DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Follow Me mode debate - controller or device GPS??

Was the iPad tethered to a iPhone? The WiFi iPad can inherit GPS functionality when it’s tethered to an iPhone.
It's not possible to share GPS data by tethering.

This is from the Apple forum:
You do not need a SIM to access GPS although you do need to have an iPad that has a SIM slot. WiFi only iPads do not have GPS. Some mapping apps require a data connection to download the maps. You DO need a SIM to access GSM.
My iPad Minis are setup for access to Verizon Wireless. They do not have visible/removable SIM cards.

FWIW, my point was that the OP could have the cellular version even if the SIM card is not visible.

And follow me or change home point still does not work on my iPhone 7 plus at&t phone

The follow me mode is better than active track, I use an iPad Mini (wi-fi only) with a Garmin GLO connected via Bluetooth.
This gives the iPad excellent GPS data.

Be safe and happy landings.....

A Wi-Fi only iPad would still have some rough positioning based on nearby WiFi networks. If you're in places with many networks it could be relatively precise although I'd doubt that would be consistent.

Subscribe to follow this thread and auto notification of new replies
Use the "Watch thread" link at the top instead of cluttering by posting. Haven't needed to post to subscribe on any forum for >10 years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas