DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it really true that you can lazily fly your Mavic from inside your warm car?

It's 100% true, I just came back from a flight.
-5*C outside, I was flying for about an hour from inside a car. Some tips:
- Make sure you more or less fly in the direction your front window is facing
- Place Mavic a few meters from the car as it confuses compass
- Don't fly directly over the car
(roof is blocking the signal)
- Make sure the batteries are warm when you start the drone

Reactions: w4t3r
I went to NH for new years, it was extremely cold and I didn't want to give up the ability to fly and film the great scenery in New Hampshire. IMO some of the best scenery on the east cost.

I flew in -10F to -12F with a much lower wind chill at around 25mph. I flew outside until my fingers were unable to move/numb, once I warmed up I went back out and my phone was too cold. Then moved to inside my car. I received compass errors when taking off, but other than that I had no problems.

I've seen guys take their dogs for a walk while they drive in the comfort of their car, but driving along, giving the Mavic exercise, cracks me up. I can't have mine follow me to work (physician), but it could follow me to get gas, and hover until my tank is full. Perhaps carry some donuts from Tim Horton's and have them waiting when I get home.

And opening the door of my home and sending my little Mavic out into the Kelvin weather by itself would make me feel less than a man.

I appreciate the wise advice, because I am a cheapskate and do not want to buy a replacement Mavic, but also appreciate the comments from the guys pushing the envelope!

I too fly often from inside both my car and my house without serious issues. I live in the Columbia River Gorge and we don't get severe cold much, but I like sitting down to fly and I like the fact that I don't need a hood in order to see my iPad mini's display well which is required outside in almost any good photogenic conditions.

I have noticed that if I go to the other side of the house for example or out too far, say beyond 3000', the signal strength is lower but the Mavic just goes slower at any given stick position until I clear the building or get closer.

I do it with my Phantom. I have external antennas that have long leads that go inside the car and connect to the controller.
DJI_0019.JPG

Reactions: w4t3r
kinda wondering if a small flex pcb heater element could be hooked up to the battery terminals and some resistors put on it to limit the draw would work for colder temps....
sorta the same way the inspire 2 heater works i believe

I have flown in 10F while sitting in my car. Range is reduced a bit for sure but was able to get out 2500-3000ft. If I stood outside at 15F with remote and iPhone 7+. The Mavic flew fine and maintained about 23C battery temp. BUT after about 7 minutes the iPhone shut itself off and I had to fly back using the remote only. iPhone shuts down automatically if temp gets too low to prevent battery damage.

If it doesn't snow today my wife is going cross country skiing and I'm going to try out one of the tracking modes from the truck..

I've been thinking about keeping an eye on the wife too... let us know how that turns out. :rolleyes:

It's possible! I've literally flown an Inspire from inside a speeding, swerving, and screeching to a halt police car on set for this music video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002