DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do watch your 4K drone footage on your 4K tv’s?

Douglas24

Reactions
Hi there.

I’m having a bit of a problem with how I’m gonna play my 4K drone footage on my 65” 4K TV. The TV is an LG Smart TV running WebOS 3.5 I think it is.
The tv doesn’t support the MOV-format, which means the only way I can think of watching it, is through a 4K Apple TV or my PS4 Pro which I haven’t tried yet.

YouTube isn’t an option for me, because of the decreasing in video quality when uploading it. I want to see the original file.

So I thought I’d ask: How do you other guys play it?

I would try the Apple TV but you could also convert to a format compatible with your TV as well. Here is a link to an alternative solution as well. I personally use a Samsung 4K TV so I do not have direct experience.
How to Watch QuickTime MOV files on LG Smart TV from USB/Hard Drive
I will definitely try that program, as long as it’s free to use.
The thing is I have a NAS-drive (network hard drive) so the idea was to move all drone content from the computer to the NAS-drive, and then access it from the LG TV, which it unfortunately didn’t support, so I hope that program can help it, also without loss of quality.
I’ve also discovered that the PS4 Pro actually do support playing the files, also in it’s original 4K resolution, but I think there’s a limit as to how big a file size it can read. I had one video file on 16 GB the PS4 wouldn’t show, but the LG TV did, but the tv just couldn’t play it. Will try that program tomorrow and see how it goes.
Any other suggestions?

You could change the container in the DJI app to MP4 rather than MOV. I don't know what restrictions may be on video through USB of your particular TV but WebOS 3.5 supports MP4/AVC files.

I go from NAS to Blu-Ray Player to TV, using the Blu-Ray interface. This has been working really well with Mavic videos and every other video I have ever tried. Nice too for H.265 Blu-Ray rips if that's your thing at all.

Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

It was $150 last Black Friday.

I looked at other methods including re-coding the movies, but in the end the expense was worth the time saved.

Reactions: Douglas24
You could change the container in the DJI app to MP4 rather than MOV. I don't know what restrictions may be on video through USB of your particular TV but WebOS 3.5 supports MP4/AVC files.
Didn’t even know you could do that. Can you tell me where I do that? I’ve looked, but can’t find where, but I suppose it’s because I have to connect the drone first. Will try it when I get home from work :)

Yep . . . do the same. Use MP4 format. I remove the MicroSD card and put it in a USB adapter (came with the MicroSD card), and then plug it into the TV. I then sit down and curse my lack of flying and photography skills in 4K. I then unplug from the TV and put it in the computer to download to the NAS.

Cheers

A little update from me - I found out where to change the file format of the videos, and apparently it was already set as MP4. Guess my TV is the problem, which just won't play them. But the PS4 Pro does, so I can easily live with that, and save myself the trouble of switching my Apple TV4 to a TV4K. And the 16 GB videofile that the PS4 wouldn't show in the list of videos wasn't there, because THAT one was in .MOV format, thanks to iMovie. The next step was to find out how to make iMovie save a file in MP4 instead of MOV, so my devices could read it. Just had to select "high" as the quality and the file was automatically saved as MP4, and the file went from 16 GB to 865 MB, without any loss of quality from what I can see on the big screen through the PS4. Truly amazing this all is!
Thanks for all your inputs, greatly appreciated them. Happy flying!

Hi there.

I’m having a bit of a problem with how I’m gonna play my 4K drone footage on my 65” 4K TV. The TV is an LG Smart TV running WebOS 3.5 I think it is.
The tv doesn’t support the MOV-format, which means the only way I can think of watching it, is through a 4K Apple TV or my PS4 Pro which I haven’t tried yet.

YouTube isn’t an option for me, because of the decreasing in video quality when uploading it. I want to see the original file.

I watch on my Samsung 4K HDR TV, in a couple of ways download the files from the drone to my laptop plug the laptop into the TV using a HDMI cable, second way is once the MP4 files are on my laptop I can also wirelessly connect to my TV and watch the videos this way which is really easy

I upload videos on Vimeo.com which supports 4K, however, I think there is a yearly fee for HD/4K, like $60 per year or something for a Pro account. It supports up to 200GB per week uploads.

I think my LG supports it as is on a USB drive. I use handbrake to down convert 4k to 1080, but you also can change the output format in Handbrake and keep it 4k. Plus Handbrake is free.

Hi there.

Use mp4

Reactions: Haggar
I think my LG supports it as is on a USB drive. I use handbrake to down convert 4k to 1080, but you also can change the output format in Handbrake and keep it 4k. Plus Handbrake is free.

Love Handbreak. Great program. Didn’t know you could do that tho.Gonna try it. My 4ks play choppy, but 720 plays great. I use it to add subtitles to Russian movies.

I’ve spent the whole day on this problem. My conclusion is this....most equipment cannot handle the 4096 lines. One member suggested downgrading with Handbreak to 2048, or lower. This will fix it, but why did we choose a 4K instrument? My Visio tv is capable of playing 4K but when I tried to play straight from a thumb drive...I still got the strobing and trembling. I found an app called 5kplayer, that quite good at playing the larger files. I still seem to do better with one step down tho. I wasn’t really paying attention when filming and was using auto settings, so it wasn’t a problem until I set manual, and specified the higher settings., I have a new Macmini and a MacBook Pro. Both are post 2010. So now that I use the 5k program I’m having better results.

I’ve spent the whole day on this problem. My conclusion is this....most equipment cannot handle the 4096 lines. One member suggested downgrading with Handbreak to 2048, or lower. This will fix it, but why did we choose a 4K instrument? My Visio tv is capable of playing 4K but when I tried to play straight from a thumb drive...I still got the strobing and trembling. I found an app called 5kplayer, that quite good at playing the larger files. I still seem to do better with one step down tho. I wasn’t really paying attention when filming and was using auto settings, so it wasn’t a problem until I set manual, and specified the higher settings., I have a new Macmini and a MacBook Pro. Both are post 2010. So now that I use the 5k program I’m having better results.

I don't know the difference between what you have and what I have, but my LG can play 4k perfectly off of a thumb drive. I would suggest trying a different thumb drive. I don't know if they are rated like sd cards are, but that might be the issue.

I put my drone videos on my NAS which has Plex installed. Then stream to a Plex client connected to my 4k TV. Works well and Plex is free.

I put my drone videos on my NAS which has Plex installed. Then stream to a Plex client connected to my 4k TV. Works well and Plex is free.
What type of NAS do you use? I also put all my drone pix/videos on mine (PR4100), but convert them to 1080 first since my plex players can't do 4k. They can play them back, but not in 4k. Not worth the overhead on the NAS to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura