DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

This is seriously like talking to my freaking kids. Here is what you do, go into your iPhone (not sure on Android products), settings/iTunes & App Store and make sure you turn off automatic downloads of Apps. Then wait until the new DJI GO 4 app is released and then take your Mavic up for a flight. I'll bet when you open the App you will continue to get the same message about a new APP being released because you didn't upgrade yet, and you will continue to get that message until you do. I will also bet your Mavic will still function just as it does today. Now "IF" you upgrade to the new DJI GO 4 or DJI GO apps then you WILL have to agree to the new TOS. Don't upgrade and you can continue to fly your Mavic just like you purchased it. To play devils advocate, when you say they are pulling a bait and switch, BS, who says they have to give you new features through firmware and App updates? If you never took a firmware update your Mavic is exactly what they sold you. Don't cry because you want them to keep updating your Mavic with new features through firmware and App updates but you don't want to agree to their Terms of Service if you choose to take the upgrade. Take it, don't take it, it's up to you. I get messages saying I must upgrade my firmware for weeks at a time and I never do. I always wait to hear the feedback on the update first. I've had items (Wink Hub) bricked in the past due to jumping on a new firmware update the day it came out only to find out the firmware had major flaws. We all expect the latest and greatest and we want it free without restrictions. Well kids I'm a little older and I grew up in a world where every kid didn't get a trophy, you won or you lost and if you acted up in school you got your %ss beat with a paddle with holes in it by a VP with the nickname "Beater". Society today is chalked full of a generation that has never been told no and if you were you threw a temper tantrum or sued someone until you got your way. Go out and fly your Mavic and continue taking great videos of the great country you live in wherever that may be. There are so many beautiful places in this world we can all share due to this great little drone we have all come to love so go out shoot some videos calm down until we get a look behind the curtain when the App is released. GO FLY!

This is seriously like talking to my freaking kids. Here is what you do, go into your iPhone (not sure on Android products), settings/iTunes & App Store and make sure you turn off automatic downloads of Apps. Then wait until the new DJI GO 4 app is released and then take your Mavic up for a flight. I'll bet when you open the App you will continue to get the same message about a new APP being released because you didn't upgrade yet, and you will continue to get that message until you do. I will also bet your Mavic will still function just as it does today. Now "IF" you upgrade to the new DJI GO 4 or DJI GO apps then you WILL have to agree to the new TOS. Don't upgrade and you can continue to fly your Mavic just like you purchased it. To play devils advocate, when you say they are pulling a bait and switch, BS, who says they have to give you new features through firmware and App updates? If you never took a firmware update your Mavic is exactly what they sold you. Don't cry because you want them to keep updating your Mavic with new features through firmware and App updates but you don't want to agree to their Terms of Service if you choose to take the upgrade. Take it, don't take it, it's up to you. I get messages saying I must upgrade my firmware for weeks at a time and I never do. I always wait to hear the feedback on the update first. I've had items (Wink Hub) bricked in the past due to jumping on a new firmware update the day it came out only to find out the firmware had major flaws. We all expect the latest and greatest and we want it free without restrictions. Well kids I'm a little older and I grew up in a world where every kid didn't get a trophy, you won or you lost and if you acted up in school you got your %ss beat with a paddle with holes in it by a VP with the nickname "Beater". Society today is chalked full of a generation that has never been told no and if you were you threw a temper tantrum or sued someone until you got your way. Go out and fly your Mavic and continue taking great videos of the great country you live in wherever that may be. There are so many beautiful places in this world we can all share due to this great little drone we have all come to love so go out shoot some videos calm down until we get a look behind the curtain when the App is released. GO FLY!
touche

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Let me ask you all this... what's arguing here solving? Feel better? Feel angry?

Here's the truth- if this were a car, boat or airplane, no one would think twice about a mandatory, free update that will not do anything to the daily functions of you're device or whatever.

Throughout history companies have done things just like this... they have the right to push updates as needed to add, or change functions. For the sake of innovation or safety. Look at Apple! You can't downgrade unless you save your SHSH BLOBS. Which isn't condoned by Apple.

They have nothing to gain by limiting height or distances or features! They have everything to gain from people saying "wow that didn't change anything". They will change very little. Maybe it adds some cool feature we haven't even thought of yet? Why would they do anything to change the drone? They don't have a law coming that says they have too? They are seeing deregulation in the [emoji631] and they in general have always allowed their drones to do whatever the user wanted. That's never going to change.

They might be building a way to restrict into their FW in anticipation of new laws. Who knows. Who cares? If the restrictions come it will be at the hands of the Government.

My understanding is this, this will ensure that their NFZ warnings and maps line up with your area. You guys remember reading the posts about "NFZ won't let me fly, but I'm not in a NFZ?".. people had issues with the app saying one thing and the reality being different. This update is ensure that the warnings are being applied accurately and not restricting a flight in error.

Everyone calm down, don't shut the internet off because eventually your going to have to update. So just do it, relax and fly.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Let me ask you all this... what's arguing here solving? Feel better? Feel angry?

Here's the truth- if this were a car, boat or airplane, no one would think twice about a mandatory, free update that will not do anything to the daily functions of you're device or whatever.

Throughout history companies have done things just like this... they have the right to push updates as needed to add, or change functions. For the sake of innovation or safety. Look at Apple! You can't downgrade unless you save your SHSH BLOBS. Which isn't condoned by Apple.

They have nothing to gain by limiting height or distances or features! They have everything to gain from people saying "wow that didn't change anything". They will change very little. Maybe it adds some cool feature we haven't even thought of yet? Why would they do anything to change the drone? They don't have a law coming that says they have too? They are seeing deregulation in the [emoji631] and they in general have always allowed their drones to do whatever the user wanted. That's never going to change.

They might be building a way to restrict into their FW in anticipation of new laws. Who knows. Who cares? If the restrictions come it will be at the hands of the Government.

My understanding is this, this will ensure that their NFZ warnings and maps line up with your area. You guys remember reading the posts about "NFZ won't let me fly, but I'm not in a NFZ?".. people had issues with the app saying one thing and the reality being different. This update is ensure that the warnings are being applied accurately and not restricting a flight in error.

Everyone calm down, don't shut the internet off because eventually your going to have to update. So just do it, relax and fly.
Signed, respectfully, your local DJI Policy Enforcement Agent.

Words.....

The issue here, MisterMavic, is not people demanding new features. It is now a change in how the product that you previously purchased, under a DIFFERENT ToS will now act after a firmware update.

The issue is with everyone saying "disable automatic this or that" is DJI knows exactly how that will go. Do you plan on keeping your phone at the same state for the rest of the life of your Mavic? What happens when iOS 11 comes out and the app turns into an unstable mess? What happens when you damage your phone, it has to be swapped and you restore (hint UNLESS you walk that fine line of doing iOS backups to your PC it is simply going to install the latest version of the app). What about when you upgrade the phone?

None of the scenarios that are posted here about staying at an app level you want are valid in many cases. The fact is, there is a massive change coming to a product we already paid for that has the ability to reduce the functionality of the device we already paid for. Arguing "just put it in airplane mode" is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard, that is just not realistic for likely 99% of drone owners.

Eventually, as others have stated here, the firmware will end up on the device because you have to tip toe and be extremely cautious to NOT install the app upgrade. What happens if your drone needs repair? As others have stated the general policy is to flash the latest firmware before sending it back out. There are just too many scenarios at this point in time in which this upgrade WILL be forced. This could all turn into nothing, and I hope that is the case but if there is a single downside to this upgrade that is a bait and switch. IF ... IF we have to re-register every so often, that is a MASSIVE downside as that now forces you to have a cellular connection. The fact that many are forced out into the countryside to fly because of regulations means that you're much more likely to fly in a place without signal. What happens if you forget to sign in, find out "oh there's this arbitrary requirement here to sign in and I forgot to do it" and you have no cellular signal?

Again, hopefully this is all for nothing but the issue is in order to find that out SOMEONE has to upgrade and possibly be forced into a position they do not want to be in.

Not taking a huge company's BS is going to get drones banned? Great logic. What should he do if he feels it's wrong? Just sit back and take it?

It's people like you who actually make things worse by letting big money corporations and government walk all over you and tell you how things will be done. Some people don't hold that position and actually still believe in their rights as a consumer and citizen.

I bet you're someone who believes in "free speech zones" too and are perfectly ok with it.

Maybe companies like Apple and DJI should determine all our laws as they're a huge companies and know what's best for us little idiots that buy all their toys to keep ourselves busy and happy so we don't notice our right going out the window.

Don't complain to loudly MacPap, you'll get our toys banned! Great logic.

If only people put as much energy in appeasing every rule the FAA, DJI, and any other regulatory entities as they would standing up for their rights, we would not have idiotic regulations and companies that think they can do what they wish.

No. I'll update, I'll register (again) and I'll continue to fly just like I always have done.

You guys can debate the wickedness of DJI until the cows come home. I'm going to continue enjoying my hobby.

Why don't you all just sell your Mavic and buy something else because all everybody does here is ***** about DJI.

Reactions: newnan3
Based on the original post..... This would follow then, that if DJI ADD new features to the system, that were not there when you initially purchased, then you are going to call up DJI and pay them more money as its beyond the original specification???

I dont think so!!
No but if they'd ask fo money i' d consider that a new deal. But they don't.

"The issue is with everyone saying "disable automatic this or that" is DJI knows exactly how that will go. Do you plan on keeping your phone at the same state for the rest of the life of your Mavic? What happens when iOS 11 comes out and the app turns into an unstable mess? What happens when you damage your phone, it has to be swapped and you restore (hint UNLESS you walk that fine line of doing iOS backups to your PC it is simply going to install the latest version of the app). What about when you upgrade the phone?"

Your talking Apple here, with an Android you simply load the .apk file of the app version you want which is, and will still be readily available. I have saved all versions from apkmirror. I guess this is one of the benefits of Android. The Mavic firmware does not need to change if it's stable. Apple... yeah, hard work for a work-around....

The drone that you are flying is no longer your property. You lease it (like software) and are subject to DJI's user agreement. They are moving closer and closer to bricking devices I think the company is walking the line between excessive controls and losing their customers.

Reactions: MacPap
With respect to this "change of deal" that you speak of, you surely agreed to the "DJI Go App Terms of Use" given your screenshot of the mentioned app.

As such I suggest you should have another read of the "DJI Go App Terms of Use", specifically Section 8: Modification of these Terms. (DJI Go App Terms of Use)

"
Modification of these Terms.
We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change these Terms on a going-forward basis at any time. Please check these Terms periodically for changes. Modified Terms of Use are effective upon its publication. If we make material changes to the Terms, we will attempt to provide you reasonable notice before such changes become effective. By continuing using the Service, you agree to be bound by the updated, amended, or modified Terms. If you do not agree to be bound by the modified Terms, you must immediately cease your use of the Service. Disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the version of these Terms that was in effect at the time the dispute arose.
"

And, for your reference

Section 7: Privacy Policy; Additional Terms
"
Additional Terms. Your use of the Service is subject to all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Service (the “Additional Terms”), such as end-user license agreements for any downloadable software applications, or rules that applicable to a particular feature or content on the Service, subject to Section 8 below. All Additional Terms are incorporated by this reference into and made a part of these Terms.
"

The terms of use are no different than any other company, especially software, even US companies. Everyone who purchased a Mavic, agreed to the terms of use, so why are people complaining or worried.
No one was forced to purchase from DJI, or any other company.
People need to stop looking for blame; they made the decision to purchase under the agreements by their own free will.

Reactions: geigy
... they made the decision to purchase under the agreements by their own free will.
At the time!!!! In that agreement it never said that in the future DJI has the right stop supporting the product unless we agree to install a firmware that will limit its capabilities ... or did we?

You mean they do NOT flash the firmware to its latest version when repairing a drone?
I'm not going to dig back through it, but it stated something to the effect of "if possible your drone will be returned with the firmware it was running."

However, it seems most folks just get a replacement. My comment was only in regards to the stated policy, not what actually happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM