DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IlluminationsfromtheAttic

Reactions
For more than a hundred years the Grays River Covered Bridge has kept travelers safe and dry in this particularly soggy corner of the Pacific Northwest. Built in 1905, this is the only covered bridge still in use by vehicles in Washington State. The quiet pastoral valley of the Grays River is a bucolic reminder of a vanishing chapter in history.

Usually when I've visited this bridge in the past it's been either too rainy (hence why the bridge is covered) or there have been too many people swimming under and around the bridge to fly. Last week I finally lucked out and had the place to myself. Flying under the bridge was easy enough, but I chickened out about 1/3 of the way when trying to fly through it. I often get the impression when flying in confined spaces that the drone is drifting, or I'm not centered in the space and will eventually run into a wall. Some day I'd like to try flying FPV drones so that I could get more dynamic shots in confined spaces.

I've also posted a small photo gallery on my blog: Grays River Covered Bridge

Nice Vid..

... I often get the impression when flying in confined spaces that the drone is drifting,...
The usual scenario while flying inside or under something is that GPS reception is lost, causing a switch into Atti mode, which will allow it to drift.

I tried to fly through one of the longest covered bridges in the country (now a pedestrian bridge), and I got about as far as it looks like you did and it started drifting like crazy and almost crashed. Thinking about it, I probably would've just turned the propellers off and held it the whole way through while recording.

Reactions: sportsphotos
I tried to fly through one of the longest covered bridges in the country (now a pedestrian bridge), and I got about as far as it looks like you did and it started drifting like crazy and almost crashed. Thinking about it, I probably would've just turned the propellers off and held it the whole way through while recording.

I've filmed with the Mavic like that before - it works pretty well, but the result isn't nearly as smooth as flying. I guess maybe tripod mode could have been an option, but that would have been a pretty slow flight too. I guess I could have sat the drone on the hood of my car and driven through lol.

Awesome location. I'm also in WA so this would be a pretty cool mini road trip to see this. I wasn't even aware we had any old covered bridges here.

Nice Video. I have ran into the same problem regardless if the bridge is wood or steel, bird starts drifting.
So, I custom made a monopod, with quick disconnect, which hand held can extend over 10 feet. Using raptor skids,
has the same effect as flying, and much safer. The raptor skids server 3 different ways. I can install pontoons on them, and hand carry at waist level, and use the monopod for extended height indoors.

Nice Video. I have ran into the same problem regardless if the bridge is wood or steel, bird starts drifting.
So, I custom made a monopod, with quick disconnect, which hand held can extend over 10 feet. Using raptor skids,
has the same effect as flying, and much safer. The raptor skids server 3 different ways. I can install pontoons on them, and hand carry at waist level, and use the monopod for extended height indoors.

Interesting solution!

Ah, a good suggestion!

Just saw your flight. Nice.
I flown thru our longest coverd bridge in Michigan. 282’ long.
Flew my M2PRO in ATTI MODE.
Found a trick online to be able to switch on ATTI on it.
Hope you enjoy ?
Bridge Fly Through.

I have a covered bridge near my house..... I think you have sparked some inspiration in me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme