DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashed - video and log

Consider @Thunderdrones for repair. He's in Georgia and has repaired many Mavic's for forum members.
I absolutely will when the drone is out of its warranty period.

I'm not sure now about sending it in. after the repairs it's been flying fine. I updated a few things. I'm going to see if I get the IMU error again. I also changed it so that now I can fly in ATTI mode instead of Sport mode so if there is a problem with sensors or other things, I can take over the flight.

Flying in ATTI mode is quite different! I've been flying around objects in my yard just getting practice. It's rather breezy today and going around objects, you don't realize how much the computer is compensating for the wind until you switch!

Reactions: BD0G and sar104
So, I go to do a test. I wanted to see about how fast I could rise vertically and move horizontally with different sets of props. I was only into the initial test two minutes with the regular 2 blade props when the drone starts going crazy. I was not far from home and I was able to turn around when it started going funny. It crashed on my property. The damage was to the front left leg. I could have fixed it farily quickly with JBweld but since I was on the plan I decided to just send it back for a replacement.

Video:

I'm not sure if there was a computer error or if something hit it or something else at 1:22 in the video something hits the Mavic. It was still flying but I could tell something was not right as the camera cannot stay steady. I was trying to come down quickly but it wouldn't go. A prop flew off just before it hit the ground.

So what do you think on this?
Did you notice your IMU was Initializeing before you started your flight? SmartSelect_20190528-140136_Samsung Internet.jpg

So, I go to do a test. I wanted to see about how fast I could rise vertically and move horizontally with different sets of props. I was only into the initial test two minutes with the regular 2 blade props when the drone starts going crazy. I was not far from home and I was able to turn around when it started going funny. It crashed on my property. The damage was to the front left leg. I could have fixed it farily quickly with JBweld but since I was on the plan I decided to just send it back for a replacement.

Video:

I'm not sure if there was a computer error or if something hit it or something else at 1:22 in the video something hits the Mavic. It was still flying but I could tell something was not right as the camera cannot stay steady. I was trying to come down quickly but it wouldn't go. A prop flew off just before it hit the ground.

It's probably not a good idea to fly if you have an IMU error. If I have any issues with my Mavic2 Zoom, I will not try to fly it until I solve the problem. These drones are very expensive, I would hate to see someone crash, or lose their drone.

I absolutely will when the drone is out of its warranty period.

I'm not sure now about sending it in. after the repairs it's been flying fine. I updated a few things. I'm going to see if I get the IMU error again. I also changed it so that now I can fly in ATTI mode instead of Sport mode so if there is a problem with sensors or other things, I can take over the flight.

Flying in ATTI mode is quite different! I've been flying around objects in my yard just getting practice. It's rather breezy today and going around objects, you don't realize how much the computer is compensating for the wind until you switch!
it makes more sense imho to alter tripod mode into atti and keep sport on - as you can set faster speeds for ascent/descent in sport mode - i use 8/8 in sport (also with an attack angle of 45 deg to gain speed) and 4/4 in P. ATTI mode uses same settings as P mode in that situation, separate from S and it is more convenient than keeping tripod mode around.

Doesn't the IMU initialize every time after your turn it on and before the first flight?
I had a problem with a IMU error with my Mavic2 Zoom. When you notice your drone drifting right or left, or raising up and down, and you see an error message on the screen
That means you have to calibrate the IMU. You had an error message stating not to move the aircraft while the IMU is Initializeing. If your IMU takes more than a minute or so, then turn off your drone and rc, then restart the rc and drone, then calibrate the IMU. That should fix the problem with the IMU.

I have a question, Why is the heading of the drone in the bottom left always jumping around before takeoff even. And then it still does this on takeoff?????

Reactions: raymo
If you're talking about the red arrow in the Radar Display, I've never seen mine jump around when the aircraft is static.

Reactions: jc44224
That's kind of my thoughts too. I think maybe a bird hit the prop causing it to break off. The entire hub came off a few seconds later, which is disconcerting.

The props did not look in bad condition when I took off. I inspected them before because I was intending to do the comparison between the 2 and 3 blade props. I've had blades, chip or crack, but never had one completely break in flight.

I did try to bring it down as quickly as possible safely. I'm thinking now that I should set the "T" mode to be ATTI mode. I'm not sure that would have helped here but I did get a lot of strange errors.

I used the drone a lot last week for my county. Between tornado damage for the NWS and a body search in the river, they kept me busy! I'm just glad I didn't have a problem while using it for them.

I hadn't changed props in a while. Is it something that I should change regularly, like tires? As in, they just wear out?
I would agree. Looks like the prop was not seated correctly or it failed.

Video:

Seems there was a catastrophic mechanical failure here:

For only a couple frames you see the props extend WAY into the frame. I'm sure this is where everything started to go south. I'm going to guess you lost one of the blades off the right-front rotor. Perhaps the Mavic was able to fly with only 1/2 of a rotor (one blade), but I'm sure this was its eventual demise.

D

Seems there was a catastrophic mechanical failure here:

View attachment 74400

For only a couple frames you see the props extend WAY into the frame. I'm sure this is where everything started to go south. I'm going to guess you lost one of the blades off the right-front rotor. Perhaps the Mavic was able to fly with only 1/2 of a rotor (one blade), but I'm sure this was its eventual demise.

D

No - that's not what happened. You are looking at around 57 seconds on the flight record, when the OP was using full forward elevator and the aircraft was pitched forwards at 34°. That's why the props are visible. The actual sequence of failures is explained in post #24.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter