DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do the Mavic Air propellers make you mad? Swap Tested

mmoguls

Reactions
I find the Mavic air props to be a nuisance. Every time you fold it up, they seem to be exactly in the way and getting bent. I found an interesting solution from it's little brother...

We were at the MeetUp group (flying Drones for Fun) meet at Treasure Island last Saturday and I had some Spark rotors in my spares box, so we decided to try them on for size...

That's right, the folding props from the Spark go right onto the Mavic air rotor blades. I was leery on takeoff, but man, it still flies to 400 feet no problem. They are a bit smaller overall, and this may reduce flight time, but it folds into a nicer setup than with the one piece blades. Anyone else try this yet, I saw no other posting about it?
-Dan

I have not tried this, but i also had issues folding my air at first. But now that i figured out which ones to fold first it never gives me any issues. Do you close the landing gear and pull the front legs back first?

Reactions: Janjelmer1
Wow, that video is noisy! I don't find it to be that loud, although my platinum is way quieter than the Air. His heat test seems a bit unscientific, they FEEL warmer to me? Could be, they have to work a bit harder to stay in the air with a smaller lift area? Detrimental?

Or, just pop them off and transport it with props off. I am so used to it on my P4 that it wouldn't bother me to take them off before packing it away.

Wow, that video is noisy! I don't find it to be that loud, although my platinum is way quieter than the Air. His heat test seems a bit unscientific, they FEEL warmer to me? Could be, they have to work a bit harder to stay in the air with a smaller lift area? Detrimental?

Yeah they'll need to be spinning faster to generate the same lift with smaller propellers. Will probably reduce your top speed and overall flight time too.

There is a video on youtube where a guy tested this and his Air made strange noises with the Spark props on. Also motors run hotter.
Saw this, and you’re right, the motors probably have to work harder with the Spark props on. Much louder too. Hopefully they create full size folding Mavic Air props, after hearing people’s complaints.

This seems like a very bad idea to me. Putting props of different size on your Mavic Air would put undo strain on your drone and void any warranty you have/had.

This seems like a very bad idea to me. Putting props of different size on your Mavic Air would put undo strain on your drone and void any warranty you have/had.

I had a friend who was a firefighter for the forest service in California south of the Bay Area. They had an ex-military Huey modified to take Apache rotor blades for extra lift (hot weather, bucket brigade, etc.). This may be a don't-try-this-at-home mod, but it worked for them.

Ric

I have not tried this, but i also had issues folding my air at first. But now that i figured out which ones to fold first it never gives me any issues. Do you close the landing gear and pull the front legs back first?
This is correct fold front legs out first then bottom- when putting away front legs first then bottom- very easy gents

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe