DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I use more/less/same amount of drone video in the next wedding video?

• Use MORE drone clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Used the right amount

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Use LESS drone clips

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

jtcfilms

Reactions
Hi all! Just finished my first wedding video and wanted to share it with you and get some feedback! Unfortunately I didnt get to stage any shots or get many romantic drone shots or good staged slo mos, but I definitely will be in the next one.

Hope you guys enjoy

Nice video, well done. For me there is a little too much moving of the camera. In any video, whatever it is recorded on, there are times when the camera needs to be still and let the movement take place in front of it. The camera moving all or most of the time does not look natural to me.

Reactions: jtcfilms
For me personally, after intially setting the scene with the drone clips of the city scape and beach scape, I dont think the extra bit of city scape inserted between the getting ready scenes and after ceremony added anything - more distracting. Unless it was actually zooming in on the wedding/reception video. So I would recommend the initial stuff with the titles, then stick to the wedding prep, wedding couple, inside the venue etc. The clip zooming out and away from couple after they said their vows was nice, because it was personal/relevant. The couple wants to remember personal moments, not be wowed by amazing aerial cinematography.

So loved the title scene, other than the droney shot of couple in garden, the rest of drone shots where too much for me. For a wedding.

Well apparently my comment from last night was removed and so I am going to try to recreate it.

Overall, the color was spot on, the focus was awesome, length of the clips were generally neither too long or too short, and, most importantly, their story got told.
The establishing shots of the hotel and beach area were fine except for the gratuitous shots of the hotel added into the more personal interior workflow. Personally I think this detracted from the overall watchability of the video.
My most serious criticism is that you used simple cutaways between scenes. IMHO, while this is a perfectly reasonable technique for "action videos" it is too choppy, abrupt and frantic for a wedding video. You are telling a love story. I would suggest using some soft transitions (i.e. "cross dissolves" or "cross blurs") between the scenes. These transitions allow for a smoother, softer feel and is reflective of the emotions of this kind of event.

Keep up the good work, you definitely have talent.

Nice liked it, fun filled 2nd half.
Thanks and couldnt agree more - the reception was easily my favorite part. Learned so much and will change a lot of my style for future ceremony sections of vid.
Really appreciate your feedback here!

JTC Films

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Nice video, well done. For me there is a little too much moving of the camera. In any video, whatever it is recorded on, there are times when the camera needs to be still and let the movement take place in front of it. The camera moving all or most of the time does not look natural to me.
Love this feedback Estaban and something I didnt really think about - I know I didnt have much slo mo vid or romantic shots, but I definitely was moving a lot. Learned so much this first wedding video and will def use these tips in my next one!
Cheers,
JTC Films

For me personally, after intially setting the scene with the drone clips of the city scape and beach scape, I dont think the extra bit of city scape inserted between the getting ready scenes and after ceremony added anything - more distracting. Unless it was actually zooming in on the wedding/reception video. So I would recommend the initial stuff with the titles, then stick to the wedding prep, wedding couple, inside the venue etc. The clip zooming out and away from couple after they said their vows was nice, because it was personal/relevant. The couple wants to remember personal moments, not be wowed by amazing aerial cinematography.

So loved the title scene, other than the droney shot of couple in garden, the rest of drone shots where too much for me. For a wedding.

Super insightful and after thinking about this, definitely see where you're coming from! I had a small issue with this first video because it was my first one so of course I wanted to do a great job for the couple, but I also wanted to show my use of drone shots more than usual because thats definitely something that gives me a tiny bit of leverage with wedding video... at least for right now. Im sure here soon EVERYONE will be using drone video for their wedding vids.

As always I really appreciate your feedback here - definitely an integral part in making the next wedding video even better!

Cheers,
JTC Films

P.S. love your username!

Well apparently my comment from last night was removed and so I am going to try to recreate it.

Overall, the color was spot on, the focus was awesome, length of the clips were generally neither too long or too short, and, most importantly, their story got told.
The establishing shots of the hotel and beach area were fine except for the gratuitous shots of the hotel added into the more personal interior workflow. Personally I think this detracted from the overall watchability of the video.
My most serious criticism is that you used simple cutaways between scenes. IMHO, while this is a perfectly reasonable technique for "action videos" it is too choppy, abrupt and frantic for a wedding video. You are telling a love story. I would suggest using some soft transitions (i.e. "cross dissolves" or "cross blurs") between the scenes. These transitions allow for a smoother, softer feel and is reflective of the emotions of this kind of event.

Keep up the good work, you definitely have talent.

Ahh Jeff! I thought I saw your first comment and then was wondering where it went today - really appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback, especially this in depth! My responses below:

-I definitely thought I missed the color a tad bit - It was really hard for me to color correct to give it that "wedding feel." All I used was the color board in FCPX and was constantly playing with the exposure to give it that softer feel but was tough because I didnt want it to get washed out! Not to mention having to match it across different shots/angles where lighting changed - this was a huge challenge for me. Makes me happy that you appreciate the color considering the amount of time I put into correcting it... then fixing it again, and then once more... haha a lot more work when its your first video.
-Youre spot on about adding drone shots into the personal interior workflow - someone else even said the same thing and now that I re-watch, great call - my only caveat here was it was my first video in my wedding portfolio so while i tried to make it great for the couple, I wanted to show off my drone shots :) but i think i made it clear in the beginning.
-Great call about transitions as this is probably one of my biggest takeaways and most common feedback response - too choppy for a wedding video. (If you watch other vids on my youtube channel JTCFilms you can see my action/travel vids are choppy, to the music and show off so many different scenes... but this wedding was not an action vid so will def make a change!!! <3)
-I also think staging shots in my next video will help a lot as ill be able to slow down some romantic shots and transition between them a lot smoother!

All in all, I think I was close to the wedding video feel, but not quite there.
IMO my biggest 2 improvements need to be more romantic slow motion staged shots, and not showing as many clips (which created the choppy/quick vibe) - which will mean slowing clips down and transitioning slower and more smoothly between shots.

Super grateful for the feedback as I dive headfirst into the wedding video industry. And of course I appreciate the kind words about having talent - hopefully just the beginning.

Cheers,
JTC Films

Hi all! Just finished my first wedding video and wanted to share it with you and get some feedback! Unfortunately I didnt get to stage any shots or get many romantic drone shots or good staged slo mos, but I definitely will be in the next one.

Hope you guys enjoy

I felt it and it moved me. You must have done a lot right. Love the over dub and “moments”. Nice work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU