DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings From SoCali All

Almaz Aswad

Reactions
Happy Holidays I’m Larry and I’m new to the Forum and UAS piloting. I’ve monitored the site for a few weeks and two things are abundantly clear to me. 1.If you’re a guy that’s expecting delivery today of his third Mavic 2 Pro, bought within the last five weeks, you may have some stuff to share. 2. If you’re a guy that’s expecting delivery today of his third Mavic 2 Pro, bought within the last five weeks, you DEFINITELY have a lot of stuff to learn. In either case, this seems like the right place to be.?

ps: just ask, glad to tell you all about it?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hi Larry,

I’ll bite. What happened. By the way, I‘m from Northern CA and almost the same age.

Ken

edit: By the way, welcome to the forum.
Hi Ken and thanks. I’ll try to be short, but it is a saga.

I’m a photographer who’s wanted to add aerial photo and video capability for some time. Thought a “flying Hasselblad“ sounded like a plan. Research, practice, blah, blah. Take it out for first serious flight to a nearby lake in the mountains with open farmland and a big ole lake. Flew for two hours and headed back. See a freight train chugging around mountain and decide to stop and shoot. Few seconds after launch, weak GPS signal warning, land it, recalibrate compass, “READY TO FLY GPS.” Take off and couple minutes later controller switches to “Opti” mode. No I had no clue what that was. Atti mode I knew, Opti mode not so much. I can tell by video that drone is not responding well to my input at all. Seconds later after a futile attempt to visually reorient the craft to fly back, it was less than a couple football fields away, total connection was lost. Wind must have caught it and away it goes.

Can‘t find it, and wherever it was would probably be inaccessible anyway. Figured I was screwed but since I had “refresh” I might as well have the incident looked into in case it wasn’t my fault, and to possibly learn what mistake I made. Opened case, cool, that’s that. It was Dec. 9th. Ordered a new M2P from the car, got it the next day.

Christmas Day we got snow on Mt Baldy not far from my home. Drive up early, cold as hell, but way more beautiful. Flew for an hour and a half, getting uncomfortable, and batteries in drone and phone are suffering the cold temps. Pack up and head down. See fog settling on peaks right across from me and again, because I’m out of favor with the “take a hint gods” decide to stop and shoot. Take off, get the shots and footage in about three minutes, flying it back because fog is rolling in on me too and it’s snowing, this all changed, including visibility, in seconds.

I had filmed flying the drone laterally to my right, not very far at all, I could still hear it. As the conditions went south I was full stick back to the left at the same time, I could hear it again. Literally, just when I could see the fog blot out the video feed and before I could let go the stick and hit RTH, it crashed. 104 ft above me, at 35mph. Still had a picture and 67% battery, but was just irretrievable. Ordered ‘ORVILLE III” from the car, it’s arrival is imminent.

And guess what, there’s a lot more snow on Baldy and I plan to be filming it tomorrow morning. ? Thanks for being such a good listener.?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup
Thank you so much?

Hi Ken and thanks. I’ll try to be short, but it is a saga.

I’m a photographer who’s wanted to add aerial photo and video capability for some time. Thought a “flying Hasselblad“ sounded like a plan. Research, practice, blah, blah. Take it out for first serious flight to a nearby lake in the mountains with open farmland and a big ole lake. Flew for two hours and headed back. See a freight train chugging around mountain and decide to stop and shoot. Few seconds after launch, weak GPS signal warning, land it, recalibrate compass, “READY TO FLY GPS.” Take off and couple minutes later controller switches to “Opti” mode. No I had no clue what that was. Atti mode I knew, Opti mode not so much. I can tell by video that drone is not responding well to my input at all. Seconds later after a futile attempt to visually reorient the craft to fly back, it was less than a couple football fields away, total connection was lost. Wind must have caught it and away it goes.

Can‘t find it, and wherever it was would probably be inaccessible anyway. Figured I was screwed but since I had “refresh” I might as well have the incident looked into in case it wasn’t my fault, and to possibly learn what mistake I made. Opened case, cool, that’s that. It was Dec. 9th. Ordered a new M2P from the car, got it the next day.

Christmas Day we got snow on Mt Baldy not far from my home. Drive up early, cold as hell, but way more beautiful. Flew for an hour and a half, getting uncomfortable, and batteries in drone and phone are suffering the cold temps. Pack up and head down. See fog settling on peaks right across from me and again, because I’m out of favor with the “take a hint gods” decide to stop and shoot. Take off, get the shots and footage in about three minutes, flying it back because fog is rolling in on me too and it’s snowing, this all changed, including visibility, in seconds.

I had filmed flying the drone laterally to my right, not very far at all, I could still hear it. As the conditions went south I was full stick back to the left at the same time, I could hear it again. Literally, just when I could see the fog blot out the video feed and before I could let go the stick and hit RTH, it crashed. 104 ft above me, at 35mph. Still had a picture and 67% battery, but was just irretrievable. Ordered ‘ORVILLE III” from the car, it’s arrival is imminent.

And guess what, there’s a lot more snow on Baldy and I plan to be filming it tomorrow morning. ? Thanks for being such a good listener.?
Sounds like your an avid photographer that will take risks to get “The Shot”. I guess the only lesson learned is that unless you want to buy number 4 dial back on the risks until you get much more experienced. Good luck.

Sounds like your an avid photographer that will take risks to get “The Shot”. I guess the only lesson learned is that unless you want to buy number 4 dial back on the risks until you get much more experienced. Good luck.
Thanks much, Ken. Cheers?

Larry, Larry . . . Larry. Welcome to the forum. Man I normally tell all newbies to spent extensive time in the Lost/Crash/Fly Away section of the forum but you are familiar with everything there. You know EXACTLY what to do now!

I'm near the base of Mount Baldy in the escarpment region of RC. I'll be flying tomorrow to get those new snow shots . . .

Have fun, fly safe (but you already know that) ? Thumbswayup:D;)!!

Reactions: old man mavic
Larry, Larry . . . Larry. Welcome to the forum. Man I normally tell all newbies to spent extensive time in the Lost/Crash/Fly Away section of the forum but you are familiar with everything there. You know EXACTLY what to do now!

I'm near the base of Mount Baldy in the escarpment region of RC. I'll be flying tomorrow to get those new snow shots . . .

Have fun, fly safe (but you already know that) ? Thumbswayup:D;)!!
Hi James and thanks. I'm convinced flying into the wall of rock that was right next to me while fog and snow are rollin in quickly was stupid on my part. I'm not at all convinced that the flyaway was all my fault.

For instance, I found out today while following up with DJI on why no one had contacted me about the fly-away case I filed, that my system was using the wrong date. DJI hadn't replied, they said, because I hadn't synched the flight log. I did, on Dec. 9 the day of the loss. They've apparently analyzed the log but didn't connect the erroneous date on the log with the real date I opened the case. My point is, if the system had an incorrect date, what other data handling might have been malfunctioning at the time I lost connection. Why did the unit drop all connection?

Another little note...I was on the phone for an hour with a DJI tech support supervisor who insisted that "no side sensors in P mode" could not have, and/or should not have contributed to the Wednesday crash because all the sensors are always on. When my newbie *** tried to explain that any and all research I'd done, including flying that way a lot, revealed that the side sensors do not work in P or S mode. Both he, and the rep who proceeded him were adamant that must have been something wrong with my drone. I had to read from page 21 of the manual regarding lateral sensors only available in certain modes etc. he still insisted that it was not saying the sensors were off in P mode. During the conversation he opened a chat with an engineer and the supervisor claimed the engineer supported his point of view. I was so flustered I gave up and was about to hang up. The dude practically yelled for me to wait a moment as he had just found an internal article that explained WHY THE SENSORS DON'T WORK IN P or S MODE.

Anyway, if there's this much confusion in tech support and engineering, maybe it was a technical problem after all. We'll see. Meanwhile won't see you on the mountain on the morning as planned. Raggedy *** Amazon failed to deliver my drone today. Whole other saga. Sigh.

Let's keep in touch. I'd like to find some folks in the area to fly and maybe do some videography projects with.

Happy holidays.

lg

Let's keep in touch. I'd like to find some folks in the area to fly and maybe do some videography projects with.

Happy holidays.

lg
For sure Larry.

DJI is pretty good with Carefresh "if" you have the drone in hand to return to them. Anyway . . . we'll hook up. I fly in a few areas out here in the I.E. Look at my MEDIA PAGE and you'll see a few areas I go. I'll be in touch.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum! :)
Hello from a newbie.

Can you tell me how much DJI sells the M2P for drone alone and battery, no controller or anything else? They are offering me a 15% discount for my flyaway.

thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99