DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Neo (a new 149 gram drone)

Goggles 2/Integra are a very different animal w.r.t. the drone.

The Neo would have to support direct connection from the goggles AND the FPV RC2 and MC2 to use those older Goggles. A LOT more engineering, possibly more/different hardware adding expense, major extra coding/firmware to support into the future, for what are aging products.

I predict the 2/Integra will never be supported... Just Goggles 3, FPV RC3, and MC3 at release, with some cheaper budget Goggles coming soon.

It's always very highly, extremely, extraordinarily annoying when self-styled "experts" come on without knowing easily accessible facts.
And he also repeatedly says "DJI is limiting manual mode"... no they're not limiting anything in software, it's simply that the propulsion doesn't have the power needed to do these things.

That said if you ignore the crap it means it's fit for purpose to me :)

Me too.

Given the target market, cost, etc., I'm not expecting a Nazgul racing whoop.

I do expect to have a lot of fun flying it FPV with both the MC3 and RC3.

And using it like a self-posessed teen for some selfie stuff when we're at the beach, for example.

I'm guessing we will have a lot of YT videos with opinions and what it's good for and what it's not in the next 48 hours. Can't wait.

Reactions: 4 inch pistons
Ian Lewis (Mads Tech) and Joshua Bardwell are the 2 you tubers that are not on ANYBODYS PAYROLL. To me their word is FPV gospel. You also got to understand that they are true FPV guys---so they compare DJI stuff apples to apples to true FPV stuff. Neither are DJI fanboys since their interests and loyalties are in other places. So if DJI is selling an FPV product, it is up against stiff competition since they are not in the camera drone review eco system. They view their responsibility to dive deep in the pros and cons of the FPV review---drone, goggles, controller, etc.....and I don't think the Neo is a true FPV drone. Hence the review.

Don’t misunderstand me. All I own are DJI drones. The Avata 1 and 2 are more of a hybrid between camera drones that fly FPV than true FPV drones. Yes you can fly them in manual mode and I do that often. That is what I want and I can’t wait for the Neo.

What does it take for a drone to be an "FPV drone"?

Flying it using goggles to create an immersive, First Person View. That's it.

Rate mode vs. Angle mode? Nope. Has nothing to do with it. High speed racing through gates indoors? Nope. You don't have to race drones to fly FPV.

This "exclusive club" attitude about flying FPV has been around a long time, and is annoying. The thrill of FPV requires only an immersive viewing experience that shuts out other visual stimulus.

"True FPV" is simply "True First Person View", which means goggles, and that's pretty much it.

I agree---100%. My point is that when they review a FPV drone, they use standards that we---you and I---don't think are that important. My Mavic Classic with goggles and MC can not compare in performance to a Nazgul. I don't expect it to do that and you don't either because we have been around long enough to know these things. The fact that Ian and JB point that out just means they are telling you what to expect. I don't think they are taking issue that my Classic is slower and doesn't do freestyle---they are saying it doesn't do those things so that someone does not buy it thinking it does. So when they say this controller does not work with that quad or you have to have this in order for that to work properly, it is not an insult to me.

I know where you're coming from, @4 inch pistons... And I am critical of those guys about the "exclusive club" attitude (while I have tremendous respect for them, and am a big JB fan).

DJI is making the FPV experience accessible to more people (many more), and some long-time FPV enthusiasts bristle at that, mostly because until now, it's been a niche hobby that required development of a lot of skill – electronic, model construction, technical details of rate curves, pid tuning, etc.

Having made such a personal investment, and it was necessary, you've joined a pretty exclusive club. And it feels pretty good.

But none of it is necessary for First Person View. The FPV veterans are seeing their exclusively going away, and they understandably they don't like it. So they adopt rhetoric, and artifices to try and hang on to what makes them different (and better... hey we're human).

However, one word: Buggy Whips. okay, that was two. Anyway, time, culture, technology, toys, all move on. Trying to hang on to an artificial distinction is a mistake. Blended use FPV drones have been around a long time, iFlight makes a ton.

I started building balsa RC planes in the late 80s. For $50-100 you got a box of wood and the fun of the smoke from the CA glue cooking the wood and burning your eyes. My AMA number was 5 digits starting with 48 being the first two--I for get the last 3. The 4 channel radio came with 3 servos, and control throw was adjusted by where you connected the Z bend on the control arm. There was no simulators at the time so 1 second of bad judgement sent you back repairing the plane you just spent 50-100 hours building. I learned when a nitro engine was too rich and too lean and the penalty for being wrong was hoping to get a dead stick landing in the correct direction toward the runway and over the trees or you were again rebuilding and repairing. It was a painful and long learning experience. When I left it, there were ARFs, BNF, and PNP. Building now takes less than the time it takes to charge the battery. I got to be a decent aerobatic pilot in giant scale 100cc twin gas engines. Even made my mug in a mag or two with my planes. I was happy to see the hobby change and become less stressful for new guys. All of that does not make me resentful or better than the new guys that came after me that never had to suffer through the learning curve that I did.

When I got my first Mini 2 I loved it----AND THEN I READ DJI WAS COMING OUT WITH THE FPV!!!! No building, or soldering---just charge and fly and let go of the sticks to save a crash???? WOW!!! I have found heaven.

Reflecting on my experience, I cut JB and Ian a bit of slack if their attitude gets a touch abrasive. Everything they pushed to accomplish through hours and sweat, DJI has made simple with a credit card.

However: I was a big fan of Mr. Steele and the amazing things he is able to do. But when the Avata 2 came out, he made a video belittling the easy acro and mocking DJI flyers. I UN-suscribed and don't care what he does. A total jerk in my eyes.

Sorry for the long post.....I think we are all on the same page and I can't wait for tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydoug
Unless there is a special price or pre-order of some sort, I don't intend to *buy* NEO tomorrow but instead I plan to enjoy learning and understanding what everyone else can share about it....for the next few months watching all the great videos. But just like Avata 2, it is on my list to buy *for sure* but I still have to perfect and work thru whatever is still left on my Avata 1 and FPV collection. I made a promise to not buy DJI products on day 1 (based on price, availability, and bugs) and that has been working out great so far for me; so enjoy your new drones guys! :)

Reactions: Dustydoug
Both the drone only and FMC are now listed on the local store chain that always gets DJI stuff first, but not orderable at this point... I called to see if they had some in stock somewhere in a physical store since that's happened before but no.
Would only need the drone since I already have the RC(s) but I guess I'll still have to go with the FMC as usual because the 2 extra batteries and charging hub probably will cost just as much as the difference and not be available for a while.

I’m waiting for DJI to turn loose all of the YouTube reviews. Nothing as of now.

Reactions: Torque
Reactions: 4 inch pistons
Reactions: mavic3usa
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(so many reviews... DJI sent this one to lots of people!)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronialfiansyah