DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Excessive Video Latency with Huawei Mate 9

Just a quick update, I've decided to switch to a Galaxy s8+. Dji go wasn't the only thing giving me problems. Bluetooth was also very spotty on the mate 9.
So far it seems to have almost cut the time in half. It's not perfect but ~230 ms is a lot more usable.

Then I don't understand

The aircraft is broadcasting video to the controller or the mobile phone?

If to the controller and latency is high, then it's a dji issue - not mobile issue.

Are there any updates on this from anyone? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mate 9, but if latency is an issue, I may reconsider.

LP

I never noticed the latency until I stumbled on this thread. Don't have any new figures yet (maybe sunday).

D8C_6844.JPG
open
I updated everything (Mate 9, DJI Goggles, App and Mavic) and had a look: Latency with the goggles is about 180ms. With the Mate9 it's about 380ms.

Bummer. 380 sounds high for a flagship phone. Guess it will be going back soon after it arrives. This sucks. I really don't want to have to buy an overpriced iCrap device for this!

LP

Definitely don't replace with a Sony xz, mine cooks running dji go 4, after 10mins flying latency about a second, had a few overtemp shutdowns aswell, its fine with any other app I've used, looking for a dedicated device at the moment for less than £100

Well I just did a test with all my devices - my Moto G3, Samsung Galaxy TabPro 8.4 and now the Mate 9 that just got here. I'm starting to think the phone doesn't play a huge role in the lag. I did as others have done and used my old iPad as a target, and took pics of it and Go 4 on each device using a third camera. I did each test several times and averaged the lag.

Moto G3 = 392ms
TabPro 8.4 = 401ms
Mate 9 = 394ms

The G3 is running Android Marshmallow, the TabPro is running Jelly Bean, and the Mate 9 is running Nougat. The Mate 9 was fresh out of the box, just set up enough to get Go 4 installed and running.

My conclusion...it ain't worth buying a high end device.
LP

Just got back from flying two batteries with the Mate 9. Even though I knew the lag wouldn't be better, I did want to at least see how it did in real use (with Nougat). NICE phone. Big, bright, crisp, responsive, and not one hiccup with the latest firmware and version of Go 4. I was in bright overhead sun, without a screen protector or sunshade and I could see it without much of a struggle. Sound is full as well, so no problem hearing the voice prompts. Overall I like it, but I really don't have a clue how anybody with Android is getting less than 3-400ms lag. Any ideas on a 5-6" display Android phone with reduced lag that isn't a Samsung or LG and doesn't cost as much as an iCrap? (I don't like Samsung's touchwiz, and I've had bad experiences with LG products).

LP

I don't know if everyone is doing it the same, but I set up my iPad as a target, with the Mavic pointed at it and focused. Then I set up the RC with the device to be tested (phone, tablet, whatever) right next to the iPad so I can take a picture of both of them at the same time with a third device. Then I start a stopwatch on the iPad, snap some pics, and do the math on the clock difference between the iPad and the device being tested.

LP

Overall I like it, but I really don't have a clue how anybody with Android is getting less than 3-400ms lag. Any ideas on a 5-6" display Android phone with reduced lag that isn't a Samsung or LG and doesn't cost as much as an iCrap? (I don't like Samsung's touchwiz, and I've had bad experiences with LG products).
LP

Since you're on a Huawey phone, I can add that the P9 Lite works very good: the lag is in the 100s if not less. never a disconnection, never died/rebooted due to heat even in 41°C temps

Reactions: Clinton1
Since you're on a Huawey phone, I can add that the P9 Lite works very good: the lag is in the 100s if not less. never a disconnection, never died/rebooted due to heat even in 41°C temps

Ugh! You're killing me. I could get that one dirt cheap too! The reason I passed on it was because of the smaller, dimmer screen. I'm still struggling to understand how a phone with much more horsepower RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX AFTER REMOVING BLOATWARE could perform worse than the P9 lite. I REALLY like the screen on the Mate 9. Maybe I'll order a P9 Lite to try.

When was the last time you measured your lag? Was it with 4.1.5 and .1000? If not, could I trouble you to do another measurement?

Thanks for the feedback!
LP

You can always try older versions of the App DJI Go4, I have tried lots of them and 4.0.7 was the best for my phone. I am using an LG G3 32GB 3GB Ram with Snapdragon 801 @ 2.4GHz. It used to be a flagship phone back in 14-15 but it works great with my mav. Android 6, debugger mode an developer mode ON as well as airplane mode ON. No issues what so ever.

give it a try DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 APK Download - Free Video Players & Editors APP for Android | APKPure.com

Thanks. Developer mode with USB Debugging on made no difference at all for me. I'm unsure why that's being recommended by various folks.

LP

Ugh! You're killing me. I could get that one dirt cheap too! The reason I passed on it was because of the smaller, dimmer screen. I'm still struggling to understand how a phone with much more horsepower RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX AFTER REMOVING BLOATWARE could perform worse than the P9 lite. I REALLY like the screen on the Mate 9. Maybe I'll order a P9 Lite to try.

When was the last time you measured your lag? Was it with 4.1.5 and .1000? If not, could I trouble you to do another measurement?

Thanks for the feedback!
LP

It was with 4.1.15 and .0900, I still have to fly after updating to 1000, I'll test it out asap and tell you if something changed

Cool - I assume the 4.1.15 was a typo and you meant 4.1.5. Thanks for retesting when you have time. Much appreciated. I really like the Mate 9 and I'm going to experiment more to see if I can get the latency down. According to the benchmarks, it's more than 2x faster than the P9 lite. No idea why the latency would be worse.

Thanks,
LP

I don't know if everyone is doing it the same, but I set up my iPad as a target, with the Mavic pointed at it and focused.
It's a highly controversial method since there are lots of possible variations introduced by the different elements not being in sync, which can be seen by so much variation between successive takes.
Take at least 10-20 shots and average. You'll see you might see 150ms in some and 350 in others, which is already nearly too much spread to be considered very significant.
A rough average for me gives about 250 for iPad mini 4, 300 for Mate 8.

I have 25 hours of flight with my Mate 8 and it has never bothered me. It's really only an issue for those who focus on it for whatever reason.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000