DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

A lot of this from DJI regarding re logging in and the TOS is linked with the release of the Spark.
I believe when you are updating the App it includes the Spark and its operations.
New TOS to reflect the added Drone and its features, also trying to bring up to date the ever increasing NFZ around the world. An immense job in itself.

well people you make me think that you own shares of DJI....
Why? Because we're honest about what we agree to?

If you think I approve of the way DJI is doing this, think again. Still, I hold no ill will toward DJI for simply doing what they told me they might do as a condition of my licensing their software.

Getting angry with the other party to a contract for simply living up to it seems rather juvenile and antisocial. Take a lesson from this and start reading that which you agree to.

If you want a drone without those terms and conditions, build one.

so you say that you buy a product and you are ok that the producer could eventually turn it to a brick hmm. ok....
Once again: No one agreed to let DJI turn their Mavic into a brick, nor does DJI have the ability to without your permission, consent, and active participation in bricking it.

When download and install the firmware containing the "brick-your-drone" code, you agreed to hold harmless DJI for anything bad that happens, including your drone becoming completely nonfunctional.

Then, after agreeing to this, YOU go and install version Brick-o-matic -- that's right, you, not DJI, and that's after being fully informed that there is risk, and your drone may brick, too bad, not DJI's problem, blah blah blah (you did read the T&C you pressed AGREE to, right?).

So, are you basically one of those completely unreliable, untrustworthy people that will agree to things with no intention of living up to your word? Your word means nothing?

That's why we have written documents and courts. And pressing AGREE to the T&C counts as a "written document with your signature" in court for these purposes.

It stated in the original TOS they can change the terms for whatever reason. Nobody seemed to have a problem agreeing to it then. Now that they are supposedly changing the terms everyone is ready to riot. I don't get it. I'm not saying it is a good company practice. If the conspiracy theories turn out to be true it will open a floodgate of customers abandoning DJI. I really don't see DJI or any company committing suicide like this.

It stated in the original TOS they can change the terms for whatever reason. Nobody seemed to have a problem agreeing to it then. Now that they are supposedly changing the terms everyone is ready to riot. I don't get it.
There's a legal term for it: Fraud.

It stated in the original TOS they can change the terms for whatever reason. Nobody seemed to have a problem agreeing to it then. Now that they are supposedly changing the terms everyone is ready to riot. I don't get it. I'm not saying it is a good company practice. If the conspiracy theories turn out to be true it will open a floodgate of customers abandoning DJI. I really don't see DJI or any company committing suicide like this.
With all your verbose posturing, you never answer their central question, which is: Are you ok with a company who can change your paid in full product when and how they see fit after purchase to ensure you concead to their will?

Reactions: MacPap and peros550
Nobody seemed to have a problem agreeing to it then.

You seem to be drawing conclusions based on people's forced action to click "I agree" like they truly wanted to agreed on that TOS. They had no other choice! But I bet you already know this.

That is also the force behind this "paranoia" that you seem to not understand.

Since some people understand that they have been forced to agree (like TOS saying DJI can do whatever they want with the Mavic), then why re-login? Is there a new TOS? Updated? In which way? Are customers now again forced to provide more rights to DJI in regards to their products?

If DJI was to force a new TOS with a threat of crippling your Drone if you would not press the "I Agree" button, would you naively believe that new TOS would be for the customer's benefit?

Again, all these are just a speculation. Maybe the TOS hasn't changed at all. But all these misinformation from DJI side and threats that without re-login the drone will be crippled is terrible at best.

You seem to be drawing conclusions based on people's forced action to click "I agree" like they truly wanted to agreed on that TOS. They had no other choice! But I bet you already know this.

That is also the force behind this "paranoia" that you seem to not understand.

Since some people understand that they have been forced to agree (like TOS saying DJI can do whatever they want with the Mavic), then why re-login? Is there a new TOS? Updated? In which way? Are customers now again forced to provide more rights to DJI in regards to their products?

If DJI was to force a new TOS with a threat of crippling your Drone if you would not press the "I Agree" button, would you naively believe that new TOS would be for the customer's benefit?

Again, all these are just a speculation. Maybe the TOS hasn't changed at all. But all these misinformation from DJI side and threats that without re-login the drone will be crippled is terrible at best.
They had no other choice? Did someone hold a gun to their head and force them to use this? There are other drones out there. And no I'm not ok with any company forcing their will on people like this. But what is their "will? DJI announces an update and suddenly everyone is talking about broadcasting this and tracking that and their Mavics becoming a paperweight and new evil TOS and countdown timers and the sun not coming out tomorrow. Based on what? Nobody even knows what was in the first TOS because nobody even read it. Yet everyone is going nuts over this one that may not have even changed. And people seem convinced this update will allow bricking and restrictions of the drone at DJI's will. Where are the people with any these claims even getting this information? Its absolutely ridiculous. Ill I'm asking is that if people want to come here and stoke the fire with their preposterous claims then back it up and provide proof.

Bed wetters. Stop crying and start flying, haha.

DJI is a privately held company, so those of you making accusations of owning stock, there are no shares to be had. Unless you own Apple stock that is.

Apple does own 1/3 of DJI, and the quality of the software and hardware reflects that. Everything from unboxing to the feel of the hardware and software mimics Apple's focus on a quality experience.

OK, Android is given a back seat, but it has a seat in the DJI car. Ok, the trunk haha.. (And android KitKat is riding in the Mavic itself.)

The public face of DJI, and their handling of customers also reflects Apple's attitude that their customers are by and large fans who will support them, and deservedly so. It makes DJI appear be a little high-handed to those who are skeptical. But that's how Apple rolls, and how DJI rolls.

Our drones rule. There is nothing better than DJI right now. They are excellent, and at the same time far from perfect.

Reactions: Clinton1
I'm asking is that if people want to come here and stoke the fire with their preposterous claims then back it up and provide proof.

i really start to believe you are trolling. Evidence of what DJI has announced , and their threats of what will happen if somebody proceeds to update is here :

DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates

They say it clearly: "Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter" unless of course you re-login.

Do they leave you the option to not log in? No
Did they use any gun ? No

Try to think out of the box.
All the best

Reactions: MacPap
LOL Why? Because I'm trying to understand everyone's unwarranted paranoia?

No because you are ok with the fact that dji is consciously restricting the abilities of a product you bought which was advertised to be able to do things it wont be able to in the future. If you do not understand that and you dont see it then i do not see what else i can say without waisting my time

Last edited:
Updated and flown, all good, no issues. V4.10 firm 0.700. Android. NFZ warning yellow in my garden warning advice came up, clicked two boxes and accepted responsibilty, happy flying.

I read through this whole thread from the beginning it started. Very interesting stuff and opinions. For me, i never had a worry about what was in the pipe line. My app updated itself, because i am always logged into my account. Checked everything this morning, and all is the same, NFZ didnt change from the previous times i flew. Havent gone out flying yet, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.We are all different, and one could see it in the responses to how one interpret the given information. That is ok, i read the outgoing PR from Dji, and i understood it how it was intended. I just feel, if one is not happy with anything that are being put out, you can always sell your stuff, and get something different. I am still as free today, as the day i was born, that will never change for me. Go out flying, and enjoy the experience :)

Reactions: Mavic 57
Update and it flys just like it did when I bought it. The sky didn't fall in and I didn't even where a tin foil hat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Once again: No one agreed to let DJI turn their Mavic into a brick, nor does DJI have the ability to without your permission, consent, and active participation in bricking it.

When download and install the firmware containing the "brick-your-drone" code, you agreed to hold harmless DJI for anything bad that happens, including your drone becoming completely nonfunctional.

Then, after agreeing to this, YOU go and install version Brick-o-matic -- that's right, you, not DJI, and that's after being fully informed that there is risk, and your drone may brick, too bad, not DJI's problem, blah blah blah (you did read the T&C you pressed AGREE to, right?).

So, are you basically one of those completely unreliable, untrustworthy people that will agree to things with no intention of living up to your word? Your word means nothing?

That's why we have written documents and courts. And pressing AGREE to the T&C counts as a "written document with your signature" in court for these purposes.
You keep missing the point. When someone bought the mavic in the first place, due to software bugs, he had to update the software. Now the majority of people, claim they have problems on android. Meaning that the problems are not solved.
At the same time DJI anounces a new software that will at some point in the future solve the problems. BUT the owner of the mavic has to agree to get less performance on his bird, than it had when he initially bought it. That in my book is extortion. If you do not see this than I am sorry I cant help....

Last edited:
now the majority of people claim they have problems on android
I lost two android devices to updates.
Ended up buying an iPad since the DJI developers seem to be apple fan boys I figured that was the logical upgrade path. That particular Go4 upgrade was forced. I couldn't fly till Go4 was upgraded. Then I couldn't fly because my phone & tablet were no longer compatible whereas prior to the update everything worked fine.

you keep missing the point. Whne someone bought the mavic in the frst place due to software bugs he had to update the software. now the majority of people claim they have problems on android. Meaning that the problems ar enot solved. At the same time DJI anounces a new software that will at some point in the future solve the problems BUT the owner of the mavic has to agree to get less performance on his bird than it had when he initially bought it. that in my book is extortion. If you do not see this than I am sorry I cant help....
Here it is again. Another claim with no proof. Where do you agree to less performance? If you follow the directions then there is no less performance. It will be unlocked and perform as it always had. You make it sound like this upgrade will limit the performance no matter what. Just click agree without reading anything just like you did before and it will be fine. It may be a ****** deal and no I don't like it but it wont stop me from using it. If you have so much of a problem then sell it and build your own with your own software in it. It seems like this is the way of the world now and unfortunately it doesn't look like it will change. How much software is out now that used to be a one time purchase but now you have to pay every year to use it? As much as it sucks if you don't like the product then don't use it. And by the way, I haven't updated mine since I bought it. I have no software bugs. Mine works perfectly. It seems the ones that updated have bugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost two android devices to updates.
Ended up buying an iPad since the DJI developers seem to be apple fan boys I figured that was the logical upgrade path. That particular Go4 upgrade was forced. I couldn't fly till Go4 was upgraded. Then I couldn't fly because my phone & tablet were no longer compatible whereas prior to the update everything worked fine.
Exactly my point. But some people just don't get it....

There looks like some members on here that have updated and followed the re activation steps and everything is working fine. No restrictions. There are some who did not update that also say its still working fine. No restrictions. I saw the update is available on my phone this morning. I chose not to update. Took it out this morning and it flew like it always had. No restrictions. Instead of all the bickering over all this nonsense how about taking up a problem with DJI that has actual facts behind it. Like the problems all the Android users are having with their software.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead