DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many 107 Licensed Users are prevented from taking off

Yes, it's different because DJI's decisions don't have the force of law and can't result in you getting a ticket or going to jail. If you disagree with DJI, you can purchase a product from a different manufacturer that doesn't try to impose their own set of restrictions.
If you are DJI, trying to increase sales, why in the world would you be more conservative than the governing bodies you are trying to appease?

Maybe DJI would be interested in making an alternative brand recommendation to me. After all, going from no geo-fencing to excessive geo fencing is really the business model that makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Does this mean that the self-unlock is tied to the LAANC authorization database? I did not think it was, and would be surprised to learn it is, but would prefer that it be exactly tied.

I have used the LAANC authorization just in case someone comes by to challenge my authorization to fly there not to unlock the motors.

When previously successful with self-unlock, the GO app has a Cancel/Yes pop up to which I check the three boxes, and submit for self-unlock. The first time doing so, I received a verification code to enter. Thereafter, no code, but unlock anyway. The third time rejected, though I admit I didn't request authorization from LAANC. It was 6:30 AM on a Thursday. Not likely to be challenged by a passerby, or other.

If authorization is available up to 400 feet, why would DJI lock it down? At best, it should be a Warning Zone, and not an Authorization Zone. Less than 1/4 mile away; approximately, the airspace is class G.

To me, these are the inconsistencies, I'm speaking of.

At another location, I cannot get LAANC authorization, but DJI says go for it. WTF?

DJI's database doesn't directly correspond to the UAS Facility Map that LAANC is based on. DJI also has no idea if you have obtained a LAANC authorization or not; the "code" that DJI requests is just a SMS they use to link your self unlock to a particular phone number.

If you are flying in that area without seeking an LAANC authorization, then you are illegally flying in controlled airspace without authorization. That's not good.

If you are DJI, trying to increase sales, why in the world would you be more conservative than the governing bodies you are trying to appease?

That argument doesn't make common sense.

Well, DJI's system was developed before a lot of formal drone rules were established, and they attempted to be conservative in some respects in order to head off further regulation by the authorities. They were trying to avoid the headlines of some idiot flying their drone right into the flight path of a major airport, which ultimately would cut into their sales if their drones got banned.

The issue I described in an earlier post just happened to me. I'm going to put a screenshot of what I see when it occurs. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe the fly safe (I think that's what it's called but I'm not sure) needs to be updated. It's not a huge deal as I'm not 107 certified yet. I am taking the test in early October and plan on starting a small side business. If this happened while in front of clients that would be frustrating and embarrassing. Screenshot_20190830-195232.jpeg

The issue I described in an earlier post just happened to me. I'm going to put a screenshot of what I see when it occurs. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe the fly safe (I think that's what it's called but I'm not sure) needs to be updated. It's not a huge deal as I'm not 107 certified yet. I am taking the test in early October and plan on starting a small side business. If this happened while in front of clients that would be frustrating and embarrassing. View attachment 80691
I considered that and have updated the fly safe. I have yet to test it.
After the update, I wish I hadn't updated
It's hard to imagine it becoming more realistic. Instead, I suspect there will be greater clamp down.

DJI's database doesn't directly correspond to the UAS Facility Map that LAANC is based on. DJI also has no idea if you have obtained a LAANC authorization or not; the "code" that DJI requests is just a SMS they use to link your self unlock to a particular phone number.

If you are flying in that area without seeking an LAANC authorization, then you are illegally flying in controlled airspace without authorization. That's not good.
Didn't think so. It needs to be in lock step. Anything short of lock step is taxation without representation by a foreign governance. You good with that?

"illegally flying in controlled airspace without authorization That's not good."
Seriously? It's 6:30 in the morning over a lake. I hesitate to say, "the worst that could happen" is crashing into a bass, but you leave me no choice

I considered that and have updated the fly safe. I have yet to test it.
After the update, I wish I hadn't updated
It's hard to imagine it becoming more realistic. Instead, I suspect there will be greater clamp down.
I don’t follow the first 2 statements. Did you test it or not?

Well, DJI's system was developed before a lot of formal drone rules were established, and they attempted to be conservative in some respects in order to head off further regulation by the authorities. They were trying to avoid the headlines of some idiot flying their drone right into the flight path of a major airport, which ultimately would cut into their sales if their drones got banned.
[Content removed by Admin] there were no rules when they started raking in the cash other than a CBO. If I had to comply with a CBO, which at the time was an AMA field, then no way would I have bought a drone. I remember thinking while flying my P3S that it was hard to imagine that this was legal, and yet...

From my perspective, the only reason they adopted any geo-fencing was to prevent the risk of a ban on drones. By complying, they at least appear to be playing nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why then do you wish you had not updated?
I'm concerned that it will be worse, and not better.

I had hoped that DJI would refine the geo-fencing as time passes. That it would be more in lock step with the FAA. But, learning of all the people's dis-satisfaction with their product customer service, it's hard to imagine they would listen to pilots pointing out the disparity, then go to the expense of the coding necessary to reduce the disconnect between their geo-fencing and the FAA' guidance; especially since they have spread their R&D resources against multiple non drone related product categories such as hand held gimbals, AI robots,

In my opinion, the consumer market for drones peaked in 2017, and DJI sees more revenue from agencies buying more advanced drone equipment. The greater the advancement i.e. robotic, the greater the sales price, and the more lucrative the market; especially since they are the house hold name. Everything else, is customized, and not off the shelf.

Last edited:
I'm concerned that it will be worse, and not better.

I had hoped that DJI would refine the geo-fencing as time passes. That it would be more in lock step with the FAA.

DJI recently entered into an agreement with the FAA to directly become a LAANC provider, so I would imagine their map will become in sync with the LAANC system sometime soon.

Reactions: Gindra
DJI recently entered into an agreement with the FAA to directly become a LAANC provider, so I would imagine their map will become in sync with the LAANC system sometime soon.
Of course we’ve been waiting for this for this for at least 9 months. I personally doubt it will.

Reactions: AngelAndres
I hope so. That's all I'm asking for. I'll play by the rules. I just want one set of rules. That seems reasonable.

Reactions: Gindra
Of course we’ve been waiting for this for this for at least 9 months. I personally doubt it will.
There's no money in it for them other than expense, and if there is an accident and they participated in the authorization involved in the accident, then, well...nothing really as they are thousands of miles away from the event. How can you hold them accountable? You could indict them, but so, what?...nothing.

I hope so. That's all I'm asking for. I'll play by the rules. I just want one set of rules. That seems reasonable.
Interestingly I fly with a CS and never ask DJI for clearance. I routinely fly in the fringes of regional and international airport airspace. I have long term clearance for my most commonly used practice area through the FAA DroneZone site (above).
“Can’t Take-off” May flicker for 1-2 seconds tops, but I have never been prevented from flying.
I use AirMap for clearance when needed.

Interestingly I fly with a CS and never ask DJI for clearance. I routinely fly in the fringes of regional and international airport airspace. I have long term clearance for my most commonly used practice area through the FAA DroneZone site (above).
“Can’t Take-off” May flicker for 1-2 seconds tops, but I have never been prevented from flying.
I use AirMap for clearance when needed.
That is interesting being that the CS is DJI'.
I also have a CS, and have never received the message with it, though I don't use it nearly as much as an ipad mini.
If the geo-fencing is not linked to LAANC, why would the CS be exempt? Meaning your clearance through the FAA can't be playing a role.
I think I'll take my CS out to the site I've been referring to and see if I get the Cannot take off message, or not. If not, that could change things.

Last edited:
That is interesting being that the CS is DJI'.
I also have a CS, and have never received the message with it, though I don't use it nearly as much as an ipad mini.
If the geo-fencing is not linked to LAANC, why would the CS be exempt? Meaning your clearance through the FAA can't be playing a role.
I think I'll take my CS out to the site I've been referring to and see if I get the Cannot take off message, or not. If not, that could change things.
I believe it to be the lack of software updating of the CS by DJI.

I believe it to be the lack of software updating of the CS by DJI.
Similar to not letting the NFZ database update on an iPad. Apparently, the NFZ database updates are independent of the FW updates and GO 4. If the NFZ database you are on is working for you, and you know what you are doing, leave it alone!

Similar to not letting the NFZ database update on an iPad. Apparently, the NFZ database updates are independent of the FW updates and GO 4. If the NFZ database you are on is working for you, and you know what you are doing, leave it alone!
It's not, and too late, but thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky