DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Diamond Head, Hawaii - Feedback wanted on Format Choice

redhawkdrone

Reactions
Typically, I think drone videos work best in a series of quick 5-10 second clips to keep the audience engaged. For this video, I decided to switch formats and showcase the area in one continuous shot that is intentionally slow to build suspense and give the audience a peaceful experience, like they are almost floating along in the air.

Please let me know what you think on ways to improve the video and what you liked (if anything). As for the music, I'm not a big fan but was struggling to find something that matched the pace of the video.

Here are my thoughts, since you asked...Good color grading. Dlog or normal? The shot down the street was a bit long. Quite a bit. I kept waiting for a change of pace. It simply was not mesmerizing enough to hold that length of video. At 221 there was some relief as the camera went up. I would have cut more than half the earlier footage out. The pan was well done but the horizon cut in half did not help. The sky was superfluous and the horizon should have been in the upper third which would have emphasized Dimonhead (?) and the buildings better The next scene shows the horizon where it should be...but it also drags on too long. You, as the creator may be enthralled with every moment and it could use more than 5-10sec but it also went on for too long. Again..good color grading throughout and very curious if this is just normal MP4 or if you color graded log for it. I thought the music was quite OK. It didn't get in the way or anything. 10sec is, for me, pretty close to an upper limit for a scene that doesn't change much. The very upper limit and then it has to have some inherent change to even hold that length. Regardless, it was well done in many ways and no doubt a lot of fun to capture. Keep em coming!

Reactions: Rydintl1
This looked amazing on the Large Screen, Great Quality. I think i would speed ramp some parts after floating for a bit just to add some texture. I also enjoyed seeing the context of where things are at , except when you cut back to the river I was lost as to where in context we were on the map , I am thinking we were heading back towards the river.

Still some beautiful compositions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain... Land on the Water and Capture the Storms.

I think you had some nice shots but not enough and the shots were too long. Your initial statement about a series of shorts shots works better for drone videos is spot on. The only exceptions to this are when there is sufficient action or motion in the shot which warrants a longer shot (a great example of this is in akdrone's video of the Alaska Railroad). I also agree the music was not the best choice because it was a little "dark" for an otherwise peaceful island feel the video suggests. Just my two cents, not trying to be negative, but constructive. Hope this helps.

Reactions: rhberg and @Rip
Beautiful stuff, but way too long. I think 3 minutes or so, maybe stretching to 4 if there is super good unique content. There is a lot to work with so should be great on reedit. Color grading is outstanding.

Reactions: redhawkdrone
I may be in the minority here but I really dislike short clips, especially videos which have short clips just for the sake of being short. I much prefer longer videos as I think they can be more interesting and the viewer has time to digest the information and learn about the area.
However, your clips are way too long and the length only detracts from the beauty of the area. What I see a most important in a video is that it tells a story and shows a logical progression from one scene to the next. So plan ahead so you don't backtrack with scenes.
And, of utmost importance, narrate the video and tell the viewer what is going on.
The canal scene is nice but it would be much better if had flown at least twice your speed. When you get to the end of canal you could turn around right then and go the opposite direction, but I think that would be redundant. Make a story by continuing to diamond head.
Music is good, but didn't fit; it just made the video too long for the subject matter. I have no problem with 5- or 10-minute videos but the subject matter and story needs to fit along with narration. Don't leave the viewer guessing.

Here are my thoughts, since you asked...Good color grading. Dlog or normal? The shot down the street was a bit long. Quite a bit. I kept waiting for a change of pace. It simply was not mesmerizing enough to hold that length of video. At 221 there was some relief as the camera went up. I would have cut more than half the earlier footage out. The pan was well done but the horizon cut in half did not help. The sky was superfluous and the horizon should have been in the upper third which would have emphasized Dimonhead (?) and the buildings better The next scene shows the horizon where it should be...but it also drags on too long. You, as the creator may be enthralled with every moment and it could use more than 5-10sec but it also went on for too long. Again..good color grading throughout and very curious if this is just normal MP4 or if you color graded log for it. I thought the music was quite OK. It didn't get in the way or anything. 10sec is, for me, pretty close to an upper limit for a scene that doesn't change much. The very upper limit and then it has to have some inherent change to even hold that length. Regardless, it was well done in many ways and no doubt a lot of fun to capture. Keep em coming!

Thanks for the feedback. You confirmed mostly what I was thinking but was trying something different with a slow flight and longer clip to build suspense. It was an idea sparked from a conversation with someone who was talking about their hot air balloon ride so I thought I would try and capture that same spirit with a drone clip. I'm a fan of the shorter 5-10 second clips but wanted feedback like this on my experiment.

This was shot with my Mavic Air2 in HDR mode with some basic color grading in Resolve. I'm new to color grading and need to find my own "style". Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

I think you had some nice shots but not enough and the shots were too long. Your initial statement about a series of shorts shots works better for drone videos is spot on. The only exceptions to this are when there is sufficient action or motion in the shot which warrants a longer shot (a great example of this is in akdrone's video of the Alaska Railroad). I also agree the music was not the best choice because it was a little "dark" for an otherwise peaceful island feel the video suggests. Just my two cents, not trying to be negative, but constructive. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. You confirmed mostly what I was thinking but was trying something different with a slow flight and longer clip to build suspense. It was an idea sparked from a conversation with someone who was talking about their hot air balloon ride so I thought I would try and capture that same spirit with a drone clip. I'm a fan of the shorter 5-10 second clips but wanted feedback like this on my experiment.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
Any time, I am happy to help. Great shots and they do look good.

I am no expert and not the norm for my likes. I do not like short jerky cuts. I preferer nice relaxing flights. I very seldom comment as well. This was a bit slow speed and I did expect to see a bit more of Diamond head, but was my style. Having stayed in many condos and walked that road many times it was enjoyable to me. I watched all of it. When it comes down to it, really its the persons own liking that counts. I gave a thumbs up.

Typically, I think drone videos work best in a series of quick 5-10 second clips to keep the audience engaged. For this video, I decided to switch formats and showcase the area in one continuous shot that is intentionally slow to build suspense and give the audience a peaceful experience, like they are almost floating along in the air.

Please let me know what you think on ways to improve the video and what you liked (if anything). As for the music, I'm not a big fan but was struggling to find something that matched the pace of the video.

I hate to "pile on" but even though this was beautiful shooting, it was simply too long by about 100%. You could have shown everything just as well in 3 minutes and kept my interest. I found myself just fast forwarding looking for a new and less boring scene.

Dale
M Miami

Reactions: FLDave
I hate to "pile on" but even though this was beautiful shooting, it was simply too long by about 100%. You could have shown everything just as well in 3 minutes and kept my interest. I found myself just fast forwarding looking for a new and less boring scene.

Dale
M Miami
You are not piling on, you are just confirming what I thought....the long flight format does not build suspense. My gut said 5-10 second clips was the way to go but I wanted to try something different and it didn't plan out. Thanks for the input.

You are not piling on, you are just confirming what I thought....the long flight format does not build suspense. My gut said 5-10 second clips was the way to go but I wanted to try something different and it didn't plan out. Thanks for the input.
thank you for your understanding.

Dale

Just a few more thoughts... This could have been an aerial "story" of the Waikiki area of Hawaii. a slow and not too long shot moving down the canal - the shot moving sideways toward the ocean with buildings in the foreground and Diamond Head in the distance - then a slow shot moving along Waikiki Beach toward Diamond Head and finally a shot of just Diamond Head. Could you even go east of Diamond Head with the drone, out over the ocean looking back toward Diamond Head, Waikiki and all the way down the coast? That would be a very cool, epic ending shot. All shots would be slow, I like that pace, by shorter. The music I thought was OK. Toward its end, it sounds like waves. Maybe that would be the way to end the video with the music fading out leaving only the sounds of waves. All that might give you the drama you were looking for. Shoot for a 4 minute total length. The video did look great and your flying was rock steady. Good job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven