DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flight from over 500m into area that is limited to 500m

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Has anyone tried to fly from an area where it is OK to fly above 500m into an area where it is restricted to 500m? I am wondering what the result would be. Of course nobody would do that on purpose....but I am curious what the result would be.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Not yet. But at some point I will try to fly above the Sears Tower which is about 1500' AGL (2048' MSL) according to Google Earth Pro.

Reactions: Octavio
If there is a height restriction in the area you are flying into there will be warning on the screen as you approach that area and the drone will not proceed any further until you drop your height or if you are in RTH the drone will stop, drop height to the required height limit and then proceed again. I have a height restriction area I fly through regularly which is set at 60 meters, once I am pass that I go up to 80 meters but when the drone is coming back either during RTH or manual return, I either have to drop the height or the drone will automatically reduce height if in RTH.

If there is a height restriction in the area you are flying into there will be warning on the screen as you approach that area and the drone will not proceed any further until you drop your height or if you are in RTH the drone will stop, drop height to the required height limit and then proceed again. I have a height restriction area I fly through regularly which is set at 60 meters, once I am pass that I go up to 80 meters but when the drone is coming back either during RTH or manual return, I either have to drop the height or the drone will automatically reduce height if in RTH.
@Suren and @akdrone you might like to read the thread RTH altitude above max - nearly lost my quad.

It appears that there is no automatic reduction in RTH height and that, without the pilot reducing the height, the drone will remain stuck outside the 'wall'.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Has anyone tried to fly from an area where it is OK to fly above 500m into an area where it is restricted to 500m? I am wondering what the result would be. Of course nobody would do that on purpose....but I am curious what the result would be.
That's a broad question for sure and I'm not sure why you chose 500 meters. I also don't know exactly how the north pole is controlled either as it is obviously owned/operated by an alliance and there is no AGL as it is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. There's also the DJI algorithm for height restriction which is it's own entity. If you have some land to establish AGL then I would guess AGL over contour of the land with the 400ft bubble being applied given no other controlled airspace intercedes. Realistically, I'm also not sure how strict the FAA would enforce the 400ft bubble given the difficulty of estimating distance and altitude per the drone operator's perspective. A plethora of scenarios are running through my head.

That's a broad question for sure and I'm not sure why you chose 500 meters. I also don't know exactly how the north pole is controlled either as it is obviously owned/operated by an alliance and there is no AGL as it is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. There's also the DJI algorithm for height restriction which is it's own entity. If you have some land to establish AGL then I would guess AGL over contour of the land with the 400ft bubble being applied given no other controlled airspace intercedes. Realistically, I'm also not sure how strict the FAA would enforce the 400ft bubble given the difficulty of estimating distance and altitude per the drone operator's perspective. A plethora of scenarios are running through my head.
FYI, North Pole, Alaska is a town. NOT THE North Pole. ;) :p

My Mavic 3 automatically reduces the height when in RTH flying into a height restricted area. I fly that route regularly and it does it every time.
Well that's a new behaviour to me.....but I don't have and won't have a Mavic 3. I have seen several threads where 'lesser' drones get stuck at the wall.

Well that's a new behaviour to me.....but I don't have and won't have a Mavic 3. I have seen several threads where 'lesser' drones get stuck at the wall.
Hey Mate, find the Flight log from a quick test flight I did to show that the Mavic 3 does automatically reduce the height itself when it enters a Height Restricted zone and if the drone is in RTH.

Cheers Suren that looks interesting but I am on the wrong computer to run CsvView on the file, I'll have a look later..tom.... today, just gone midnight here lol.

Reactions: Suren
Not yet. But at some point I will try to fly above the Sears Tower which is about 1500' AGL (2048' MSL) according to Google Earth Pro.
Since the Sears Tower is undoubtably within 50km of an airport, you will be limited by DJI to only 500m above your home point, and unable to test any flight above 500m. The 1000m limit is only available when you are more than 50km away from all airports!

In the past (earlier models, Mavic and M2P), if you entered a restricted zone and you had no authorization from DJI for that zone, DJI would force land you. It's been a couple of years so I cannot speak to the current status of DJI's actions. As I follow FAA rules and get authorization through LAANC before flights, I have removed DJI's geo fencing from my M2P. I also have the M3, however, I have not had a need to, nor will I, put it into one of these flight restrictions. I have no desire to risk my M3 because of DJI's desire to control my UAV within the US airspace.

In the past (earlier models, Mavic and M2P), if you entered a restricted zone and you had no authorization from DJI for that zone, DJI would force land you. It's been a couple of years so I cannot speak to the current status of DJI's actions. As I follow FAA rules and get authorization through LAANC before flights, I have removed DJI's geo fencing from my M2P. I also have the M3, however, I have not had a need to, nor will I, put it into one of these flight restrictions. I have no desire to risk my M3 because of DJI's desire to control my UAV within the US airspace.
I did not know it was possible to simply remove dji’s control over airspace. I would also like to do this as I use faa procedures to ensure legal flight. DJI warnings are no more than abstract encumbrance.

I did not know it was possible to simply remove dji’s control over airspace. I would also like to do this as I use faa procedures to ensure legal flight. DJI warnings are no more than abstract encumbrance.
Drone-Hacks, the best way to hack your DJI Drone has several types of hacks for different drones. You will have to check the site for your drone. They do not have one for the M3 as of yet. I put the geo zone removal hack on mine as I follow FAA rules and use LAANC. So what ever hack you use, you are still responsible for safe and legal operations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev