DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to get papers to remove limits?

alexjo55

Reactions
I was trying to get approval to fly higher than 500m with my mini 3.
For that i have to make a request to DJI.

In the last step, they ask for a document from the closest airport or something, the ones that controll the airpace where i want to go higher than 500m.

But how to i get those papers?
Do i just contact the airport and say i need approval for flying over 500m and that i want paper on it to send to DJI?

Anyone that have photo of how those papaers looks like?

@alexjo55 i could be wrong of course, but i believe the Mini 3 as with a lot of DJI drones has a hard wired 500m limit from the height of the take off point whatever that height happens to be

I was trying to get approval to fly higher than 500m with my mini 3
DJI drones cannot fly higher than 500m. There might be a drone that's capable of doing so, but you'll probably find similar limitations with most (all?) consumer drones.

Approval might be possible, but removing the limit from the firmware is not possible.

May I ask, as a Swede... for what purposes do the Swedish authority (Transportstyrelsen) approve drone flights higher than 120m... & even above 500m?

And you know that DJI isn't the official authority regarding the Swedish airspace?

May I ask, as a Swede... for what purposes do the Swedish authority (Transportstyrelsen) approve drone flights higher than 120m... & even above 500m?

And you know that DJI isn't the official authority regarding the Swedish airspace?
The request is sent to DJI so they can unlock the limits, but the papers/approval has to come from swedish autorities

The request is sent to DJI so they can unlock the limits, but the papers/approval has to come from swedish autorities
And... for what purposes do the Swedish authority (Transportstyrelsen) approve drone flights higher than 120m... & even above 500m?

Check Drone-Hacks.com. They have a firmware hack that removes DJO's geo fence and height limits. You will have to look at their chart to see if they have it for your particular model. I have it and no longer have the DJI prevention of flying when I already have clearance with the FAA.

Reactions: Niftygee and Aairon
Check Drone-Hacks.com. They have a firmware hack that removes DJO's geo fence and height limits...
Nothing from them will unlock anything regarding heights or geofences for the OP's Mini 3... furthermore he will never ever get an approval from the official authorities in Sweden to fly higher than 120m.

The only thing he can do is to fly up to 500m above HP (illegally, if above ground beneath & in that case hope that he doesn't cause anything or get caught...)

Just curious, why do you want to fly up to 500m?

All drones in the US can legally fly only 400 ft. Check your part 107 rules. But I ca fly my drone illegally higher by settling the altitude limit to unlimited. I accidentally set mine to unlimited from the 393ft. I usually keep it at and went a little past 1600 ft. Before realizing it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Every country has different laws for drones.

Sure it's true. But, now you're talking about hacking -- altering what the drone manufacturer created.

Things like enforcement of height limits and the limit itself are configurable parameters. Back in the day of the Mavic Pro, these settings were available in DJI Assistant, and could be modified there. It's a real stretch to call this "hacking".

DJI has since (years ago) locked this down, but it still works the same. DJI can easily provide a patch that can change these settings given they have the encryption keys necessary to access those settings.

And, going by this thread, it sounds like the have a process for supporting this.

All drones in the US can legally fly only 400 ft. Check your part 107 rules. But I ca fly my drone illegally higher by settling the altitude limit to unlimited. I accidentally set mine to unlimited from the 393ft. I usually keep it at and went a little past 1600 ft. Before realizing it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Every country has different laws for drones.
Unlimited does not exist as a setting in DJI Fly. Height (above takeoff) is limited to a max 1640ft (500m). There is no "unlimited" option.

Back in the day of the Mavic Pro, these settings were available in DJI Assistant, and could be modified there
There was never a setting in DJI Assistant to set the max altitude beyond 500 meters. Feel free to reference your source though.

DJI can easily provide a patch that can change these settings given they have the encryption keys necessary to access those settings
Sure, DJI could do whatever they want. That feature does not exist today, so only a hack could make it so.

There was never a setting in DJI Assistant to set the max altitude beyond 500 meters. Feel free to reference your source though.
Oh boy...

Yes there was, and still is. What do you think happens to the value when you set it DJI Fly (or GO4)?

There are also hundreds of other parameters made available through a GUI in Assistant(2). Max tilt angles for every mode, a mode parameter that can be set to Cine, Normal, and Sport (accessible in Fly and GO4) as well as ATTI and Manual (I think it was labeled ACRO in Assistant, it's been years), as well as some mysterious "farm" mode (again, been years, so I may be getting the exact label wrong).

Yes folks, you could fly a Mavic Pro in manual, and it behaved like an Avata from a control standpoint. I'd bet real money that hasn't changed with every new drone from DJI, we just can't get to those parameters any more in Assistant 2. A Mini3P could be flown Manual if we could still access all the settings in the drone.

To access all this you had to switch Assistant to debug mode.

How do I know all this? Because I used it and modified these parameters, including max height. Above 500m. And increasing top speed by modifying the max speed parameters for each mode, and tilt/pitch limits.

However, feel free to disbelieve me, it really doesn't matter. This is not important enough to spend any effort proving. Maybe someone else here with the same experience can back me up... would that be sufficient?

And to the FAA, to exceed 400ft AGL.

I would expect that's some of the paperwork – in fact probably the main (and only) document DJI really needs, and due to language barrier issues, they've charactized this as permission from an airport.

Last edited:
To access all this you had to switch Assistant to debug mode
Indeed. But, now we're back to talking about hacks and exploits again.

DJI and other consumer drone makers don't allow settings like this to be changed for good reasons. And while it's true all of them could update their software to make those configurable settings, it'll likely never happen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54