DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic 2 Pro because of CSC stick input settings :(

I wish I thought of that when I crashed my drone a while back it went into RTH while flying low under trees. I was low enough so I could have shut off the motors and it would have fallen about 5 feet to the ground instead it went up about 20 feet and crashed into the tree branches .

Reactions: pchaps
It would make more sense for the emergency motor stoppage to require a button to be pressed at the same time as the weird stick input. Like the left + right top finger buttons AND the inward stick input. Nobody would ever push and hold all of these buttons / sticks at the same time. Just having it set to stick input is really dumb and could accidentally cause the drone to fall from the sky..like this situation.

I wish I thought of that when I crashed my drone a while back it went into RTH while flying low under trees. I was low enough so I could have shut off the motors and it would have fallen about 5 feet to the ground instead it went up about 20 feet and crashed into the tree branches .
Or just cancel RTH.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Not at all. A tuned stick input configuration along with flying in tripod mode and sticks in that position are not droning “full blast”. Lol.
In tripod mode no indeed.

I use this method to start the motors. Is there anyway I can continue to do so but disallow this command in flight?
Sure, just make sure the setting as per post #10 is correct...

It would make more sense for the emergency motor stoppage to require a button to be pressed at the same time as the weird stick input. Like the left + right top finger buttons AND the inward stick input. Nobody would ever push and hold all of these buttons / sticks at the same time. Just having it set to stick input is really dumb and could accidentally cause the drone to fall from the sky..like this situation.

Like on the Phantom?

1542460733614.jpeg

This feature scares me now lol

Anyone turning it off ?

What's interesting to me is that this is at least the third time I've seen a "fall out of the sky" event due to a CSC. I'm not sure what to make of that... I mean, all of the drones I've had from DJI have all responded to a CSC in much the same way as far as I'm aware. Besides the fact that this all of these reports are anecdotal at best, is there something about the operation of the Mavic 2 that makes this "easier" to pull off or something that I'm not getting?I know I'm like uber-careful when I'm descending in fear of the thing "interpreting" that as the full down CSC for some reason or another.

Besides the fact that this all of these reports are anecdotal at best, is there something about the operation of the Mavic 2 that makes this "easier" to pull off or something that I'm not getting?I know I'm like uber-careful when I'm descending in fear of the thing "interpreting" that as the full down CSC for some reason or another.[/QUOTE]

That’s the PRO Level. Lol

Unless there is some kind of malfunction...

This was a great post. I have two questions: 1. if you do a CSC shutdown in mid-flight does it shut down the whole system of just the motors? It seems that an emergency flight shutdown should leave the nav tracking/recoding system and maybe the camera in working mode. It might help with tracking down the drone down in less hospital terrain than a beach.
Question two: I saw a Youtube video of a mid-flight shutdown and restart of a MP2. The brave (foolish?) soul did it just to see if it could be done. I could not tell how he did the restart but I assume it was the same CSC as for the shutdown. Any guesses?

Hi All,

My Name is Jonathan SAYEB and i'm a small Photography and Videography business owner in Vietnam. I've just purchased the new Mavic 2 Pro to add to our current Phantom 4 Pro and today while shooting for a big resort in Phu Quoc island (Vietnam), the drone litteraly fell from the sky for no apparent reasons (lucky me it crashed on the beach sand and only the gimbal seems to be broken). I've read everything i could find and apparently i'm not the only case.

Please note that i'm well aware of the user error thing but I promise that I didn't do anything "abnormal" and also I've been flying intensively our phantom 4 pro since it came (almost 2 years) without ever a scrach to it. Also, just to make things clear, litteraly minutes after the crash I asked our staff to buy a 2nd Mavic 2 Pro because our business cannot afford to be without drone for weeks (especially after now reading all the horror stories with the support). And actually, i would have prefered that it would have been my fault so at least i wouldn't get paranoid like now.

My real concern is what are the odds that such thing happens again? I've contacted DJI support asking for a clear answer about "possible Mavic 2 Pro malfunction" as I was very lucky that it didn't crash on the head of one of the hotel guest and if there is a defect (been reading about some possible board overheating issue, BTW was on my 2nd battery straight flight) but the agent kept repeating to send it for repair without even considering my real concern about another "non-user related" failure. The only thing I'd like to know, and DJI should have the honesty to tell us, could there be a chance of malfunction on this serie of drone.

Sorry for the long post but to finish it all up, We've got a super important shoot for a "Golf Legend" in Dubai this saturday and i'm planning to bring both the Phantom 4 Pro (which have been nothing but super reliable) and the 2nd Mavic 2 pro we just got while the other is sent for repair and "analysis" and the only thing i'm really concerned is the thing falling on his head which our business insurance surely wouldn't be big enough :D

Cheers and Looking forward to hearing your experience!

I’m curious to know exactly what type of exotic maneuver you were attempting for photography that would have required but sticks full down and in? You would essentially be traveling backwards and to the left, while also descending and spinning to the right (spiraling).

This was a great post. I have two questions: 1. if you do a CSC shutdown in mid-flight does it shut down the whole system of just the motors? It seems that an emergency flight shutdown should leave the nav tracking/recoding system and maybe the camera in working mode. It might help with tracking down the drone down in less hospital terrain than a beach.

It just shuts down the motors. The DAT logs continue but the txt log stops.

Question two: I saw a Youtube video of a mid-flight shutdown and restart of a MP2. The brave (foolish?) soul did it just to see if it could be done. I could not tell how he did the restart but I assume it was the same CSC as for the shutdown. Any guesses?

No need to guess - it's a CSC restart.

Reactions: Goldengate98

get to know the pause button. It is your friend in these and potentially other situations.

i’m going to turn this off right now. I’ve taken some cool shots in the past that used similar stick moves, fortunately while ascending. I could conceivably have tried the same cinematic shot while descending. I don’t use full stick travel while shooting but still, this is scary. I will post the shot later today to illustrate why someone might make the stick motion in question.

I read that setting as allowing iether the maneuver or the emergency shut down, i.e. turning it off.

IMG_9465.JPG

so does this setting allow full stick movement to the down and n position without turning off the motors? The other setting is default and in case of emergency only.

pretty unclear imho

While I'm fine with the way to stop the rotors, this is all clear as mud to me. My two options are "For emergencies only" and "CSC Maneuver" and they are both the same and to be used in emergencies only.
Sorry SteveCA, I was testing and writing while you were posting, but I think we're asking the same question.

Reactions: tgreve

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada