The only thing that is not been mentioned is the the N1 controller has better range then the RC, I know most RC users cringe to admit it but it is true. The Mini 3 pro is great and more transportable but not by much. The technology is close but the air 2s is bigger and will handle the weather better, but not much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan