DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Mavic Gimbal Board Guard 3K Carbon Fiber Protective Plate Gimbal Protector work?

r1_uas

Reactions
Does anyone have experience using the "Mavic Gimbal Board Guard 3K Carbon Fiber Protective Plate Gimbal Protector" that can be found online in a number of places? http://amzn.to/2iYD9sp

I'm specifically interested in the protective qualities for the gimbal. This product looks interesting because it appears stronger than the typical sun-shades / gimbal guards offered everywhere. These can absorb a single impact but if the Mavic tumbles can be knocked off in the process.

I'm not concerned about the guard obstructing the view or getting into the image, for my applications this won't matter.

ir

Does anyone have experience using the "Mavic Gimbal Board Guard 3K Carbon Fiber Protective Plate Gimbal Protector" that can be found online in a number of places? http://amzn.to/2iYD9sp

I'm specifically interested in the protective qualities for the gimbal. This product looks interesting because it appears stronger than the typical sun-shades / gimbal guards offered everywhere. These can absorb a single impact but if the Mavic tumbles can be knocked off in the process.

I'm not concerned about the guard obstructing the view or getting into the image, for my applications this won't matter.

ir
Hmm.. first I seen of it, interesting concept.

There was a discussion a while back on this. General consensus was no - plus it blocks the heatsink on the bottom and may vignette the bottom sensors.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I have one but have yet to install it, it was a cheap price so I bought it...

There was a discussion a while back on this. General consensus was no - plus it blocks the heatsink on the bottom and may vignette the bottom sensors.

I did find that thread, it seems like an earlier version of the product. It didn't speak much as to the actual effectiveness of protection in the field.

The current version has more holes I'm guessing to help with the heat and claims to not block the bottom sensors.

ir
I say try it out! Heat sinks need very little room to operate efficiently, and if the sensors need a broader field of view you could use a file to widen that front hole for the downward camera very easily (I don't think you would have a problem with the back 2 ultrasonic senors).

The issue with these is that it blocks the downward sensors. It will in turn trick the mavic into thinking that it is at ground level and cause it to crash. I would suggest not adding any sort of accessory like this to the mavic.

There are a few product reviews... None of them good. Such as, "Buyer beware if you install this the camera cover/protector is no longer usable and extended landing gear can't be used. Returned"

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Please!!!!!! don't buy that a lot of people have had there mavic land in the water or go up and not be able to come back down google it there's a lot of video on it it blocks the sensors and is not worth the chance...they should take it off the market..

ir
So I had this one before with the one with holes as well. First of all, it didn’t protect my Mavic from snapping on of the gimbal cables given that it wasn’t a fall but a slightly rough landing. Then, on another occasion, it was preventing my mavic from going down as it seems to be detected as an obstruction, in the end, I had to crash it against a wall to stop from uncontrollably going upwards. I wasn’t sure if that was the reason though but it was only when I placed it back again. But anyhow, it wasn’t doing what it was supposed to do so don’t risk it. Although this thread has been awhile now, maybe there are some recent updates about this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S