DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say

It’s almost nothing compared to what google allows them to access. That should be scaring people.
And Facebook and Instagram and WhatsApp and so on.... We are living in a world of total manipulation and we don’t even know what’s still hidden here and there. We could be on the way living in total paranoia. This is not good and this is not how the human being is supposed to live and focus to

I've started with a good understanding of what's on my flying tablet and how little access DJI has to it.
I'll make an effort to answer your questions after you answer mine.

What data are you convinced that DJI is collecting from you?
How is DJI getting this from you?
What use is that data to anyone?

And I'll remind you .. Post #31 sums up the actual situation pretty well.
Post #31 simply states an opinion as to the bandaid that DJI applied to the wound.

DJI is asking for forgiveness again. They should be proactive sometimes and ask for permission instead of hacking data and not informing anyone of it.

If DJI was an American company, and I was not concerned about it being a foreign communist government behind the hacking attempts, I probably wouldn't be so bothered by it. Between DJI's questionable business ethics and China's intent on gleaning American military secrets, there is reason to be alarmed. Just because you personally currently don't see any problems with the software, doesn't mean they aren't there. There is reason to be suspicious. Or you could just put your hands over your ears and make believe it isn't happening and hasn't happened.

Reactions: Elude
You can send a letter of thanks to the US Army for what little access to your data DJI currently has.
DJI had no access to my data before the US Army thing ... just the same as now.
You seem to have made up your mind regardless of facts so I'll bow out of a pointless discussion.

I find that it's usually best to make up one's mind before getting into a discussion about something, just so you know which side of the fence you're on and have facts to back up your assertions.

I don't find this discussion pointless as much as I do informative. It's too bad you feel that way.

85 posts and nothing about a simple way to keep your data to yourself. Check out No Limit Drones. My mavic doesn't store flight records.

Reactions: Former Member
85 posts and nothing about a simple way to keep your data to yourself. Check out No Limit Drones. My mavic doesn't store flight records.

Unless you choose to sync your flights to the DJI servers then the flight records/photos/videos don't leave your phone anyway. If the GO app has a network connection then it talks to various servers, both DJI and third party - firmware update checks, GEO updates, requests for map data based on location etc.. In the past it has also connected to various advertising sites, which I suspect may somehow generate a revenue stream for DJI. If you don't like that level of communication then you can run the Pilot app in local data mode or use a different control app, such as Litchi.

Reactions: Meta4
but is the type of article that might help sell the NYT.
If it is in the NY Times, it must be fake news like yesterday when Trump decided to remove sanctions on the North Koreans because they are working hard to dismantle their nuclear arsenal and promote freedom and democracy.

The allegations could not be independently confirmed but you wonder!
Drone Maker D.J.I. May Be Sending Data to China, U.S. Officials Say
It seems the police & general infrastructure are potentially being exploited by unwitting industrial/commercial users. If true, this will inevitably cause the U.S. government to call for a ban for using these products for "government use". I suspect the commercial industry associated with the government would follow if they wish to keep those lucrative contracts.
I am hopeful that the drone maker would return to its roots and support the hobbyist/enthusiast. It seems the focus these days is on commercial markets, clearing airspace for commercial use, while denying it to the hobbyist, forcing enthusiast/hobbies to the back seat while imposing ever-increasing regulation to make any hobbyist rethink aerial photography using a drone.
It is not a joke to tell you that essentially, you need to be a private fixed-wing pilot to fly a drone. You are essentially completing ground school. The cost is getting very prohibitive. I just finished my ground school test (all about hypoxia, altimeter readings, icing effects on the wings, low to high-pressure aerodrome instrumentation readings, propeller pitch effects on long flights with respect to gas mileage, runway icing and mud effects on takeoff and landing) not making this up, we're talking a quadcopter here, lol. This is the current Canadian rules as of June this year (2019). Now I must pay another $250 and schedule a flight review to fly my Phantom II Pro. Again, you can't make this up. All this to be able to take a photo of my property/roof, or to fly the drone within 100 feet while taking a group photo of my family. That's the minimum requirement and its no joke.

I agree, the US Army did screw up. They trusted DJI not to embed spyware in their computers. They wont make that mistake again, and I'm sure that heads rolled because of it.

21st century warfare is evolving.

Hardly. The US Military screwed up and is trying to make a virtue of if after the fact.

I've looked at hundreds of flight records and I haven't learned a thing about critical infrastructure from it.
I see that lots of people fly in parks, beaches, mountains, forests and their backyards.
I see that some fly high or far and some crash but still nothing spy worthy.

If China is hoping to gather worthwhile information, data from DJI drones would have to be one of the worst ways they could attempt to do it.

Not to mention all the nfz that they restrict us from flying near anything that might make it worth their time

Reactions: jagraphics
Not to mention all the nfz that they restrict us from flying near anything that might make it worth their time
Well DJI evidently found its way into the systems of the United States army and as a confidential supplier, were gleaning confidential information from the military. I guess DJI and China considered that worth their time.

Listen, I am all for DJ i's inventions and technology. It's their suspicious behavior, business morals and ethics, and other ways they do business that has me uncomfortable.

Forgiveness is easier than permission seems to he their mantra.

Last edited:
Reactions: nalo_b
Well DJI evidently found its way into the systems of the United States army and as a confidential supplier, were gleaning confidential information from the military. I guess DJI and China considered that worth their time.

Listen, I am all for DJ i's inventions and technology. It's their suspicious behavior, business morals and ethics, and other ways they do business that has me uncomfortable.

Forgiveness is easier than permission seems to he their mantra.

Taking info from the military is a whole different story. That's something my dad always talk about. Why our government would trust outsourcing parts for military purposes.

Reactions: Former Member
Taking info from the military is a whole different story. That's something my dad always talk about. Why our government would trust outsourcing parts for military purposes.
I always wondered the same thing. So many military materials are produced by private contractors.Everything from belt buckles to the F22 raptor. A person would think that it would be cheaper for the military to just design and produce these items themselves but it's just not the case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair