DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

CustomRCMods

Reactions
Yesterday I flew to try to get a cool shot of the lame sunset on the gloomy, snowy day. Temps were in the mid 30s (Farenheit) and I had 17 Satilites. This was the 116th flight with my month-old Mavic Pro, and IMU, compass, and everything else looked normal. It was getting dark, not to the pitch black point, but obviously darker than takeoff, so I elected to bring it home. I selected the Auto RTH feature, which I had previously tested (and I am amazed by!!) Everything was looking good until about 30ft from the landing site, I was spot-on for a good landing. Then, the Mavic started drifting... slowly at first. (This was into the wind by the way) I grabbed the controls but couldn’t do anything but watch my baby smack into a tree. (I tried the sticks, the pause button, the cancel button, everything!!) there wasn’t that much time so I am not completely sure if all those actually didn’t work, but I tried them. I am not sure I was disconnected though, as I successfully performed a CSC to kill the motors. As a side note, obstacle avoidance and possibly VPS were inactive due to the low ambient light.

The carnage report.... pretty light actually. A single rear blade was damaged, about 1/2 inch off the end. This was the first flight I ever used the gimbal dome... before I took off I saw a little snow coming down and elected to use it... and it saved my gimbal. The drone crashed about 15ft high into the tree, then toppled to it’s final resting place on the lowest branch 10ft off the ground. I found the drone hanging by one of the front landing legs swinging back and forth in the tree. If that landing gear hadn’t caught, my drone would have freefalled the rest of the way to the pavement, and shattered into a million pieces. Boy am I lucky.

I wish this crash was human error, but now I am skeptical if my drone will do this again the next time I fly.

Here are my ideas of why it crashed:
-Low ambient light (no sensors)
-compass issue (although I wasn’t warned pre-flight)
-new firmware.... maybe? I updated to the latest version about a week ago.

So... what now? I really would hate for this to happen again, as I likely wouldn’t be so lucky.

I will post the footage below, and I could possibly give some flight records, but I don’t see that helping, as it looks just like any other Mavic crash.... nothing abnormal until the “motors obstructed” message appears. It was in GoHome mode the entire time, and no stick inputs.

Here is the crash report... pretty much everything I said above

Let’s get to the bottom of this!

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Following.

I am not convinced the flight log will help... any similar threads you could link me to?

any similar threads you could link me to?
If you just want to dive into random flyaway cases in general, then check out these threads. If you want to discuss your specific case, then you'll need to post your flight log.

Reactions: PlatinumPilot
If you just want to dive into random flyaway cases in general, then check out these threads. If you want to discuss your specific case, then you'll need to post your flight log.

Woah there... I heard you the first time. I am currently unable as I don’t have my drone with me but if you would like to see the DJI go log I would send it on over...

Woah there... I heard you the first time.
Ah. You seemed pretty confused. I was wondering why you asked if you should post the logs twice now.

Reactions: pixl and adamjaeger
Anyone have any idea why my drone flew into a large metal sheet in tripod mode?
My controller was rendered useless as it plummeted into the tail of an abandoned airplane.
Obviously, I'm an amateur.
The flight log offer no insight I can de-code

Anyone have any idea why my drone flew into a large metal sheet in tripod mode?
My controller was rendered useless as it plummeted into the tail of an abandoned airplane.
Obviously, I'm an amateur.
The flight log offer no insight I can de-code

No Idea. Start your own thread and post your logs?

Reactions: zero1981
Yesterday I flew to try to get a cool shot of the lame sunset on the gloomy, snowy day. Temps were in the mid 30s (Farenheit) and I had 17 Satilites. This was the 116th flight with my month-old Mavic Pro, and IMU, compass, and everything else looked normal. It was getting dark, not to the pitch black point, but obviously darker than takeoff, so I elected to bring it home. I selected the Auto RTH feature, which I had previously tested (and I am amazed by!!) Everything was looking good until about 30ft from the landing site, I was spot-on for a good landing. Then, the Mavic started drifting... slowly at first. (This was into the wind by the way) I grabbed the controls but couldn’t do anything but watch my baby smack into a tree. (I tried the sticks, the pause button, the cancel button, everything!!) there wasn’t that much time so I am not completely sure if all those actually didn’t work, but I tried them. I am not sure I was disconnected though, as I successfully performed a CSC to kill the motors. As a side note, obstacle avoidance and possibly VPS were inactive due to the low ambient light.

The carnage report.... pretty light actually. A single rear blade was damaged, about 1/2 inch off the end. This was the first flight I ever used the gimbal dome... before I took off I saw a little snow coming down and elected to use it... and it saved my gimbal. The drone crashed about 15ft high into the tree, then toppled to it’s final resting place on the lowest branch 10ft off the ground. I found the drone hanging by one of the front landing legs swinging back and forth in the tree. If that landing gear hadn’t caught, my drone would have freefalled the rest of the way to the pavement, and shattered into a million pieces. Boy am I lucky.

I wish this crash was human error, but now I am skeptical if my drone will do this again the next time I fly.

Here are my ideas of why it crashed:
-Low ambient light (no sensors)
-compass issue (although I wasn’t warned pre-flight)
-new firmware.... maybe? I updated to the latest version about a week ago.

So... what now? I really would hate for this to happen again, as I likely wouldn’t be so lucky.

I will post the footage below, and I could possibly give some flight records, but I don’t see that helping, as it looks just like any other Mavic crash.... nothing abnormal until the “motors obstructed” message appears. It was in GoHome mode the entire time, and no stick inputs.

Here is the crash report... pretty much everything I said above

Let’s get to the bottom of this!

Just want to say that you're not supposed to fly with the gimbal dome on as there is an air intake behind the gimbal. By leaving the dome on you're restricting the flow of air and your Mavic may well overheat - kinda like blocking the air vents on your desktop.

Just want to say that you're not supposed to fly with the gimbal dome on as there is an air intake behind the gimbal. By leaving the dome on you're restricting the flow of air and your Mavic may well overheat - kinda like blocking the air vents on your desktop.

I understand, and that is why this flight (my 116th flight) was the only one I have ever used the gimbal dome. Again, it was just above freezing, so I don’t see how I could have any overheating issues... and I would rather risk overheating than destroy my gimbal in a crash! Anyway....

I understand, and that is why this flight (my 116th flight) was the only one I have ever used the gimbal dome. Again, it was just above freezing, so I don’t see how I could have any overheating issues... and I would rather risk overheating than destroy my gimbal in a crash! Anyway....

I'd rather not risk overheating, as if it overheats and crashes, it destroys everything anyway. :D

I'd rather not risk overheating, as if it overheats and crashes, it destroys everything anyway. :D
Again, It was just above freezing... tell me how it will overheat at 35 degees :p... AND this particular flight it saved me from hundreds of $$ in repairs... I am not complaining... are you?

you are right... Overheating is a big think to look out for, and I sure will be removing that gimbal dome if the temps are over 50 degrees or so. also... wouldn't the app let you know you were overheating the drone?? IDK, an error I hope to never deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas