DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow me feature - on elevation changes.. Seems to dive down?? lol (vid inside)

Fireblade

Reactions
Hey guys, so I was trying to do some follow me footage, but even after increasing the height high enough, the mavic keeps diving to the ground eventually lol.

You can tell from the vid that it was fairly high enough right? What gives? Could it be because the cell signal here is spotty? Or is the elevation increase just hard to tell?

Reactions: Walt Rush
Hey guys, so I was trying to do some follow me footage, but even after increasing the height high enough, the mavic keeps diving to the ground eventually lol.

You can tell from the vid that it was fairly high enough right? What gives? Could it be because the cell signal here is spotty? Or is the elevation increase just hard to tell?

The elevation increased dramatically. I think the drone was flying too fast to compensate automatically. Cell signal is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the issue; very cool concept.

How would terrain follow work in this situation?

Love your editing!

Reactions: Fireblade
I haven't used terrain follow much. I thought it was only for slow changes in altitude, like if you're walking. But I'm not sure.

I do know that if you want to film yourself riding your motorcycle through changing terrain, the Autopilot app will do the job. As long as you have are flying with a newer iPhone with your controller. I think it has to be a 6 or later. Not sure if Android will work. But the newer iPhones can sense altitude changes with their onboard barometer. I haven't done it, only watched the tutorial. But it looked pretty slick as the drone climbed as it filmed a car driving though a mountain highway.

The Mavic does not automatically change altitude when flying using Active Track or Follow Me (only terrain mode and normal flight). In Follow Me and Active track only the forward sensors keep it from nosing in to the ground. However, it stops, it does not climb.

[Man, I need to get that demo video done going over this... it's just sitting on my editing bay about 90% done]

The elevation increased dramatically. I think the drone was flying too fast to compensate automatically. Cell signal is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the issue; very cool concept.
I was using the follow me option where the mavic follows the remote.. I'm assuming you need a data plan for the cell right? (I recall last time I couldn't use the follow me option on my old phantom3 even though I had gps on a tablet but no data plan).

If you look at the beginning of the video, doesn't it look much higher than the rest of the hills? It could be just my perception but I could've sworn the drone was way up there.. Maybe next time I'll try a straight flight first to confirm.

I haven't used terrain follow much. I thought it was only for slow changes in altitude, like if you're walking. But I'm not sure.

I do know that if you want to film yourself riding your motorcycle through changing terrain, the Autopilot app will do the job. As long as you have are flying with a newer iPhone with your controller. I think it has to be a 6 or later. Not sure if Android will work. But the newer iPhones can sense altitude changes with their onboard barometer. I haven't done it, only watched the tutorial. But it looked pretty slick as the drone climbed as it filmed a car driving though a mountain highway.
Is it a follow me feature where it follows the remote, or it uses the active tracking? I'm not a fan of active tracking because it looses the subject too easily.. :( With the follow me option, I can go as far as I want and I know sooner or later the drone will catch up lol. And it actually tilts the camera too to your direction so that's nice.

The Mavic does not automatically change altitude when flying using Active Track or Follow Me (only terrain mode and normal flight). In Follow Me and Active track only the forward sensors keep it from nosing in to the ground. However, it stops, it does not climb.

[Man, I need to get that demo video done going over this... it's just sitting on my editing bay about 90% done]

I know that now. lol In certain parts of the video, I'm willing to bet some of the grass brushed up against the bottom of the mavic.

Is it a follow me feature where it follows the remote, or it uses the active tracking? I'm not a fan of active tracking because it looses the subject too easily.. :( With the follow me option, I can go as far as I want and I know sooner or later the drone will catch up lol. And it actually tilts the camera too to your direction so that's nice.

You can set it up to follow the vehicle or the controller. Just select which one in the settings.

Reactions: Fireblade
You can set it up to follow the vehicle or the controller. Just select which one in the settings.
Oh men, exactly what I need. Perfect timing too, I just got a hand me down phone 6plus so hopefully will get to try it out soon! Thanks !

Follow me uses the gps in the device connected to the rc. Active track uses a computer video algorithm to recognize and follow a image on the screen.

What Bunny said.... Follow Me mode tracks the GPS signal from the display device (not a visual object). Active Track follows a visual object and not GPS. They are two different modes.

Oh men, exactly what I need. Perfect timing too, I just got a hand me down phone 6plus so hopefully will get to try it out soon! Thanks !

Make sure about your new iPhone. Can't recall if the 6 or the 6s comes with barometer hardware.

I think you mistakingly gave the wrong info here. When using Active Track, with the Mavic below 13m, it will maintain height relative to the ground going uphill and downhill.

Actually this is a feature of Terrain Follow Mode, and will not follow the ground going downhill

Terrain Follow Mode
The Downward Vision System is utilized in Terrain Follow Mode ot maintain a height above ground between 1
and 13 meters. This mode is designed for use on grassland sloped at no more than 20°.
Enable the Terrain Follow Mode by tapping the Intelligent Flight Mode icon in the DJI GO 4 app. When this
mode is enabled, the aircraft’s current height will be recorded. The aircraft will maintain the recorded height
during flight and ascend when the slope rises. However, the aircraft will not descend in downward slopes

Follow me uses the gps in the device connected to the rc. Active track uses a computer video algorithm to recognize and follow a image on the screen.
Yup I'm aware of that. That's why I asked could it be an issue if I'm getting bad signal at the place? Since I'm using GPS on the ph but the ph in that area has bad reception :( -- You would think it should still work right? But I know sometimes phone navigation acts up if it doesn't get signal.. (or at least my past phones at least when I went to death valley a while back)..

I'm aware of active track as well, but it looses the subject too easily, and that's why i switched to the follow me.

Yup I'm aware of that. That's why I asked could it be an issue if I'm getting bad signal at the place? Since I'm using GPS on the ph but the ph in that area has bad reception :( -- You would think it should still work right? But I know sometimes phone navigation acts up if it doesn't get signal.. (or at least my past phones at least when I went to death valley a while back)..

I'm aware of active track as well, but it looses the subject too easily, and that's why i switched to the follow me.
The GPS signal should be independent of the phone reception; however there are phones out there that use heavily augmented GPS (augmented with cell towers) perhaps your phone is one of these. That would be a shame as you are making darn cool videos; I think for the benefit of all you should get a new device;).

Last edited:
The GPS signal should be independent of the phone reception; however there are phones out there that use heavily augmented GPS (augmented with cell towers) perhaps your phone is one of these. That would be a shame as you are making darn cool videos; I think for the benefit of all you should get a new device;).
It's a samsung s6 so I would think it's decent, but it is showing it's age though lol. Will be upgrading to an iphone 6 plus so hopefully maybe things will get a bit better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun