DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say

D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China

Wrong, they might not be, THEY ARE and have been for a while. I trust the US Army to be my anti-malware informer.

My insurance company wanted me to install a device in my car so I could get an insurance discount. There were other reasons up their sleeve.
Of course an Insurance Company would want to know what kind of a driver you are. After all, they are on the hook if you screw up. Why would you be surprised that an insurance company would want to monitor your driving? I agree that Google Maps has a vast storehouse of pictures that are freely available on the WWW. There certainly is a risk there if you have something to hide.

What was the device that the insurance company want to use . Here in Canada they follow the US a couple years behind

Oh it has been out for years, you plug it into your car and they can see how often you drive, at what speeds, how you accelerate and brake etc. The GPS also tracks where you have been to and how long you stay there. It is for them to really see what type of driving you do so they know what risk you are to them. Surely they must offer this device in Canada. They also tout it as a teen driver monitor system for parents.

Can you imagine, at a time if a tense standoff between the US and China, all DJI drones suddenly remotely activate and strategically swarm to their nearest critical infrastructure and self destruct by initiating a thermal runaway? The results may be better than what happened when the US tried to use suicide bat bombs against Japan. Oh the humanity!

Reactions: Former Member
Of course an Insurance Company would want to know what kind of a driver you are. After all, they are on the hook if you screw up. Why would you be surprised that an insurance company would want to monitor your driving? I agree that Google Maps has a vast storehouse of pictures that are freely available on the WWW. There certainly is a risk there if you have something to hide.

Would love to address this but gotta stay on topic.

Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say

Last edited:
Can you imagine, at a time if a tense standoff between the US and China, all DJI drones suddenly remotely activate and strategically swarm to their nearest critical infrastructure and self destruct by initiating a thermal runaway? The results may be better than what happened when the US tried to use suicide bat bombs against Japan. Oh the humanity!

Dude, you might not be too far from the truth, and it's happened before. Without straying too far off topic, one of the the main reasons why the US dropped Fat Man and Little Boy was because of the Kamikazes. They were self propelled explosive projectiles. As the US got closer to enemy shores, the Kamikazes intensified. It was at that point that the president decided that the loss of life would be too enormous to attempt a landing on the shores of Japan. To break Japans ability to sustain war, the US took extreme action. Which brings us full circle to our main topic. China gathering intel and info on US military installations.

By the way, it would probably be called a swarm, and several armies currently use them!

The Era of the Drone Swarm Is Coming, and We Need to Be Ready for It - Modern War Institute

From the above link:

Media reports indicate that China has successfully tested a swarm of one thousand drones. And China appears to be interested in swarm capability as a method of attacking US aircraft carriers.

Is the US Army Warfare Institute at West Point being paranoid? Just because youre paranoid doesnt mean that someone isnt out to get you.

Ive gotta go now, making finishing touches on the backyard nuclear bunker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
You really could not make up this sort of paranoia.

Lots of threads from people inthe US shouting about China "Spying"
Equal or greater number of threads complaining about DJI NFZ being over zellous and you can't fly anywhere

Which is it?

It seems China is spying on open public areas with nothing sensitive in them where 95% of the video captured in the areas "spied" on is uploaded by the American pilots to the US systems Youtube Vimeo etc. This also includes some videos I have seen from flyers trying to see inside NFZ because they don't know what is in them (they are secret)

As mentioned if you want to spy on the USA Instagram Facebook, Youtube and Google Earth are the best sources. They al seem to be American Systems.

As for spying .... AT&T exchanges anyone.?

Just FYI, Youtube and Vimeo are American owned companies. Not owned by Chinese Nationals.

I've looked at hundreds of flight records and I haven't learned a thing about critical infrastructure from it.
I see that lots of people fly in parks, beaches, mountains, forests and their backyards.
I see that some fly high or far and some crash but still nothing spy worthy.

If China is hoping to gather worthwhile information, data from DJI drones would have to be one of the worst ways they could attempt to do it.

I agree, if anyone in China thinks that they can gather critical data from monitoring my flights then I’m afraid they’re smoking something illegal!
Google earth has far more data that’s of higher quality that DJI drones can provide.

Reactions: jagraphics
Just FYI, Youtube and Vimeo are American owned companies. Not owned by Chinese Nationals.

that is what I said

"It seems China is spying on open public areas with nothing sensitive in them where 95% of the video captured in the areas "spied" on is uploaded by the American pilots to the US systems Youtube Vimeo etc."

I agree, if anyone in China thinks that they can gather critical data from monitoring my flights then I’m afraid they’re smoking something illegal!
Google earth has far more data that’s of higher quality that DJI drones can provide.

Yes but Google pixelates things and adds a Secret CIA offset when foreigners look at google Earth.... Honest.
Also as you can see from Google the earth is flat...

OK I was leaving anyway :)

Reactions: sar104
that is what I said

"It seems China is spying on open public areas with nothing sensitive in them where 95% of the video captured in the areas "spied" on is uploaded by the American pilots to the US systems Youtube Vimeo etc."

And the other 5% could be of US military installations, data which was secretly extracted by the Chinese from US Army flight logs and media.

The military took this matter very seriously. So did I. Army got caught with its pants down and DJI got caught with its hand in the cookie jar.

And the other 5% could be of US military installations, data which was secretly extracted by the Chinese from US Army flight logs and media.

The military took this matter very seriously. So did I. Army got caught with its pants down and DJI got caught with its hand in the cookie jar.

I aggree the US Army got caught with it's pants down.
They made a VERY basic mistake.
These are the people you said you trusted.

I aggree the US Army got caught with it's pants down.
They made a VERY basic mistake.
These are the people you said you trusted.

Yes I trust them with my life every day, as do 327 million other people living here in the USA. The Army only mistake was an oversight, and what they discovered was a deliberate attempt at subterfuge and espionage. It was a "basic mistake" because they trusted a wolf in sheeps clothing as an ally and independent contractor who was not properly vetted. They wont make that mistake again.

North Korea did the same thing when "The Interview" was released. Their "Guardians of Peace", a group the FBI claims has ties to North Korea, cyber sabotaged Sony Picture Entertainment because Kim Jong-un didnt like the subject of the movie. Was that an accident? Nope.

Last edited:
As the US got closer to enemy shores, the Kamikazes intensified. It was at that point that the president decided that the loss of life would be too enormous to attempt a landing on the shores of Japan. To break Japans ability to sustain war, the US took extreme action. Which brings us full circle to our main topic. China gathering intel and info on US military installations.
it is an offtopic, but, the one and only reason for nuclear explosions was to demo to Stalin what will allies do to USSR if red army will continue to push across Europe to concur all other countries left there.
so, lives of those innocent japanese civilians pretty much saved rest west europeans from a fate to be exterminated in the gulag. war with japan at that point was already over.

as of chinese - they will not need drones these days to win a war. it will be enough just to shut down all the routers and cell and radio equipment - as 99% of all components in all cell towers and internet hubs are all made by them. also, quite an obvious thing, as who controls the communication - controls the outcome.

Oh it has been out for years, you plug it into your car and they can see how often you drive, at what speeds, how you accelerate and brake etc. The GPS also tracks where you have been to and how long you stay there. It is for them to really see what type of driving you do so they know what risk you are to them. Surely they must offer this device in Canada. They also tout it as a teen driver monitor system for parents.

The babysitter devices that you are talking about I believe are the ones that plug into the data port under the dash . The only ones I know of using that in Canada on the west coast is big companies. They are on the company vehicles. There are some trucking outfits that put full GPS unit’s on big trucks . It records everything. I have not heard of any insurance company’s pushing it into the private sector .

Last edited:
Why don't we just stick to the subject of Mavic's and not try to compete with the likes of Ann Landers gossip column. Enough said, let's move on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest