DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in big cities (heliports galore)

Reactions
Hey all,

Just got a spark yesterday and registered with the FAA.

I'm in Philly and airmap shows I'm in the 5mi radius of an airport and 26 heliports. Calling all of them for a 15 minute flight is just not worth the hassle.
B4UFLY also tells me I'm within a 5mi radius bit won't show me which airports.

Is there an easier way to notify everyone and fly legally here? I flew earlier today because I thought by submitting the flight on airmap automatically notified the airports but itScreenshot_20180526-193648.jpg Screenshot_20180526-194924.jpg seems I was wrong on this and thus in violation.

Pretty intimidating these rules.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180526-194931.jpg
    Screenshot_20180526-194931.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 28
You must inform them that you plan to fly. The B4UFLY Status Details show the restrictions but the map shows which airports or heliports are within the 5-mike range. Just look at the map. Other apps may be better suited but B4UFLY isn’t all that bad.

It is a pain to have to call al these places yet it still must be done; that is if you want to fly legally. Everyone may have an opinion on this topic but the rules must be followed otherwise what’s the point in trying to get more lax rules for ya when we can’t even follow the one’s we have now.
Make the call at least once and ask for an extended-time flight for a month or so. Won’t have to keep calling back. If no one answers, oh well, you tried right.

Reactions: Marples
This is what philadelphia looks like on that map..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180527-101336.jpg
    Screenshot_20180527-101336.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 52
That’s a lot, not even going to lie. How many with Traffic Control Towers? Those really are the only one’s you need to worry about as a Hobbyist flying under the 336 rule.
But as always, you fly at your own risk each time. Tough call it is.

Same craziness here in Orlando.
1913acf477359939f744efbcf9f3b384.png

How hard it is to get an extended permission ?

But do I really have to call all 11 heliports? I understand call the 3 airports but fly for fun is over by the time you finish. I tried to do it and by the 5th number I called I gave up.

37ee218b3ca65a3ebf7646e784cd09da.png

but at the end of the day, nobody cares.

True. Only way that isn’t would be if a officer actually called in to verify that you informed them of your flight; per FAA regs.
Chances of that happening is pretty slim as most officers do not even know what the rules are.
My statement above possibly may not hold true much longer here at Ft. Myers, FL was one of the few cities chosen to participate in the governments “Drone Pilot Program.” It could be soon that the areas PD’s will get a crash course in drone safety, rules and regs.

All I’m saying is that just attempt to call. We are supposed to anyways. Again, I call once and if no pickup or answer I leave a message and move on.
To each their own.

Reactions: AdrenalineFlyer
If they don’t answer, I don’t call back. I move on.
Exactly.....
Once again, who cares?? There is no clearly defined process, no published contact list, no verification procedure that such a call even happened and NO statutory penalty if you don’t make a call.
Just fly and don’t interfere with any other air traffic. Problem solved!

True. Only way that isn’t would be if a officer actually called in to verify that you informed them of your flight; per FAA regs.
Chances of that happening is pretty slim as most officers do not even know what the rules are.
My statement above possibly may not hold true much longer here at Ft. Myers, FL was one of the few cities chosen to participate in the governments “Drone Pilot Program.” It could be soon that the areas PD’s will get a crash course in drone safety, rules and regs.

All I’m saying is that just attempt to call. We are supposed to anyways. Again, I call once and if no pickup or answer I leave a message and move on.
To each their own.
When you say “officers” are you referring to local cops?? I wouldn’t interact with a traffic cop in the context of FAA “rules” anymore than I would if Barney Fife questioned me about my IRS tax return.

Hey all,

I'm in Philly and airmap shows I'm in the 5mi radius of an airport and 26 heliports. Calling all of them for a 15 minute flight is just not worth the hassle.

Is there an easier way to notify everyone and fly legally here? I flew earlier today because I thought by submitting the flight on airmap automatically notified the airports but itView attachment 38846 View attachment 38847 seems I was wrong on this and thus in violation.

If 26 helo, then it is impossible today... maybe will be an app for that.... If you can keep it near treetops and well lower than the 400 ft. UAV limit, and be willing to crash it when anything gets in your way.. then I think you might be okay. The first time I took my Mavic to 400, I had not one, but two manned aircraft fly low in vicinity. Expect it and have plan just in case.

Hey all,

Is there an easier way to notify everyone and fly legally here? I flew earlier today because I thought by submitting the flight on airmap automatically notified the airports but itView attachment 38846 View attachment 38847 seems I was wrong on this and thus in violation.

Hey all,

If you’re launching the drone on vine street, you’re 7 miles from the airport. Do a search for “As the crow flies”. You put in where you are and the name of the airport,, then click calculate. Good tool to have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada