DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you experienced a Mavic air 2 shut off mid air?

TheCEO

Reactions
Hi good day. I have a mavic air 2 and I’ve been Reading a lot about them shutting off mid flight. Not due to pressing the sticks together like DJI a wants to say but some people’s MA2 are shutting off mid flight which of course is a risk to not only losing your drone but also causing damage elsewhere. Have any of you experienced this with your drone?

Hi good day. I have a mavic air 2 and I’ve been Reading a lot about them shutting off mid flight. Not due to pressing the sticks together like DJI a wants to say but some people’s MA2 are shutting off mid flight which of course is a risk to not only losing your drone but also causing damage elsewhere. Have any of you experienced this with your drone?
Not seen much ... if any of that here. Where have you read that?

Reactions: Thomas B
Not seen much ... if any of that here. Where have you read that?
I was told by someone who has a MA2 so I looked it up and if you google “mavic air shut off mid flight” or mavic air engine shut off there’s tons of articles and forums and also on YouTube as well

We keep close tabs on the Air 2 and are not aware of this. Could you be talking about the Batter Swelling which can sometimes cause a dis connect in which the Air 2 falls to the ground ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you AIR 2 in the Pouring rain and falling Snow

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I was told by someone who has a MA2 so I looked it up and if you google “mavic air shut off mid flight” or mavic air engine shut off there’s tons of articles and forums and also on YouTube as well
It will be similar if you Google "FlyAway" ... tons of hits from people that without proof claim that their drones just flew away without them doing anything wrong.

Going through this forums "Crash & Flyaway assistance" section, shows on the contrary though ... that over 90% of the initially claimed "Flyaways" in reality is pilot errors.

But as these flying machines are made by humans they aren't failsafe ... the last 10% consists of battery failures (from batteries not abused earlier by the pilots), hardware faults & software or computational errors in the IMU's.

That's why you always should do your pre-flight check, plan for the worst & chose location and fly accordingly ...

OK ... a post from 2017 for Mavic Pro's & without logs? Don't really know what conclusions I can draw from that.

Things like that happen. I have come across multiple reports in this forum about connection cutting off suddenly mid flight and the craft did not return home. Most looked like power cutting off for unknown reasons. This is a recent occurrence on an Air 2 : Mavic Air 2 - Sudden Power Loss & Fall

Last edited:
Things like that happen. I have come across multiple reports in this forum about connection cutting off suddenly mid flight and the craft did not return home. Most looked like power cutting off for unknown reasons. This is a recent occurrence on an Air 2 : Mavic Air 2 - Sudden Power Loss & Fall
That’s what I don’t understand. I’m seeing so many reports of this yet people seem to say “user error” but it’s happening more with the mavic air 2.

No Here’s and actual video of it happening Mavic Falls out of Sky (VIDEO)
Thanks for sharing the video: Thankfully this was back in 2017
It appears to be user to error me : Garage , Concrete and antennas all seem to be problematic , however even if
magnetic interference is detected the drone should not fall from the sky..,

The good news is we have since Tested the Air 2 in every possible way we can with excellent results therefore
I would have no worries about getting it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in Pouring Rain and Snow.

It will be similar if you Google "FlyAway" ... tons of hits from people that without proof claim that their drones just flew away without them doing anything wrong.

Going through this forums "Crash & Flyaway assistance" section, shows on the contrary though ... that over 90% of the initially claimed "Flyaways" in reality is pilot errors.

But as these flying machines are made by humans they aren't failsafe ... the last 10% consists of battery failures (from batteries not abused earlier by the pilots), hardware faults & software or computational errors in the IMU's.

That's why you always should do your pre-flight check, plan for the worst & chose location and fly accordingly ...

OK ... a post from 2017 for Mavic Pro's & without logs? Don't really know what conclusions I can draw from that.
There’s are several people with proof and logs within this same forum of you search the topic “mavic air 2 power loss while flying” I’ve seen Video proof that I’ll attach below where the motor preservation kicked in basically made it fall out the sky. Dji themselves saying “power loss due to motor preservation” mid flight. You said most were “hardware faults,software or computational errors in the IMU’s”. Whether that’s the reason or something else my point is a drone should be falling out of the sky like that. I’ve had the phantom 3 and 4 and never had that issue before. I understand it seems like user error but there’s way too many videos like the one below where it simply overloads motor and goes

Reactions: spsphotos
It appears to be user to error me : Garage , Concrete and antennas all seem to be problematic , however even if

The good news is we have since Tested the Air 2 in every possible way we can with excellent results therefore

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in Pouring Rain and Snow. I’ve had a phantom 3 and 4 and have flown in a garage

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in Pouring Rain and Snow.
I’ve had a phantom 3 and 4 and have flown in a garage, concrete and never have had a drone shut off while flying. A flyaway would make more sense in that case but a complete shut off of a flying object being justified doesn’t make sense. I love this MA2 I’ve had it sitting here for a week because not sure if I’m going to return it for a pro 2. But I think we are so used to DJI having great products that even with tons of people saying “I did every flight pre check” video and log evidence we still don’t seem to believe it’s possible. I want to keep the air 2 it’s literally the only thing that worries me about it is all

Reactions: roger boivin
That’s what I don’t understand. I’m seeing so many reports of this yet people seem to say “user error” but it’s happening more with the mavic air 2.
This kind of cases amount to less than 10% of the reported incidences in this forum so I won't describe it as many. Base on the flight logs provided by owners, it's true that quite a lot of crashes or fly aways were due to user errors.

This kind of cases amount to less than 10% of the reported incidences in this forum so I won't describe it as many. Base on the flight logs provided by owners, it's true that quite a lot of crashes or fly aways were due to user errors.
But I feel like the ones that’s are due to IMU errors, esc’s,computer errors or anything are being dismissed as user error or not simply the drone glitched and fell. Which is ok for a cell phone but not for something that flies I guess is my point

Dji started offering flyaway insurance only for mavic air mini 2 and air 2 in the recent firmware update (why only those 2 models?) which on another forum the guy specifically said when speaking to them thru phone they said because of the 1 IMU opposed to 2 IMU’s on the pro (ok that makes sense) the interesting part the Dji rep also mentioned motor failure. I know Dji refresh covers this on all drones but I think they’ve gotten enough calls about this to where adding insurance for it is better then admitting there’s an issue. If you look below this post you’ll see another 3-4 forums talking about this same issue, I highly doubt all of them as user error. We all know the pre flight check lists and what to do

But I feel like the ones that’s are due to IMU errors, esc’s,computer errors or anything are being dismissed as user error or not simply the drone glitched and fell. Which is ok for a cell phone but not for something that flies I guess is my point
Ok for me that second Houston video was a not the same as the first.

We have tested the Air 2 in the car, in the pouring rain , in the snow, from inside the house and landing on the Water with remote take offs , and have not had any issues.

I believe there may have been a problem with the way the drone handled Magnetic interference a quick update solved that issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in a War Zone. !

Reactions: eaglesurfing
No Here’s and actual video of it happening Mavic Falls out of Sky (VIDEO)
You will always find examples of failing equipment ... they will never be 100% failsafe. The vast majority of incidents comes from ignorant pilots ... and not a few also honestly think that these gadgets can safely be flown without any pre-knowledge, no consideration regarding weather or wind & believe that if DJI are allowed to sell to the broad public nothing should be allowed to happen.

So let's do the math ... how many drones do you think DJI sells yearly, and how does that stack up with the number of cases you can find floating around in WWW that are proven to be without the pilot to blame?

If you are worried about your present or future drone the best thing you can do is to acquire knowledge about how/why they fly, thoroughly read up in the user manual & test off everything low & slow in a open obstacle free area. Also read up for instance here in the forum & learn about others mishaps (perhaps start to read/understand all the logs by yourself?).

Then as I earlier said ... always plan for the worst, if you aren't prepared to lose your investment to never be found again ... avoid flying over water. Don't fly over people or property, and obey the regulations. And lastly ... respect the weather conditions, rather skip flying one day & fly more another instead.

... simply the drone glitched and fell. Which is ok for a cell phone but not for something that flies I guess is my point

These drones aren't made according to the same strict regulations as manned air crafts ... they don't have the same amount of redundancy built in & aren't regularly serviced and overhauled by educated service teams.

You as a drone pilot need to consider this when & where you fly, learn to handle your craft, know what to avoid, do your pre-flight checks & learn how to behave if thing's go wrong.

But if this with flying drones worries you too much ... then perhaps spend your time on other hobbies instead.

Ok for me that second Houston video was a not the same as the first.

We have tested the Air 2 in the car, in the pouring rain , in the snow, from inside the house and landing on the Water with remote take offs , and have not had any issues.

I believe there may have been a problem with the way the drone handled Magnetic interference a quick update solved that issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in a War Zone. !
I agree! Looks like 2 seperate issues. And I’m hoping it’s fixed, I love the air 2, my point is both rendered the drone to stop flying safely. There’s too many Recent forums of people with the latest firmware. To be clear I want to keep this thing, I just wanted to ask and see if anyone has had the issue as I’ve been seeing others say they have

Reactions: roger boivin
You will always find examples of failing equipment ... they will never be 100% failsafe. The vast majority of incidents comes from ignorant pilots ... and not a few also honestly think that these gadgets can safely be flown without any pre-knowledge, no consideration regarding weather or wind & believe that if DJI are allowed to sell to the broad public nothing should be allowed to happen.

So let's do the math ... how many drones do you think DJI sells yearly, and how does that stack up with the number of cases you can find floating around in WWW that are proven to be without the pilot to blame?

If you are worried about your present or future drone the best thing you can do is to acquire knowledge about how/why they fly, thoroughly read up in the user manual & test off everything low & slow in a open obstacle free area. Also read up for instance here in the forum & learn about others mishaps (perhaps start to read/understand all the logs by yourself?).

Then as I earlier said ... always plan for the worst, if you aren't prepared to lose your investment to never be found again ... avoid flying over water. Don't fly over people or property, and obey the regulations. And lastly ... respect the weather conditions, rather skip flying one day & fly more another instead.

These drones aren't made according to the same strict regulations as manned air crafts ... they don't have the same amount of redundancy built in & aren't regularly serviced and overhauled by educated service teams.

You as a drone pilot need to consider this when & where you fly, learn to handle your craft, know what to avoid, do your pre-flight checks & learn how to behave if thing's go wrong.

But if this with flying drones worries you too much ... then perhaps spend your time on other hobbies instead.
I agree. And honestly Im very careful when I do fly. Always do the pre flight things and I agree with you. You sound very knowledgeable about this and your right out of 1000’s of drones there’s going to be funny ones. My point is no level of expertise of flying could help if your flying and the drone shuts off while it’s in the air. That’s the part that even myself can’t believe has happened even once. A flyaway I understand because of interference. But I feel anything of the sort of it falling out the sky for whatever reason should be looked into is all. Especially when I love the air 2 so much lol

Reactions: slup
My point is no level of expertise of flying could help if your flying and the drone shuts off while it’s in the air. That’s the part that even myself can’t believe has happened even once.
You have trouble believing that pilots couldn't possibly fail to properly latch the battery, or that a swollen battery couldn't lose connection, or that flying in moist, cold conditions wouldn't cause prop icing, or that there might even be a rare genuine hardware problem?

A flyaway I understand because of interference.
But you understand a "flyaway" caused by interference?
I don't.
It's something that I've never seen or heard evidence of.
At worst, interference might swamp your control signal which would trigger RTH.
The fears you are expressing aren't able to be supported by hard evidence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000