DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Folding Mavic with Low Noise Props - Observation

LeafPeeper

Reactions
Installed my new low noise props last night. Haven't had time to fly them yet, but I did notice something that I haven't seen mentioned yet. When you fold the rear legs with the props resting on the undreside of the frame, the increased width and pitch of the new props prevents the rear legs from retracting completely flush against the body. It pushes the legs up a VERY small amount...maybe a mm or two. I don't see this as a major issue but it seems to me that:

1. ...applying pressure while handling or transporting the mavic could damage the edges of the new thin blades, and
2. ...they will cause the mavic to sit an an ever so slightly different angle when doing an IMU calibration. Might be worth always removing the blades during a cal as the instructions say.

Nothing major in my mind, but just a heads up...

LP

Last edited:
I installed my new props last night. Three observations are: 1) new blades are slightly longer than originals, 2) the new blades are quieter and 3) motors turn less RPM. Also, when I stowed my Mavic in its case, it did fit a bit more snug.
I am pleased with the new props.

Reactions: Boob8282
I noticed the same issue. I now remove the bottom two blades that fold to the bottom when I put the Mavic in the Mavic bag. It appears to me that the blades will get damaged over time if left attached.

The motor spindles now looked a little vunerable, so I chopped the blades off a pair of old props, I fit them on before bagging the Mavic.

Got to fly for a little while this evening. I'm not sure how much quieter they really are, but they definitely are more pleasant to the ears. They are also noticeably quieter at 400 feet. I can barely heard it now - where I could clearly hear the old props. They also seem to be much quieter when ascending.

LP

Reactions: Wt3786
Got to fly for a little while this evening.

So do you have to do anything in settings with the new props ?
Or just have the latest firmware / updates and it all adjusts to suit ?

I think it's the latter, but just checking.
I'll wait until the rush is over and order a couple of sets, think it'll be an overall enhancement, and by then I should be looking at replacing my original props as a precaution / maintenance thing.

Reactions: Kaspers1
So do you have to do anything in settings with the new props ?
Or just have the latest firmware / updates and it all adjusts to suit ?

I think it's the latter, but just checking.
I'll wait until the rush is over and order a couple of sets, think it'll be an overall enhancement, and by then I should be looking at replacing my original props as a precaution / maintenance thing.

Nothing special....DJI just 'recommends' running the latest firmware to avoid 'potential vibration issues' with the new props.

LP

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
When you fold the rear legs with the props resting on the undreside of the frame, the increased width and pitch of the new props prevents the rear legs from retracting completely flush against the body. It pushes the legs up a VERY small amount...maybe a mm or two.
Maybe a modified cheap leg extender can help solve those issues

I put my new low noise props on yesterday and I didn't really notice and issues of more interference in putting the Mavic back into the Fly More DJI bag. I haven't flown it yet, but have watched several of the comparison YouTube videos that prove that they are about 5 DB quieter than the original ones. I feel for the costs of $20, they are well worth the price. They look nicer too with the golf matching color to the arms and body.

Reactions: Boob8282
I put my new low noise props on yesterday and I didn't really notice and issues of more interference in putting the Mavic back into the Fly More DJI bag. I haven't flown it yet, but have watched several of the comparison YouTube videos that prove that they are about 5 DB quieter than the original ones. I feel for the costs of $20, they are well worth the price. They look nicer too with the golf matching color to the arms and body.

As I think I mentioned, the props only prevent the legs from folding by about a mm or two - definitely not enough to cause problems with most bags. It's just that the props are then under constant pressure from the legs - so one would hope they don't get damaged. The new props are definitely thinner and less rigid than the old props, so I suspect they'll be easier to damage...

That said, I ran both sets of props today and the new ones make the MP noticeably less annoying, especially when flying low around the yard.

LP

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Tested the props today...pretty much the same observations ...I was flying out by Barstow, Ca...zero wind...had the high wind warning come on multiple times above 150 feet...could the props initiate this?

I always get high wind warnings, with both old and new blades, even on days that are calm. I live near water and I just figured it was because it's always windy at 400ft....now you have me wondering.

LP

So how much pressure does it put on the tips of the props? I can see a problem with them getting bent during storage in the bag,or are they flexable?

Reactions: PsiFox
So how much pressure does it put on the tips of the props? I can see a problem with them getting bent during storage in the bag,or are they flexable?

It's actually not the tips that get the pressure. When you fold the bottom legs, it's the trailing edge. It's not a ton of pressure, but I wouldn't want to have the MP constantly squeezed (ie: pressure on the hind legs), otherwise I can see either the props deforming, or the MP undercarriage scratched up.

As to their being flexible, yes. They feel incredibly thin and flexible, and frankly feel like cheap crap compared to the old props. If they weren't noticeably less annoying and quieter, I would have thrown them out when I got them.

LP

It's actually not the tips that get the pressure. When you fold the bottom legs, it's the trailing edge. It's not a ton of pressure, but I wouldn't want to have the MP constantly squeezed (ie: pressure on the hind legs), otherwise I can see either the props deforming, or the MP undercarriage scratched up.

As to their being flexible, yes. They feel incredibly thin and flexible, and frankly feel like cheap crap compared to the old props. If they weren't noticeably less annoying and quieter, I would have thrown them out when I got them.

LP
"They feel incredibly thin and flexible, and frankly feel like cheap crap compared to the old props.":eek: I'm thinking the old "standard" props are looking better all the time.;) Thin and flexable are two things that I'm not looking for in a multirotor prop.I can live with the noise,after flying Glo/Gas planes for years,infact I think most drones aren't loud at all?

Last edited:
"They feel incredibly thin and flexible, and frankly feel like cheap crap compared to the old props.":eek: I'm thinking the old "standard" props are looking better all the time.;) Thin and flexable are two things that I'm not looking for in a multirotor prop.I can live with the noise,after flying Glo/Gas planes for years,infact I think most drones aren't loud at all?

I hear you and I feel the same way, but once I started flying them, they were SO much more pleasing to my ears that I couldn't go back. I hate them...but I love them.

I kinda wish that DJI had mounted or formed them just slightly higher than the center joint -that way the MP arms would sit flush with the body, and I'm guessing there'd be no change in performance.

LP

808fda91c952f8f656cb076e26232343.jpg

There’s no pressure from the trailing edge of the props if you just fold them in slightly more, like this.

I tried that...makes it worse on mine Have you looked at the hind legs with respect to the body seam? Are they perfectly parallel? Can you post a side shot? Maybe my blades are different for some reason.

LP

Mine have no pressure either. There has always been considerable slop when folded in the hind legs, at least on mine, from day one. I do agree about the flimsy construction..at least it’s the trailing edge that’s thinnest and the most vulnerable. The ones I got also had loose hinges on 2 of the 4...not exactly the best QC in production. Of course we all know how pressed poor poor DJI is to keep up with demand, lol [emoji85]

Okay, correction...there is minimal pressure on one of my rear legs with the new props. Not sure if it’s enough to be concerned about. Definately not enough to hurt the prop or cause scratches. I’d wonder mostly about the pressure on the motors bearings/windings ??

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J