DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in National Parks and restricted areas

Merrill277

Reactions
Parks are full of cars, motorcycles, ATVs, people walking around, talking, shooting selfies. All these things we don't notice because they have been around forever and we put up with them. Now a drone, no matter how quiet, seems to be a nuisance. And people complain even if they see one off in the distance. I get not having lots of drones in popular and crowed places like Old Faithful in YNP. But otherwise I think many of the rules are overkill.

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
Regarding national parks, I don't think the restrictions are there because of nuisances, but rather the same reason there are restrictions from flying too close to national landmarks or historical buildings, usually to protect from damage. A drone is more likely to fall on those than an ATV.

Also the no fly zone isn't just for drones. (Edit : FAA has nothing in place to prevent using the airspace, it's just national park service prohibiting use of the land for take off, landing, and operating a drone).

Last edited:
It's a National Park Service rule. The FAA isn't involved.

Policy Memorandum 14-05, released by the National Park Service (NPS) director in June 2014.

Landing/taking off and operating from park grounds is regulated by NPS, airspace is still regulated by FAA which they dictate the space over national parks as a no fly zone. (Ie even if you could take off from off park grounds, you couldn't go far without losing line of sight even if it wasn't restricted airspace)

Edit: though maps classify it as "restricted operations" not restricted airspace. Would still be violating FAA rules if flying from outside since there's no way to keep VLOS shooting notable features in Yellowstone for example, let alone having enough juice to get there and back.

Last edited:
Landing/taking off and operating from park grounds is regulated by NPS, airspace is still regulated by FAA which they dictate the space over national parks as a no fly zone. (Ie even if you could take off from off park grounds, you couldn't go far without losing line of sight even if it wasn't restricted airspace)

Edit: though maps classify it as "restricted operations" not restricted airspace. Would still be violating FAA rules if flying from outside since there's no way to keep VLOS shooting notable features in Yellowstone for example, let alone having enough juice to get there and back.

"which they dictate the space over national parks as a no fly zone. "

Has the FAA actually issued regulations of their own regarding SUAS operation over National Parks?

EDIT, 6/8/22 - Answer is no.

Last edited:

Landing/Launching, in and of itself is a Land Use ordinance and not an FAA regulation. Once the aircraft is in flight, it's an Airspace/FAA situation. It's important to keep those separated for clarity.

You absolutely COULD launch from outside the park and fly into/over the park for a short distance and be likely able to maintain VLOS. While the distance would be limited we could fly "some" into the area but not far. We can't paint with such a wide brush in these situations. I see what you're saying, and with some additional details you are correct but just blatantly saying you "can't do it" in all regards isn't accurate at all.

It is what it is!
We just have to live with it!
Launching/landing nearby is an option.
I've seen many photos and videos taken with this option.
Albeit not much help in expansive parks.
Fortunately, there are still lots of wonderful scenic areas not within NPS boundaries!

Parks are full of cars, motorcycles, ATVs, people walking around, talking, shooting selfies. All these things we don't notice because they have been around forever and we put up with them. Now a drone, no matter how quiet, seems to be a nuisance. And people complain even if they see one off in the distance. I get not having lots of drones in popular and crowed places like Old Faithful in YNP. But otherwise I think many of the rules are overkill.

It's a blanket ruling in some places.
Trying to work through and manage drone flights in some areas would be a pretty big task to go through.

We have the same problem here in Australia, though we have 3 states where drone restrictions are virtually nil in National Parks and we can fly unfettered to CASA drone rules.
The other states / territories here are pretty much a lazy blanket ban.

A recent thread by a member here in Oz . . . Flying in Australian National Parks

Of course there are places drones should be barred, like you say busy places, would include all those lovely scenic places to film, but the enjoyment of the park is there for all users, peace and quiet, lack of something buzzing around above does detract from that.

For remote areas, it is certainly a ridiculous policy to simply ban drone use, but who's going to take the time to wear the headache of delineating areas, and manage those things ?
Like everything, some pilots will push boundaries and bend rules.

Food for thought. In addition to the many visitors, the occupants of the NP's are only one concern. You also have a large variety of wild life. Humans may not hear or see your drone, however, many animals have more acute hearing or highly improved eye sight,. One of the concerns of the park service is disturbance of wildlife. Even if your within VLOS of your drone, you cannot see that wild life on the ground or the or in the trees, and you cannot see if or when you are causing them distress. You also may not see a predator bird that sees your drone. A Bald Eagle can see a small rodent from 2-3 miles away. So it can also see your drone from a considerable distance, much farther than your VLOS. If you fly and go into their territory, and especially if they have eggs or Eaglets, the parent Eagle WILL attack your drone and destroy it. If that happens to be over park visitors, you now have a possible danger to them as well should the drone fall in a crowd.
Before flying over any Major park or preserve area, it is suggested that you check to see if there are Bald Eagles or other protected birds/wildlife in the area. Or you could be in trouble for other than NPS or FAA rules.

In closing, there are other factors to consider when making rules in the NPS, not just that it is open air space.
PS: I personally know of an Eagle Rehabilitator that thought they were safe launching a drone over a mile from a nest. No luck, the parent attacked and crushed their drone.

Reactions: Debaser_AZ
In an effort to comply with unfamiliar rules and safety issues, I recenntly called Acadia National Park, in Bar Harbor, Me to ask about regulations to fly my Air2S in or near the park. I was informed by a friendly Park Ranger that drones are not permitted to fly within the park area. However, he also suggested that I may get some beautiful pictures of the interior of the park as a result of flying adjacent to it. How right he was. While I would have loved to fly about 400 feet over the ever popular Cadillac Mountain, I still managed to get some great shots. Additionally, some pictures even revealed Cruise Ships hiding behind certain Islands in Bar Harbor. I guess the point is that we try to make the most of our limitations.

Reactions: sarimento1
Yeah, I agree. Flying my Mini 2 at Petrified Forest NP higher than 50ft probably wouldn't bother anyone.

May I suggest your local US National Forest. They allow drones as long as you follow FAA rules & don't harass the local wildlife. You can't launch from a Designated Wilderness but you can launch from outside the borders. Roads aren't allowed in the Wilderness, so I always launch my Mini 2 from a roadside pullout or parking lot so I know I'm legal.

You can get a lot of interesting shots from right outside the Park boundaries. Just know those boundaries and be ready to explain to busy-bodies that you are outside the Park.

It's best practice when flying in National Parks to stick to the most heavily populated areas,, stay below 25 feet and buzz around the most irritable looking people in the crowd. Buzz around them like a horse fly.

Then, when your battery's low, do a few fake dive-bombs at the most freaked-out looking people before landing, throw everything in your car, then drive it outta there like you stole it.

Remember to remove your license plates before you go, and don't register your drone. YMMV. If you have an FPV, all the more fun!

Talk about some choice YT video... 😁

John Muir's vision of National Parks was to have people park at the border and hike in.

John Muir's vision of National Parks was to have people park at the border and hike in.
We're too lazy for that apparently lol. Though we do have a couple state parks like that here in Michigan. There's also a lighthouse up in luddington that is a 3 mile walk from the parking area for the general public.

Seems people don't even want to do a mile, but there is also ADA accomodations to consider (Though many county and state parks are still largely inaccessible past the restrooms or info centers).

There actually is a solution that would work if the Park Service would listen. You could simply require permits that would be available on a limited basis and require pilots to be Part 107 certified. You could also set rules and restrictions of where you can land and take off from, minimum distance from people, etc. You can't tell me that this would bother or distract visitors if done properly.

Reactions: Moozer
There actually is a solution that would work if the Park Service would listen. You could simply require permits that would be available on a limited basis and require pilots to be Part 107 certified. You could also set rules and restrictions of where you can land and take off from, minimum distance from people, etc. You can't tell me that this would bother or distract visitors if done properly.
I doubt that it's a problem with them listening, but more with having resources available. NPS has serious budget issues. They've had to curtail operations and they're short on personnel in many locations.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925