DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone for 5 year old son, too young?

5 year old boy too young to fly his own drone with dad?

• Too young, not possible

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Too young, will be frustrating

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Little early, but not going to kill confidence

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Buy the boy a drone!!!!!

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog420

Reactions
Hello

My son is 5 years old and loves watching daddy fly. I own the Mavic 3 and I do let him fly it. I get above tree lines and let him only use the right thumb stick. I am in super rural area in Sonora Ca, so not worried about endangering others. I have a few questions:

Is he too young to fly his own drone?
What model would you buy for a 5 year old?
Anything else you could think is important that I am over looking?

I would be willing to spend 500-1500 dollars. (or more, if the perfect fit)

Any and all advice is welcome

For under $200 you can start him with a Tello Drone and a Gamesir T1s and see how that goes for a starter drone. I have one and it is a good little drone that can be flow indoors and outside in light wind.

I can only speak to using an Android phone but the controller can be bound to the Tello FPV app for more stability with a USB C cable.

I think a $50 limit would be more appropriate than $500 -$1500.
I would suggest loss of interest or a destructive crash are almost inevitable.
Besides is there a minimum legal age?
If you want to throw silly money at him then something like one of the Mavic's that allow primary and secondary controllers, he uses the secondary ONLY. You always use the primary.

I would also suggest that you should not be flying your drone if and when your son is flying his drone. You should be watching and supervising your son.
You can not give full attention to anything if you are flying yours and monitoring both your son and his drone at the same time. Thus, the Mavic primary/secondary might be the best combination for circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, can he pass the TRUST test at that age? 😂

Seriously I think it's to young and too much money. Maybe start with ground non motorized vehicles first like a bike or skates. If he can't handle those, should he really be flying things in the air that could hurt people, animals, cause accidents or break complicated FAA laws? I would wait until at least 12 for a drone. That's the youngest age where a kid can be left at home alone and make rational decisions not to burn the house down just because it looks fun.

I know you are excited for him, but teach him some other life skills first. Something like flying should be at the top of the pyramid of other skills not the first thing out of the gate. Start with teaching him basic responsibility so he doesn't turn into one of those A-Hole drone pilots causing all the problems ending up in the news.

@Bulldog420 KUDOS to you for involving your son at such a young age. By all means FOSTER his interest in this hobby and who knows one day he could be making a nice living at it.

I was fortunate to have my father start me at 4 years old with " ~1974 control line" and soon moved up to R/C aircraft. Sadly, I lost my father before we could fly R/C together but I was fortunate enough to have some amazing Role Models in my life who took me in, taught me to fly R/C, and helped teach me so much more than "just" R/C flying. I became an R/C flight instructor for several decades and moved on to start 2 different R/C related companies. Sold the first one and made out VERY well (it was a gasoline chainsaw engine to airplane engine conversion company) and started an Aerial Photography company several years later that's currently THRIVING and affording my wife and I to live in a manner we could NOT otherwise. In fact, because of our Aerial Photography company she was able to retire from her primary job at just 50 years old over a year ago. All of this because my DAD wanted to share his hobby with me at a very early age.

So stick with it and you could foster a LIFE TIME of Drone/UAS fun and money earnings.

I would suggest something along the lines of a Mavic Mini or Mini2. Very similar to flying characteristics of the Mavic 3 with a lot less "cost to repair/replace". Why not let him learn on something very similar to what Dad us using so when the time comes and you get that new Mavic 4 or 5 you can pass the M3 down to him and he'll be familiar with how to fly it.

Again KUDOS to you for wanting to teach him to fly as well as bring him along in your personal journey and exploration of this AMAZING hobby/industry.

It's amazing how quick people go to safety..... Are you guys worried about trees taking a hit? I had stated I live in an area with zero people where I fly.

As for money, no problem there. Just want what works best for a five year old. Any amount of money I spend on my child is appropriate if I deem it to be. Sorry 500-1500 sounds like a lot of money to you guys, but it's not for me. Not even close. More like super sizing your fries at McDonalds to me. Doesn't hurt the wallet one bit.

Really just looking for recommendations on what drone would fit a five year old best. Looks like this forum is full of paranoid old dudes with "stay off my lawn" tattooed to their face.

🤦

@Bulldog420 KUDOS to you for involving your son at such a young age. By all means FOSTER his interest in this hobby and who knows one day he could be making a nice living at it.

I was fortunate to have my father start me at 4 years old with " ~1974 control line" and soon moved up to R/C aircraft. Sadly, I lost my father before we could fly R/C together but I was fortunate enough to have some amazing Role Models in my life who took me in, taught me to fly R/C, and helped teach me so much more than "just" R/C flying. I became an R/C flight instructor for several decades and moved on to start 2 different R/C related companies. Sold the first one and made out VERY well (it was a gasoline chainsaw engine to airplane engine conversion company) and started an Aerial Photography company several years later that's currently THRIVING and affording my wife and I to live in a manner we could NOT otherwise. In fact, because of our Aerial Photography company she was able to retire from her primary job at just 50 years old over a year ago. All of this because my DAD wanted to share his hobby with me at a very early age.

So stick with it and you could foster a LIFE TIME of Drone/UAS fun and money earnings.

I would suggest something along the lines of a Mavic Mini or Mini2. Very similar to flying characteristics of the Mavic 3 with a lot less "cost to repair/replace". Why not let him learn on something very similar to what Dad us using so when the time comes and you get that new Mavic 4 or 5 you can pass the M3 down to him and he'll be familiar with how to fly it.

Again KUDOS to you for wanting to teach him to fly as well as bring him along in your personal journey and exploration of this AMAZING hobby/industry.
Thank you very much for this response , it really helps. You sir, have a positive attitude and has brightened up my day because of it. Thank you. I will buy a Mavic Mini I believe based off your recommendation. Have a great day, as you helped me along mine .

So another perspective from an age standpoint. I have grandchildren @ 5, 7 and 10 years of age and at our home we have RC cars, truck a Tello and a Q9s Drone. The 5 and 7 year old control all the RC's better than the eldest.

Of course you will follow the same rules and be with him when he flys and manage where he can fly, just like you do today. With my neighbors permission they are allowed to fly our two back yards, never around people and not higher than the houses and we live in a ranch. They can't use the drones without one of us sitting in the yard or basement with them and breaking the rules....well you lose your privileged to fly that day.

Our perspective is it teaches them some valuable life rules and consequences if they go outside the rules. Our grand kids were excited that they have these toys available when they come by and have been incredibly responsible. And for what it's worth, the youngest has the best control of the sticks and fly's all three batteries to the limit before we put them away and start charging.

It sounds like you maintain rules, only allowing him to use the one stick. It would be a blast to share the excitement with him when he gets his own drone and you could also use it to teach him some valuable life lessons regarding rules and discipline.

Anything else you could think is important that I am over looking?.................Looks like this forum is full of paranoid old dudes with "stay off my lawn" tattooed to their face.
You asked for advice, there is no need to be rude when the advice given isn't to your taste.

Are you guys worried about trees taking a hit? I had stated I live in an area with zero people where I fly.
Oh......... wont at least your son be there when he is flying a drone? I would hope that you would too.

So another perspective from an age standpoint. I have grandchildren @ 5, 7 and 10 years of age and at our home we have RC cars, truck a Tello and a Q9s Drone. The 5 and 7 year old control all the RC's better than the eldest.

Of course you will follow the same rules and be with him when he flys and manage where he can fly, just like you do today. With my neighbors permission they are allowed to fly our two back yards, never around people and not higher than the houses and we live in a ranch. They can't use the drones without one of us sitting in the yard or basement with them and breaking the rules....well you lose your privileged to fly that day.

Our perspective is it teaches them some valuable life rules and consequences if they go outside the rules. Our grand kids were excited that they have these toys available when they come by and have been incredibly responsible. And for what it's worth, the youngest has the best control of the sticks and fly's all three batteries to the limit before we put them away and start charging.

It sounds like you maintain rules, only allowing him to use the one stick. It would be a blast to share the excitement with him when he gets his own drone and you could also use it to teach him some valuable life lessons regarding rules and discipline.
Thank you for the response. Really helpful for my situation. You are awesome.

You asked for advice, there is no need to be rude when the advice given isn't to your taste.

Oh......... wont at least your son be there when he is flying a drone, I would hope that you would too.
They were off topic. Just looking for a drone recommendation, not parenting advice from random people on the internet.

I think it's great that you are introducing your son to our hobby. As to buying him his own drone, in a similar situation I would start with an inexpensive model. There will be crashes, and he may loose interest at some point.

I personally started with a $50 toy drone, though these can be frustrating due to a lack of stability under all but the calmest conditions. Again, under similar circumstances and considering what you indicated that you were willing to spend, I might opt for one of the DJI Minis. (Good flight characteristics, good camera, doesn't require pilot certification or registration)

Have fun!

Thank you very much for this response , it really helps. You sir, have a positive attitude and has brightened up my day because of it. Thank you. I will buy a Mavic Mini I believe based off your recommendation. Have a great day, as you helped me along mine .
The Mini has been replaced by the Mini SE so if you are going to go that route, get the SE as it is an improved Mini. The Mini 2 is the more advance version, but is likely not practical for a 5 year old.

Chris

Hello

My son is 5 years old and loves watching daddy fly. I own the Mavic 3 and I do let him fly it. I get above tree lines and let him only use the right thumb stick. I am in super rural area in Sonora Ca, so not worried about endangering others. I have a few questions:

- You know him best. I started sharing a number of hobbies with my kids from very young ages and I am glad I did. Sometimes it took a lot of effort from me, and in some cases they lost interest along the way. I am still glad I did it at the times I did.

- Since money is no object I would then buy 2 drones, a Tello and a Mini (SE has been mentioned). Tello for indoor fun and allowing him to get good 'stick' experience. I have a Tello for just that reason, my kids are grown up now but if friends' kids ask about the drones I happily allow them to try the Tello out indoors.

- I think your later posts suggest you are not looking for any other advice other than which drone you should buy ;)

- Maybe insure it if that is possible, I do not know what is available for this set of circumstance.
- Have fun.

- You know him best. I started sharing a number of hobbies with my kids from very young ages and I am glad I did. Sometimes it took a lot of effort from me, and in some cases they lost interest along the way. I am still glad I did it at the times I did.

- Since money is no object I would then buy 2 drones, a Tello and a Mini (SE has been mentioned). Tello for indoor fun and allowing him to get good 'stick' experience. I have a Tello for just that reason, my kids are grown up now but if friends' kids ask about the drones I happily allow them to try the Tello out indoors.

- I think your later posts suggest you are not looking for any other advice other than which drone you should buy ;)Maybe insure it if that is possible, I do not know what is available for this set of circumstance.
- Have fun.
I like the idea of two drones. Flying indoors is fun but not worth it with my Mavic. Perfect idea.

I was more asking what I was overlooking when purchasing a drone for a 5 year old. Gear I wasn't aware of that helps protect against crashes, ext ext. Wasn't expecting people to give parenting advice. One guy even said to make sure he has life skills before flying a drone........ What the hell does he think, I have an out of control kid with zero skills and I want to buy him a drone? Jesus, use some common sense, right?

My son gets strait A's
Plays 5 sports competitively (Baseball, Soccer, Marial Arts, Basketball and wight lifting)
He drives my UTV on the property no problem
Works around powerful animals
Uses power tools
Explores nature by himself and with friends
Has chores like feeding the animals, cleaning his room, and unloading the dishwasher

In order to have things like drones, we have currency at our house. He has to read 10 books for the new drone. I buy the drone, put it above the tv and label it with a sticky note saying 10 books.

As you can see, he has plenty of hobbies.. Plenty of life skills. Just looking for drone and drone accessories recommendations.

Hello

The best advice was the Mini 2 , its capable of anything a Pro Drone can do, and it will allow him to be proud of his work, learn editing on the computer and gain confidence in his skills. It will also be a nice back up drone for you if you were to need it.

You also have a huge support group for that drone , here on the Forum and i dont see how you can go wrong with that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain. and Float your Mini 2 on the Water.

At 5, I would stick to just letting him fly your M3 while you're there supervising. Buy him a mini2 in a few years (or whatever the equivalent is at that point) if he shows continued interest.

Who knows what the hobby will look like in a few years, it might even be fun to help him build his own.

Reactions: Bulldog420
Congrats @Bulldog420 for trying to bond with your son doing what you both love. I'm envious of you. I've been in the RC world well before my son were born and always wanted to introduce him to my hobby but sadly, he preferred his computer games instead of flying helis or running RC cars with dad.
If money is not a problem buy a good drone but at the same time something that is easy to fly and reliable (remember this machine will be the one he will use to learn and hopelessly will receive the blows of learning with it) When learning time passes and you'll think he is ready, an upgrade will be more than welcome.
IMHO a Mini 2 would be a very good starting drone for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock