DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

skiracingdude

Reactions
**I understand this wouldn't be legal if flown outside of VLOS in the U.S. I am just wondering if it is possible, and I am looking for technical ideas on how to make it work.

Where I live: The freaking tundra. It's cold, it snows, I'm frozen.
What I want to do: Sit my *** inside by a fire, looking out a large window, and fly the drone.
What am I trying to figure out?: I want to put an antenna on the roof, outside, run a cable inside, and connect it to the DJI smart controller.

Is this possible? Has anyone done a remote antenna solution like this? If so, any information on the cables, antenna, and connections would be GREATLY appreciated.
I apologize if this is in the wrong section or has already been covered. I am new here. I'm a commercial pilot "real" aircraft. Just getting into drones and trying to understand the limits to which I can push them.
Thank you for any info or ideas anyone has!

I once took a road trip and visited a ex military drone pilot's house in the arizona desert. He had a 1 foot square antenna on the roof and a big screen TV. He launched his phantom 4 pro off his roof and flew until his battery was at 60%, then flew back. All piloted indoors and viewed on his big screen. He had a modified smart controller in this system. So, yes it's possible but I do not know how it was modified. His next step was to increase battery capacity.
Cape Productions used to operate a fleet of Inspire 1 drones out of the guadalahara Mexico police station and could fly miles away from where they were based, all flown and viewed on monitors at the precinct desks.

Reactions: Pallidin
**I understand this wouldn't be legal if flown outside of VLOS in the U.S. I am just wondering if it is possible, and I am looking for technical ideas on how to make it work.

Where I live: The freaking tundra. It's cold, it snows, I'm frozen.
What I want to do: Sit my *** inside by a fire, looking out a large window, and fly the drone.
What am I trying to figure out?: I want to put an antenna on the roof, outside, run a cable inside, and connect it to the DJI smart controller.

Is this possible? Has anyone done a remote antenna solution like this? If so, any information on the cables, antenna, and connections would be GREATLY appreciated.
I apologize if this is in the wrong section or has already been covered. I am new here. I'm a commercial pilot "real" aircraft. Just getting into drones and trying to understand the limits to which I can push them.
Thank you for any info or ideas anyone has!

Im not sure about flying from the couch but from inside the car its very possible and the same concept.
Check out Alien Dual Electronic Antenna System where you find all you Xmas presents for this year.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Drone in the TUNDRA .

Reactions: mereflyer
I have a question about the Alien Antennas with booster - is the 2.4g or the 5.8g a better choice, in general?
Hey,
What's important to remember with these two frequency are this.
2.4 has farther range, but it's more common (wifi router)
5.8 is stronger, but it's a shorter wave length so it dissipates faster as it loses energy. Here's a pro tip..... when you are around house switch your drone to 5.8. Way less interference and you are vlos so..ya. out in the open? 2.4 all day long.

If I was to do it again I would run lmr 400 or 600 cable from roof ant.to an amp. In the house, then controller. At that point you could even run your hdmi to tv and use that as your screen

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu