DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you ever encountered a Law Enforcement Official (LEO) while flying? What happened?

Dangerly

Reactions
It's never happened to me, but I suspect nearly every responsible drone pilot thinks about it. I'm curious to hear real stories from people who have had this encounter. What happened? Let's hear it!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
There’s them that has and them that will.
Local sheriff came knocking on my door one day. I wasn’t home, but my better half was. Two of them, which I thought was overkill. They claimed I was flying around someone’s house taking pictures of the sunbathers. My better half just laughed when she heard that. Explained to them I wasn’t home and they left a phone number for me to call.
The house in question was(they wouldn’t give me the exact location)was 8 to 9 thousand feet away. The victim(?)also claimed that the perp(my drone?)was about 50 to 75 feet AGL. Had the two badges known anything about radio transmission, they probably wouldn’t have even knocked on my door.
I gave them a very brief course on how DJI products work via line of site and some simple math equations. With that information, they haven’t been back since. I did mention to them that they may want to check with the FAA to determine that I wasn’t the only flying camera operator in the valley. I did see several years ago on some FAA website a list by zip code of how many drone pilots there were. As I remember there were several hundred in my area. Not sure if that list ever got updated to current count and I don’t really care.

They(the guys with the badges)know where I live but I’ve not been approached since. I have always leaned towards not putting myself in a position for them to hunt me down since I started flying around eight years ago.
People can say anything. It’s on you to prove innocence anymore when the LEO shows up. Sad times.

People can say anything. It’s on you to prove innocence anymore when the LEO shows up. Sad times.
I completely agree . . . which I why I have EVERYTHING in my flight bag . . .

Not LEO, but I did have a couple of utilities company workers approach me while I was flying from a public footpath around a reservoir a while back. No problem at all since I had just landed the drone at the time; I explained what I was doing, showed them the drone and some of the footage - mostly wide angle scenics with some closer shots of the pumping station and dam.

We then had a discussion about how drones were being used to help with their surveys, but as it wasn't their department they'd never actually seen one up close before making it pretty clear their main motivation was curiosity, so I sent it back up and gave them a quick demo.

Reactions: Torque
I was flying in front of the police station in a town nearby (good parking lot...). An officer pulled in and completely ignored me. I felt neglected...
Note that I live in a rural area with no flying restrictions for many miles, and few drone flyers. Drones are still a curiosity.

Spain -> lifted the drone (Mini 2) to shoot the construction site where I was working (inspection) -> 10 minutes later 2 police officers were at my location. I had to give them explanations for more than one hour, during which they photographed all my documents, pilot licences, drone, operator number, passport and so on. They said they will report this to local aviation authorities and they will decide if they fine me or not.

It was an authorization zone but I could not ask for permission in the absence of a Spanish national ID card. I therefore decided to try my luck while respecting all EASA regulations (drone is geo-caged anyway).

Later on I realized I was detected by Aeroscope since there was a technology fair nearby (MWC - Barcelona).

Reactions: zonurben and Yaros
Yes, a couple of times; separately. Both were very interested and thought it was cool. I showed them my screen to see what I was seeing. They asked questions; because they had no idea what the laws are. A great learning experience. One Officer didn't want to leave. Finally said he was going to buy one and asked me what I thought would be a good one to start with. Had a really good time with both.

For questions from LEO or Public, maybe carry something like this, laminated, in your flight bag.

Response to LEO or Public Questions

First, land aircraft, then engage in conversation. If convenient, have the person read this while aircraft is being landed.

Be respectful, courteous, and calm.

Ask if they have a concern about what I am doing or are they just interested in flying an unmanned aircraft.

If ‘concerned’, ask what the concern is and why?

Explain that flying an unmanned aircraft is well regulated and that I try very hard to fly safely, respectfully, and in compliance with regulations.

Additionally, there are established safety protocols which I abide by (e.g. Academy of Model Aeronautics)

Then:
  • Show my FAA license and explain getting this requires study and a difficult FAA examination.
  • Show B4UFy app which shows status of airspace and any ATC LAANC authorizations.
  • Refer to (Federal) 14CFR107
  • Refer to Arizona Statutes 13-3729
  • Answer any technical questions

Reactions: LoudThunder
Yes, a couple of times; separately. Both were very interested and thought it was cool. I showed them my screen to see what I was seeing. They asked questions; because they had no idea what the laws are. A great learning experience. One Officer didn't want to leave. Finally said he was going to buy one and asked me what I thought would be a good one to start with. Had a really good time with both.
That's probably a Normal encounter....

I crack myself up.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Later on I realized I was detected by Aeroscope since there was a technology fair nearby (MWC - Barcelona).
OMG, yes, in Spain it's a freaking problem with Aeroscope, they install it everywhere in big cities, I hate that!
Barcelona, Valencia, and Madrid are all complete No-Fly Zones, recently they fined a guy 220K euros for flying in Barcelona, also tracked him by aeroscope.
Because they put CTRs like HUGE radius (about 20 km radius around airport) and there is NO WAY to get authorization to fly.
AESA don't respond to emails basically, so no way to fly legally.
I'm from Spain but from Mallorca, yes, aeroscope is here too (probably) but I'm 20 km away from controlled airspace, however one time I was flying on the edge of controlled airspace and a helicopter came to my location to check out the situation, hovered and circled the area where I was flying for a couple of minutes, and then went away...

Not yet, but I suspect it will happen eventually. I make sure I'm always flying in compliance with all rules and regulations, I have my pilots license, proof of registration, LAANC authorization, proof of insurance and pre-flght plan. And I plan to be very polite and respectful as to them just doing their job.

Every time I fly a construction site in city... doing a 3 yr construction now. Early Sunday morning to reduce traffic and walkers in area.
Scanner on, I hear a complaint about every 3rd time... and shortly after LEO drive by, they notice who's flying and wave as he passes by.

Other times, very casual... never a challenge or problem.
I'm Midwest, so maybe not as much tension. I do have a few neighbors that wave with middle finger if I'm in my yard casually experimenting with software or payload; Overall most smile and chat.

It's never happened to me, but I suspect nearly every responsible drone pilot thinks about it. I'm curious to hear real stories from people who have had this encounter. What happened? Let's hear it!
No. I’ve heard stories of them dealing with complaints from paranoid idiots but I’ve never been approached myself. My neighbour has a drone too so I think my neighbourhood is pretty drone friendly which is nice 😊

Reactions: R.Cowan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman