DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone orientation on map

Awesome1

Reactions
I just received my new replacement mavic pro platinum thru the refresh program and I noticed that the orientation/positioning of the drone on the map is backwards. It shows the drone facing in the opposite direction. Never experienced this before and being fairly new to this hobby, I just don't know how to correct this issue. Does anyone know the fix for this issue? Thanks and happy flying!

Thank you itsneedtokno!
It has nothing to do with the IMU and likely has nothing to do with the drone's compass either.

Can you describe the issue better?
A screenshot from the app would be helpful.

It has nothing to do with the IMU and likely has nothing to do with the drone's compass either.

Can you describe the issue better?
A screenshot from the app would be helpful.
Where did I say that either one of those was definitively the problem?

I said to recalibrate, which should be done when the orientation is wrong.

"and likely has nothing to do with the compass either"

so then let's make assumptions right...?

No. How bout just recal (not like it's hard) and see if that fixes it.

Maybe he doesn't need to write 5 pages of information for you to determine it was still a bad calibration. Start with the calibration, if that doesn't work... THEEEEEEEN he could describe in further detail

No. How bout just recal (not like it's hard) and see if that fixes it.
It is always best to find out what the problem actually is rather than just doing things that probably don't need to be done.
There's nothing at all in what he's given for a description so far, that suggests he has any issue with his drone's compass and there's no way it has anything to do with the IMU.

Last edited:
I did recalibrate the imu and compass. Probably should have done it right out of the box but I didn't as both were reading excellent. After I did both calibrations the same issue was present. To describe the issue a little better.....when you look at the screen and you are directly behind the mavic with the front of the drone also pointed forward, the orientation showed the front of the drone as being pointed at myself and the controller thus indicating the opposite orientation. I was playing with the icons on the map and it corrected the orientation. I had done this on my last flight as well but on start up it still shows reverse orientation. Honestly, I'm not sure what I did to correct the orientation and my thoughts are there is a feature on the map or controller to correct and or reverse the orientation shown on the map. Thoughts?
It is always best to find out what the problem actually is rather than just doing things that probably don't need to be done.
There's nothing at all in what he's given for a description so far, that suggests he has any issue with his drone's compass and there's no way it has anything to do with the IMU.

I did recalibrate the imu and compass. Probably should have done it right out of the box but I didn't as both were reading excellent.
If it was important DJI would tell you to do that, but they don't.
I was playing with the icons on the map and it corrected the orientation. I had done this on my last flight as well but on start up it still shows reverse orientation. Honestly, I'm not sure what I did to correct the orientation and my thoughts are there is a feature on the map or controller to correct and or reverse the orientation shown on the map. Thoughts?
This is the clue that I needed to unlock the mystery.
Are you seeing something like this?
The drone and the controller haven't moved, but the drone icon is pointing the wrong way in the bottom image.
i-DgWJSrQ-L.jpg

The icon in top left of the map window looks like a compass needle ... or it might look like a padlock (on top of a compass needle).
Each time you touch it, it swaps.
That allows you to have the map locked in north-up orientation or for the map to rotate so that up is the direction you are facing (Track-up).
But it can be a bit "sticky" and not rotate properly when looking at the map in the small window and display incorrectly as above.

If you touch the centre of the map, it becomes the main view and isn't so sticky.
If you have it in track-up, now the whole map rotates as you turn to face a different direction and the drone icon should always be pointing the right way.
Like this ...
Compass needle icon locked - North-up - drone icon points the right way
i-3hKgBMN-L.jpg

Compass needle icon unlocked, map rotates freely to display track-up as I turn, but the drone icon also rotates to stay pointing correctly.
i-7HNWDdS-L.jpg

Experiment with yours and see if that's what you've observed.

@Meta4 I don't know why I decided to take that personally earlier, you are up there with sar104 so please don't be offended by my outburst of selfishness. That's out of character for me, but my life has been out of character lately. Sorry.

Have a great night. Stay safe.

@Meta4 I don't know why I decided to take that personally earlier, you are up there with sar104 so please don't be offended by my outburst of selfishness. That's out of character for me, but my life has been out of character lately. Sorry.

Itsneedtokno, i have been there many times in my life without being so gracious. I think I will follow your example in the future.

Reactions: itsneedtokno

We're all human my friend. I've been there too so I understand. Stay well and safe and I do appreciate your help.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_