DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Care Refresh, is it worth it?

Steve LaBranche

Reactions
Tried to buy the DJI care/refresh replacement package and missed 48 hour window by 2 hours. **** it, now I have provide a verification video. Pain in the butt but i guess I'll do it. But my question is, is it worth it? Speaking with local users they have heard it's difficult to make a claim.

Has anyone tried to call DJI support? I've tried three times on this subject and I've gotten someone with such a thick eastern Indian accent that I can't understand them.

Steve

Try chatting with DJI Support online via the "ONLINE SUPPORT" link at the bottom of this page. They will likely allow you to buy DJI Care Refresh without a video since you're only a few hours beyond the allowed window.

I submitted my question as msinger suggested. Haven't heard back yet. Starz, are you saying State Farm isn't insuring drones in California? As a Army vet, I have USAA insurance. I'll check with them.

Steve

refresh is only good if you can send them your drone if you lose it and can't find it or it goes in the water and you can't recover it it doesn't cover you. a personal articles policy from your ins carrier should be better

...But my question is, is it worth it?...
It is insurance. If you don't use it then it bought you peace of mind. It is up to you as weather it is worth it then.
... Speaking with local users they have heard it's difficult to make a claim...
It is only difficult if you do not have a wreck to send in. If you choose the express replacement option they will send the replacement right after they receive your wreck (and after they receive your use payment).

That was grumpy d that says no in California.
First I’ve heard of that. Maybe he will provide more info.

Reactions: Grumpy D
I submitted my question as msinger suggested. Haven't heard back yet. Starz, are you saying State Farm isn't insuring drones in California? As a Army vet, I have USAA insurance. I'll check with them.

Steve

I was in the same boat as you when i first got my mavic air. Missed the deadline by 24 hours. I talked to the support and they just let me register without doing the video verification. I don't think it is worth it in my opinion but it gives me a piece of mind since this is my first drone.

Reactions: itsneedtokno

Steve

USAA will not cover drones, but will refer you to a third party insurer. State Farm is the only one I know of.

Tried to buy the DJI care/refresh replacement package and missed 48 hour window by 2 hours. **** it, now I have provide a verification video. Pain in the butt but i guess I'll do it. But my question is, is it worth it? Speaking with local users they have heard it's difficult to make a claim.

Has anyone tried to call DJI support? I've tried three times on this subject and I've gotten someone with such a thick eastern Indian accent that I can't understand them.

Steve

Like all insurance, it is based on the risk you foresee and your ability and willingness to self insure and accept the loss.

My first DJI purchase was the Spark and I was new to the drone business, in spite of flying almost all types of aircraft before. I could probably afford the loss, but I did not want to accept the risk, particularly given my planned operations over and around water, which I felt was very high. I purchased Refresh and later Refresh Plus.

I am on Spark number 4 now. Two were lost due to water damage, one my fault, one I felt was DJI's but never proven, the third was clearly a DJI camera glitch. All were replaced in a reasonable time frame, when following the claim procedures. I have not used the Refresh Plus (2nd year) on that aircraft. I now have M2 as well, and have Refresh and plan to purchase the Plus.

State Farm is an option but I have chosen to wait until after Refresh has expired to move to State Farm. It is cheaper, but if you continue to make claims, they will soon drop coverage unless you have cars or home also covered by them. I will pay the premium now, well I build experience, and when there is no other option move to State Farm.

Insurance of any sort really has to be designed around your personal ability and willingness to accept loss, or not! And, the cost of repair when needed. It also depends on what prevention steps you take to ensure you have the aircraft carcass, in case of an accident. DJI limits what they will cover without a carcass in hand, so that is another consideration to keep in mind. I try to ensure I always can recover a carcass by using a Marco Polo Tracker for locating in heavy forest and a Water Mod Kit when doing extensive over water flights from my kayak.

Food for thought.