DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 8 Plus in Otterbox Symmetry Case

Amarand

Reactions
So...just got my Mavic Air today, and realized that the iPhone 8 Plus in an Otterbox Symmetry case doesn't fit the Mavic controller (issues: the cable won't fit into the stand-off of the case, and the case won't physically fit.)

So, there are options. The first being "don't use a case on my iPhone," which I will never do. :D

The second is to mangle my controller arms, so the Otterbox Symmetry case fits, and then mangle my case so the cable fits properly. This sounds less than ideal.

The third would be to spend money on a mount, but that seems like it would create physical separation between the controller and the phone, which would make the experience less seamless.

And the fourth, and in my mind preferable option, is to find a case which fits both the stock cable, and the arms of the controller.

So...any suggestions for a case which folks know work properly with the stock controller and iPhone cable, along with an iPhone 8+ (I believe the 7+ is almost identical in size, for those with 7+ models)?

Also, do folks have a preference for swapping out the case (I can go buy a new case at Best Buy today, or order a special case from Amazon with two-day shipping), versus ordering a mount?

Thanks!

How about a 5th suggestion? Wedge your phone between the remote controller arms like this:

03.jpg

Reactions: Amarand and Mikero
How about a 5th suggestion? Wedge your phone between the remote controller arms like this:

View attachment 31459

Is that an iPhone 6/7/8 or an iPhone 6+/7+/8+? Here's what I'm looking at with mine:

(Note how the home button lines up with the bottom, versus the center. The home button lines up perfectly with the lightning plug on the phone. So in my case, the cable can't "pass through" the plastic on the bottom of the controller handle.)

20180215_173146169_iOS.jpg

I did a quick comparison in Photoshop. It looks like your phone is bigger than mine, so it's probably not a plus model? (I'm guessing. I tried to scale our controllers so they matched.)

Also, your phone can accept the cable because of where your home button/lightning connector lines up with the center of the handle. No matter how much I wiggle/jiggle mine, it's too tall, and aligns with the bottom of the handle, where there's solid plastic. (See the right image in the tryptic.)

Any other suggestions? I'm open to try anything non-destructive.

Comparison.png

I would probably have enough room between the plastic and my case to fit a slightly longer L-shaped cable. But I think it needs to be a little longer so it will clear the case. Hmm....

Last edited:
I would probably have enough room between the plastic and my case to fit a slightly longer L-shaped cable. But I think it needs to be a little longer so it will clear the case. Hmm....

Any update on what you did?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54