DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Full ATTI Mode?

Hi all,

The Mavic 2 Pro (and perhaps the MPZ) has an undocumented means of changing program switch (Program, Tripod, Sport) so that one position could instead select full ATTI mode. Undocumented in this context means DJI didn't documented it and it's not clear if they even meant for this to be available.

Does the Mavic 3 have that? Has anyone tried to do that same thing with this bird?

FULL ATTI mode defined: This is where you are flying by stick and have turned off GPS lock. The AC will drift on any air currents, not locking onto any fixed coordinates, even if receiving adequate satellites. This is useful for a lot of things, not the least of which is to practice flying in ATTI in case you lose GPS lock (see the following section, AUTO ATTI), but ATTI is also useful for some smoother video shooting techniques.

AUTO ATTI mode defined: As far as I know, most Mavic products, will kick into ATTI mode when GPS is lost. This isn't what I'm talking about above, as it is not switchable (you cannot manually switch into ATTI mode) and it will go back into GPS mode once lock is re-established. This is a natural safety feature.

(There are several threads in the M2 forum area on how to do this with the DJI Assistant software. Search in that forum area with ATTI in the title and see the threads that mention switch or hack.)

Chris

For reference:

Interestingly the M2EA has a built in option to use ATTI - no modification required.

I've no idea about the M3 though.

Interestingly the M2EA has a built in option to use ATTI - no modification required.

Cool. That makes sense, with that being designed for tight spots like SAR. Perhaps that's why the ability is there in other M2 models, built in but without the switch provided by default.

Chris

AUTO ATTI mode defined: As far as I know, most Mavic products, will kick into ATTI mode when GPS is lost. This isn't what I'm talking about above, as it is not switchable (you cannot manually switch into ATTI mode) and it will go back into GPS mode once lock is re-established. This is a natural safety feature.
Drones don't change to Atti Mode when GPS is lost.
Atti Mode is GPS Mode without the GPS.

I wish the M3 had a dedicated ATTI mode. Helpful for all kinds of things and critical for certain things. I have requested/asked about it and I know a least a half dozen others who have asked as well but so far no dice and it seems unlikely. But I'll always hope for it.

I wish the M3 had a dedicated ATTI mode. Helpful for all kinds of things and critical for certain things. I have requested/asked about it and I know a least a half dozen others who have asked as well but so far no dice and it seems unlikely. But I'll always hope for it.
I'm surprised. We all complained loudly about the M2 series not having dedicated ATTI mode, so you think the M3 would have corrected that. What logical reason would they have to say "yeah, we're not going to put it on this model either" after all of that?

Chris

Reactions: kodiak
"We all" is probably a fairly small number in comaprison to the total number of buyers.
Plus if you think back to the clamouring for its release, they could probably have released virtually anything and folks would have been climbing over each other to buy the new wonder drone.

I think the concern on their part is liability and all of the increased service claims. 95% of drone owners can not fly anything. They command a position via GPS and the flight controller does the rest. When you allow people to fly ATTI who shouldn't you can see how it becomes a nightmare for them. Obviously we have it with the Inspire and Matrice but I think they purposefully exclude the mass market machines. The M3C is not exactly mass market so a better case could be made for it. Especially since ATTI is so beneficial to filming.

95% of drone owners can not fly anything.

Dead right.
They just tell the computer what you want to do and it does the flying.

It's really all 95% of drone owners need / want anyway for consumer use, getting nice smooth video and stable photos.

You can get decent cinematic video from FPV atti, but you really have to be good on the sticks, and use a stabilised action cam, or an aftermarket programme like Reel, Steady, Go.

but ATTI is also useful for some smoother video shooting techniques.

Not sure that's correct, flying atti is an art that takes a lot of practice, smooth video with atti = never off the sticks, usually must keep forward motion, faster the better, and using a camera that stabilises well, like the modern Go Pros, DJI action cam, etc.

Forget photos in atti mode, period.

Another thing to remember with full atti is no braking, you must be on top of that . . . all the time.

I really think this is where the DJI FPV drone is a great option (apart from no where near the resilience of a full FPV drones' build structure) for beginners wanting to get into FPV, the 3 flying modes are brilliant for a smooth transition form GPS to atti, and the failsafe in full manual / atti mode brings the drone to an fast stop and hover (like the DJI pause button).

My friend, I've been flying drones since before the flamewheel was a glint in Frank Wang's eye. Started with Mikrokopter stacks and homemade frames. Flew RC helicopters before that starting in the early 80's. So flying modern multi rotors in ATTI is trivial for me and others who truly know how to fly. Even true manual mode (no self leveling whatsoever) is possible but difficult as all h**l. On the larger machines, like heavy lift octos, flying in ATTI is typical for the smoothest motion. Ditto the inspire 2. GPS can be very abrupt. Obviously you can mitigate that to some extent with piloting skill and changing certain parameters but ATTI is just the gold standard for filming. Nothing is smoother. And you are correct- it does take practice. And no braking (hence the smoothness). You just need to learn how to handle it. Anyone can- it just takes time and practice. Most people don't want to put in that kind of effort though. In the 80's there was no other choice. :)

Drones don't change to Atti Mode when GPS is lost.
Atti Mode is GPS Mode without the GPS.
That's the confusion caused by DJI's use of the term.

ATTI is a selectable mode (flycState = 1) on some models, or at least can be made selectable by changing one of the fswitch parameters to 3 (ATTI mode) via the Assistant app replacing one of the default modes. In that mode the FC disables horizontal position holding even if it has a GPS solution, and defaults pitch and roll to zero while holding altitude and heading.

However, flycState = 1 ATTI mode is also selected by the FC if GPS is lost and VPS is unavailable. It's functionally identical; pitch and roll default to zero, while the FC holds altitude and heading.

In ArduPilot terminology, ATTI mode is called Stabilize mode.

I flew some toy drones a couple of years ago. They had no GPS, and the trim was so-so. I eventually got them to hover with constant stick input. Of course they had no cameras, so I don't know what kind of pictures I could take without GPS. I am definitely sorry that neither the Mini 2 or the Air 2S has an ATTI mode, as I sure would like to practice on the off chance that I have a GPS failure at some point.

Get a Phantom 3, it has an 'ATTI' mode, i.e. no automatic postion holding or braking.
If you do, be warned, even in the automated flight modes they do not have landing protection so it is possible to 'descend them into the ground'. This is a real danger if you have become used to the Mavic behaviour, as I nearly found out on a P3 refresher flight.

Reactions: db4476 and Wade L.
Get a Phantom 3, it has an 'ATTI' mode, i.e. no automatic postion holding or braking.
If you do, be warned, even in the automated flight modes they do not have landing protection so it is possible to 'descend them into the ground'. This is a real danger if you have become used to the Mavic behaviour, as I nearly found out on a P3 refresher flight.

Oh, I've got a P3P with a full compliment of batteries. I just never use it because of the lesser quality photo/video of it, the lack of obstacle avoidance, and pretty much else compared to the M2P.

And I have ATTI in the M2P, thanks to the undocumented debug mode config in DJI Assistant.

I'm just asking if someone has figured out (tried the DJI Assistant procedure) if we can have ATTI in the M3. I don't own one, or I would have already tried. I like to think someone else has tried, but nobody has spoken up yet.

Chris

Reactions: lucizenfilm
Oh, I've got a P3P with a full compliment of batteries. I just never use it because of the lesser quality photo/video of it, the lack of obstacle avoidance, and pretty much else compared to the M2P.

And I have ATTI in the M2P, thanks to the undocumented debug mode config in DJI Assistant.

I'm just asking if someone has figured out (tried the DJI Assistant procedure) if we can have ATTI in the M3. I don't own one, or I would have already tried. I like to think someone else has tried, but nobody has spoken up yet.

Chris
Unless Assistant 1.1.2 works with the M3, which I suspect is unlikely, there will be no way to unlock the developer mode necessary to change the appropriate parameters.

I'm surprised. We all complained loudly about the M2 series not having dedicated ATTI mode, so you think the M3 would have corrected that. What logical reason would they have to say "yeah, we're not going to put it on this model either" after all of that?

Chris
That’s because this drone is not marketed to people who know what they are doing, it’s a consumer drone I guess. I don’t know, all the new fancy RTH features, plus atti mode, strange yep.

That’s because this drone is not marketed to people who know what they are doing, it’s a consumer drone I guess. I don’t know, all the new fancy RTH features, plus atti mode, strange yep.
Phantom 3 Pro, consumer drone, RTH and factory ATTI.

They removed ATTI from the Mavic probably (as mentioned above in this thread) it was a headache for them, even though they were never really 'liable'.

The M2P and M3 seem to be marketed to me, a photographer who wants a camera in the sky. But I'm not enterprise / SAR, so I can't afford models above those. But I'm a consumer and I know what I'm doing in respect to ATTI.

Chris

<SNIP>

Chris

Chris, that's pretty interesting. Doing a quick check just now, on the latest version of Assistant that is compatible with the M3 (I'm using the mac version v2.1.8) it seems the prior method/hack of entering the developer menu has been locked down. If you figure out a way, please let us know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman