DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the Mini 2 have Remote ID built in?

Its possible that all the hardware is there to implement Remote ID but you can't be sure because the standard hasn't been decided on yet. All we can do is wait and see. DJI has been transmitting your location for several generations of drones with their own system.... the same hardware may be adaptable to what the FAA requires.

Poking around in the app while connected to my Mini 2, I noticed the Remote ID is there, but cannot be turned on. I guess a software update could turn it on.

A few days ago firmware V01.05.0000 has been released which "adds support for Japanese RID requirements".

So it looks like the Mini 2 hardware is capable of transmitting Remote ID and it only needs a firmware update to activate it.

Reactions: eva2000
Sooo… it currently has no remote ID and I don’t know if that could be changed in an update or not. But, I just updated the new firmware yesterday and it said that it was going to add RID for Japan…hopefully this means we will be seeing a US RID software update soon.
1655823323838.png

Reactions: eva2000
I have mixed feelings about this whole Remote ID functionality.

On one hand I understand that law enforcement may want a way to quickly find the operator of a drone that is flying around the airport (which is a serious safety hazard and these people should have their drone taken away from them).

On the other hand it makes me feel uneasy knowing that the powers that be are able to track me while I'm enjoying my new hobby.

I have mixed feelings about this whole Remote ID functionality.

On one hand I understand that law enforcement may want a way to quickly find the operator of a drone that is flying around the airport (which is a serious safety hazard and these people should have their drone taken away from them).

On the other hand it makes me feel uneasy knowing that the powers that be are able to track me while I'm enjoying my new hobby.
You think they can't track you already? You use a cell phone?

I think it's sad that so many folks are fearful about future things that might affect their privacy, not realizing privacy is long gone. Just check your smartphone to see how many apps track your location even though the app doesn't even need your location to function. You know what they do with that data now? Sell it....

I think it's sad that so many folks are fearful about future things that might affect their privacy, not realizing privacy is long gone.

Personally, I want the RID activated in the Mini 2 and it probably will be. As the Mini 2 flies today with the Mini 2 Smart Battery, the Drone is sub-250 grams. But if you have old batteries from the mini and you shove them into your Mini 2, those 'black bricks" each weigh about 100-grams verses the 83-grams for the smart battery and those extra grams put you over the 250-gram threshold and you would have to both register your drone with the FAA and have RID when it ultimately is required in 2023.

The same is true if you install some of the accessories like pontoons, strobe lights, speakers, Mag Wheels, Fluffy Dice hanging from the rear view mirror, Fender Skirts, Mud Flaps, etc…

I want the RID active because I fly with the Smart Battery so I would not be required to transmit a RID, but I would enable it and I would enter something like "Shove It!" into the ID field…

As proposed, the FAA intends the RID to include the Drone's ID (FAA Registration Number), its Location and Altitude, its Velocity, its Takeoff Location and Elevation, and a Time Mark.

Only the ID would be user enterable and I would love for some busybody to come snooping around with the smart phone app that could read the RID and have them see "Shove It!"

Here is a recent posting about this very same subject…

You think they can't track you already? You use a cell phone?

I think it's sad that so many folks are fearful about future things that might affect their privacy, not realizing privacy is long gone. Just check your smartphone to see how many apps track your location even though the app doesn't even need your location to function. You know what they do with that data now? Sell it....
In my case I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite to run DJI Fly, and it does have GPS and a compass, but does not have a phone built in (but could). Is there another way authorities could trace my DJI Mini 2?

In my case I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite to run DJI Fly, and it does have GPS and a compass, but does not have a phone built in (but could). Is there another way authorities could trace my DJI Mini 2?
Here is a posting from a few days ago… since your Drone is transiting to your Controller and your controller is transmitting to your Drone, that's a lot of "Here I am…" So I would guess that they do not need your phone to figure that out…

U.S. Secret Service Visit

We don't know, do we? If there's anything I've learned in the past decade or so, post Snowden revelations, it's that "authorities" are quite creative in getting the information they want. Let's look at a hypothetical:

Say you're flying, legally or not, in an area of interest to security types, like near or over a defense installation, or border zone. Keep in mind that the connection between your tablet and drone is through public wifi bands. How hard would it be to monitor all traffic on those bands, looking for drone transmissions? How hard would it be to use that data?

Hopefully remote ID will be available via a software/firmware update for the Mini 2. I got one of my USAF buddies send me a Japanese Mini 2 that comes in at 199grams. I'll be able to lighten the prop guards to keep it under 250grams. As long as I don't need a remote ID module it will qualify as Cat 1 and can be flown over open air assemblies. Fingers crossed.

Doesn’t need remote ID… it’s under 250g. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Reactions: LoudThunder
If it was being used for commercial work (part 107) then yes it does need it.
That’s true, not sure what dji will do about that especially considering the mini series is not marketed for commercial use

It would cost dji lots of money to add rid so I don’t see it coming to the sub 250s anytime soon…

That’s true, not sure what dji will do about that especially considering the mini series is not marketed for commercial use
The pilot will have to buy a 3rd party RID module. From what I read from Drone XL website. Using a different add-on module, older DJI drone models will be able to comply with Remote ID. DJI will provide you with more information in the next few months.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi