DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Im Going BEYOND VLOS to test my Drone !! Creativity was needed

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Its Simple :! No matter what car, boat , bike your purchase at some point you want to test its abilities and the Purchase Of a New Drone is no Exception.

I use to run VLOS under the FALSE rules that I could use Spotters and I found out the hard way , that this idea of using Spotters is not Legal . UGH !

The Mavic 3 came out , quoting some high numbers. carrying a hefty price tag and I was very tempted to TEST my Drone ability to fly into the Abyss where I can no longer see it .

I usually do this one time with every new Purchase of a Drone in the safest place I can find, and once I am satisfied with the run, I stick to 2500 ft for all further flights.

But this time I did not do the Beyond VLOS flight with the Mavic 3 , and Decided to Try a NEW APPROACH to this dreadful and illegal temptation.

My Creative approach
was to gear up the drone using the Rescue Jacket to provide Comfort and cushion under the drone while Strapped to the Top of the My car and see how long I could keep Transmission Signal and Video Signal though out the journey as it drove far away.

The Big Question was not how far I was able to go , but was it SATISYFING my needs to test the Drones ability to travel far beyond VLOS and I have to say , I can live with it !

For those asking , of course I did the Tests when it was Raining outside is there any other way we fly , lol

Something needed to be done to soothe my tormented SOUL ... 🤪

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the RAIN . Land on the Water, and Test your VLOS safely. lol

2021-12-10_15h33_20.png Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.34.39 PM.pngScreenshot 03-20-2021 17.32.30.jpg2022-05-02_23h42_50.png2021-12-17_15h03_03.pngScreenshot 08-03-2020 20.30.13.jpg

Great idea. But did I miss the recorded distance?

I love the ingenuity but ….wouldn’t the car to which the drone was tethered affect RF signals?

Reactions: Kilrah
Its Simple :! No matter what car, boat , bike your purchase at some point you want to test its abilities and the Purchase Of a New Drone is no Exception.

I use to run VLOS under the FALSE rules that I could use Spotters and I found out the hard way , that this idea of using Spotters is not Legal . UGH !

The Mavic 3 came out , quoting some high numbers. carrying a hefty price tag and I was very tempted to TEST my Drone ability to fly into the Abyss where I can no longer see it .

I usually do this one time with every new Purchase of a Drone in the safest place I can find, and once I am satisfied with the run, I stick to 2500 ft for all further flights.

But this time I did not do the Beyond VLOS flight with the Mavic 3 , and Decided to Try a NEW APPROACH to this dreadful and illegal temptation.

My Creative approach
was to gear up the drone using the Rescue Jacket to provide Comfort and cushion under the drone while Strapped to the Top of the My car and see how long I could keep Transmission Signal and Video Signal though out the journey as it drove far away.

The Big Question was not how far I was able to go , but was it SATISYFING my needs to test the Drones ability to travel far beyond VLOS and I have to say , I can live with it !

For those asking , of course I did the Tests when it was Raining outside is there any other way we fly , lol

Something needed to be done to soothe my tormented SOUL ... 🤪

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the RAIN . Land on the Water, and Test your VLOS safely. lol

View attachment 147684 View attachment 147685View attachment 147686View attachment 147687View attachment 147688View attachment 147689No AGL? Line of site off a car couldn't be too far unless you are in a desert. What distance?

No AGL? Line of site off a car couldn't be too far unless you are in a desert. What distance?

Reactions: mavictk
So we had some issues, one of which I need a taller ladder to place on the upper deck to maintain visual focus on the Car.
Im working on a video to show this carnival of tricks with a 1 person show . Two people would be better .

I was hoping for more rain for the video.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and ride the carnival ride. lol

This is an interesting thought on how far can you fly VLOS. Do you need glasses or not, strobe or not, accounting for acceptable standards of human vision at distances or not vs. the ability for any drone to go way further than we can see at any point and manufactured to go well beyond the ability for VLOS. You can see a night time strobe for 3 statue miles but can you see a drone in the day for 3 statue miles? Its questionable at best since the distance a human eye can make out something that is 12x8inches is like .5-.75 miles. .5mile is 2500 ft, so I know when Im flying fixed wing and I see a plane 2500 feet above me on foreflight, its very small and difficult to find against the sky or ground and that's a small plane that is 20x20ft.
So 3 statue miles is approximately 15000 ft, so running the numbers for vision just based on GA experience is interesting since hypothetically, if you didn't have airspace restrictions or air density restrictions, and flew up to 15000 feet would you see it? same for 15000 feet horizontally. Putting the numbers in perspective is very interesting.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan