Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone SAR training in Mentone was a resounding success

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
Based on the comments I received afterwards, the drone SAR training in Mentone today was a resounding success. We had pilots participating from as far as St Louis and Indianapolis. There were also several law enforcement pilots. When we were done, people were wanting to know when they could sign up for the next session in Atlanta (each session is limited to 20 pilots.) Told them not to worry, anyone who was there today has priority.

I think people there today now realize that Search & Rescue with a drone is a demanding task requiring training and practice. We're planning the next session sometime in June just north of Atlanta, focusing on different skills (grid searches & orbits.)

We also have several new names to add to the National Registry.

Wish I could attend as well. Seems like such and interesting topic!

Youtube Live Stream?

Not sure how practical that is because we were running 3 different scenarios simultaneously with multiple drones in the air at the same time (sometimes as many as 5 or 6).

Thanks to both Thunderdrones & FatherXmas; without them it couldn't have happened.

Great report. Glad things went well. This could be a good thing to try in different locales. Certainly is an avenue for helping others and possibly getting positive press and positive view of drones by LEO.

Yes. We are open to travel provided someone in the receiving location can organize it and get enough pilots to participate to make it worthwhile.

Upon my return to Huntsville, I got a call from the local Sheriff SWAT team; they just got a M2ED and want me to work with them. Yes, this could dramatically change the view that many LEO have towards drone activity.

Next session will be just outside Atlanta sometime in Jun (the home base for Thunderdrones.) The skills we will be focusing on at that session are grid searches and orbits.

Last edited:
Some jurisdictions have already have adopted drone use in the West. Campbell CA recently flew a drone around a building with a barricaded subject with hostages.
On February 8th, a Denny’s restaurant in Campbell was the site of a nearly 12-hour armed standoff, where a man started his 5AM day with a cup of coffee, but later pulled a gun on a Denny’s employee, according to an earlier report from the San Jose Mercury News. Apparently, the Silicon Valley cops had plenty of toys to help with the situation — police reportedly sent a bomb-sniffing robot inside the building to take pictures of the suspect, as well as using an “audible diversionary device.”
But it was the Impossible Aerospace drone that got an enviable vantage point above the building, where it flew for 45 minutes, using its thermal sensors and standard cameras to monitor the building’s perimeter and assist in the actual arrest.
US_1.jpg

The company says that though the SWAT team used tear gas canisters to flush the suspect out, the drone’s live video feed let law enforcement see that the gas was leaking out of a kitchen vent rather than getting him to leave. So they added more tear gas, and that apparently did the trick.

Embedded video

According to the Mercury News report, the tear gas is believed to have been what caused the suspect to finally leave the building after nearly 12 hours, and peacefully surrender to police.

“At this recent event involving a barricaded subject with a gun, Impossible Aerospace provided a piece of intelligence that our agency previously has never had access to,” reads part of a statement from Campbell police captain Gary Berg. “The use of the US-1 drone helped us optimize the safety of our officers and the community while providing valuable information to the command post through the live video feed.”
I used to bike past that Denny’s on my way to the local library. It’s surreal for me to imagine a drone flying above it, helping to sniff out a suspect.
But it’s only one of the many instances we’ve heard of law enforcement — and for that matter, criminals — using these devices.

I also personally spotted a NHP (Nevada Highway Patrol) officer using a drone above highway 95 just south of Las Vegas NV. I wanted to pull over walk down the Highway and shimmy up next to him and just give him a head nod and say "Sup" while I flew my Mavic with him, but thought better of it. :)

Not sure how practical that is because we were running 3 different scenarios simultaneously with multiple drones in the air at the same time (sometimes as many as 5 or 6).

Thanks to both Thunderdrones & FatherXmas; without them it couldn't have happened.
And thanks to you too for your tireless efforts.

Drone(s) are a useful tool if used in a containment area where police (like referenced above in Campbell) have boxed in a person of interest. The only problem in my town (Santa Clara,CA) half of the town east of El Camino is in a NFZ (no fly zone) because of the San Jose Airport. Getting authorization is a pain in the shorts.

Based on the comments I received afterwards, the drone SAR training in Mentone today was a resounding success. We had pilots participating from as far as St Louis and Indianapolis. There were also several law enforcement pilots. When we were done, people were wanting to know when they could sign up for the next session in Atlanta (each session is limited to 20 pilots.) Told them not to worry, anyone who was there today has priority.

I think people there today now realize that Search & Rescue with a drone is a demanding task requiring training and practice. We're planning the next session sometime in June just north of Atlanta, focusing on different skills (grid searches & orbits.)

We also have several new names to add to the National Registry.
Where you able to get me added to the National Registry.
I got an message from the forum that my message did not get to you.

I would like to say thanks to Bob@rcdancer, Rob@Thunderdrones, and Charlie@fatherxmas for providing the DSAR training on Saturday, 30 March 2019. I thought that it was outstanding. Me and my wife really did enjoy the training. I learn a lot from all three of you.

First I was to give thanks to Charlie@fatherxmas for allowing the training to be held at his church. I also would like to apologize to him for my foul language that came out of my mouth when I was wearing the DJI racing goggles. (I prayed and ask for forgiveness from the lord Jesus). I just got a little excited, those things are awesome. My wife also enjoy the goggles too.

Second, I like to give thanks to Rob@thunderdrones. Thanks for teaching me how to use the litchi app. You also give me some confident when it came to flying my drones beyond line of sight. Especially when my CrystalSky Ultra Bright battery died on me. (lesson 101 - pay attention to the juice in your batteries prior to flying) I had spend so much time in setting up the litchi app prior to flying, that when I finally got the litchi app working with my M2 pro, I forgot to check the battery on my CrystalSky Ultra Brightness. The display went blank while I was flying, and with Bob there with me, he told me that I still had control of the drone, even thro that I could not see it in line of sight. Wow!
The drone kept on doing the way points until the end of the pre-program flight. Rob knows drones. He is one to have in your hip pocket when it come to drones. Thanks alot.

Third, Rob@rcdancer, lots of thanks goes out to you, host, planner, organizer...thanks. Most of from me thank for teaching me those figure 8's. I did not realize that there was so many ways to do a figure eight. I got two of them that I new about, but those other two, I am going to practice them until I get them..the plan is to get them perfect.

Locating the truck and the dummy in the surrounding areas, the fields and out by the school, I thought was an excellent idea. It gave us something to look for, and try and find with the drones. I do not think people (that do not own a drone) really understands how hard it is to see things or a person on a drone camera when you are flying above ground. They are always worried about privacy issue, like spying.

overall, I really did enjoy the training. I also enjoying to putting a face to an email, and talking to, and meeting several of the other members there at the training that are from the forum. Everyone that I talked to had different flying experiences with their drones and some was similar to mines. It was great just to share experiences with different drone operators.

I hope you guys invite me back in the future.

After the training, me and my wife went to Look out Mountain and toured the park. it was the first that I even been there. It was great. We took lots of pictures. I ask the manager if I fly, short answer no, privacy. I king of expected that answer, before I ask the question, did not hurt to try.
anyway I enjoyed the park.

Attachments

• 20190330_115715.jpg
    20190330_115715.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190330_140015 (1).jpg
    20190330_140015 (1).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190330_140015.jpg
    20190330_140015.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190330_145943.jpg
    20190330_145943.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190331_121247.jpg
    20190331_121247.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190331_121338.jpg
    20190331_121338.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190331_121802.jpg
    20190331_121802.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I would like to say thanks to Bob@rcdancer, Rob@Thunderdrones, and Charlie@fatherxmas for providing the DSAR training on Saturday, 30 March 2019. I thought that it was outstanding. Me and my wife really did enjoy the training. I learn a lot from all three of you.

First I was to give thanks to Charlie@fatherxmas for allowing the training to be held at his church. I also would like to apologize to him for my foul language that came out of my mouth when I was wearing the DJI racing goggles. (I prayed and ask for forgiveness from the lord Jesus). I just got a little excited, those things are awesome. My wife also enjoy the goggles too.

LOL. Yeah, the goggles often elicit that kind of reaction. I think your wife is now open to spending the $s on them. :)

Second, I like to give thanks to Rob@thunderdrones. Thanks for teaching me how to use the litchi app. You also give me some confident when it came to flying my drones beyond line of sight. Especially when my CrystalSky Ultra Bright battery died on me. (lesson 101 - pay attention to the juice in your batteries prior to flying) I had spend so much time in setting up the litchi app prior to flying, that when I finally got the litchi app working with my M2 pro, I forgot to check the battery on my CrystalSky Ultra Brightness. The display went blank while I was flying, and with Bob there with me, he told me that I still had control of the drone, even thro that I could not see it in line of sight. Wow!
The drone kept on doing the way points until the end of the pre-program flight. Rob knows drones. He is one to have in your hip pocket when it come to drones. Thanks alot.

Third, Rob@rcdancer, lots of thanks goes out to you, host, planner, organizer...thanks. Most of from me thank for teaching me those figure 8's. I did not realize that there was so many ways to do a figure eight. I got two of them that I new about, but those other two, I am going to practice them until I get them..the plan is to get them perfect.

Locating the truck and the dummy in the surrounding areas, the fields and out by the school, I thought was an excellent idea. It gave us something to look for, and try and find with the drones. I do not think people (that do not own a drone) really understands how hard it is to see things or a person on a drone camera when you are flying above ground. They are always worried about privacy issue, like spying.

overall, I really did enjoy the training. I also enjoying to putting a face to an email, and talking to, and meeting several of the other members there at the training that are from the forum. Everyone that I talked to had different flying experiences with their drones and some was similar to mines. It was great just to share experiences with different drone operators.

I hope you guys invite me back in the future.

After the training, me and my wife went to Look out Mountain and toured the park. it was the first that I even been there. It was great. We took lots of pictures. I ask the manager if I fly, short answer no, privacy. I king of expected that answer, before I ask the question, did not hurt to try.
anyway I enjoyed the park.

You're very welcome and thank you for the positive feedback. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. We appreciated you and your wife driving so far for the meeting, and your positive attitude and constant smile. Despite some equipment glitches, you stuck with it and competed the mission.

Hope to see you back at the next meeting in Atlanta. If you have any questions, or need any help before then, please feel free to reach out here or directly to me at [email protected].

I also wanted to give a special shout out the the Desoto Rescue Squad, and Jason and Mike, for allowing us to use their time and equipment to make this a great meeting. And also thank you to Charlies wife for her help in organizing things. Jason brought his Epson Moverio BT300s, that you can see in one of the pictures above, and was kind enough to let people use them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15