DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

MacPap

Reactions
Ok I have a question that is bothering me for some time now...

When I ordered my Mavic I did so evaluating its abilities and reading and watching all the promotional videos of the company regarding its performance.

Now after a couple o months DJI asks for a forced firmware update that could restrict the Mavic even more and all that without my consent....

So here is the question. Can DJI do that? Take away abilities for which I have payed and which were decisive in my initial decision to go for the Mavic? Can they simply say "if you do not do what i say ill cripple the product you bought"?
Can they really legally change a product to something inferior to what I bought and get away with it?

Or is there a way to get them to refund me (and all users for that matter) the difference in dollars between the Mavic and a drone that can simply fly 50m away 30m up and has no cam costing a couple of bucks?

Kostas

As stated on other threads there is nowhere I can find that states you HAVE TO update. From everything I have seen your Mavic will be restricted IF you update and then IF you dont re activate. There should be no restriction if you do not update.

Reactions: Clinton1
Now after a couple o months DJI asks for a forced firmware update that could restrict the Mavic even more and all that without my consent
All DJI GO and firmware updates are optional. You can keep everything as-is now and continue to run offline forever if you'd like.

All DJI GO and firmware updates are optional. You can keep everything as-is now and continue to run offline forever if you'd like.
Not this one. ANd what I can do to evade what DJI does is not the issue here. The issue being "IS what DJI does legal"?

Thats not the issue here. The issue is "IS what DJI does legal"
As someone else stated in a different thread, I'm afraid we already agreed to this being legal, at the first activation, but it was written in very, very small letters, things which we usually do not read carefully.

Reactions: genesimmons
Not this one
Yes, this one too.

The issue being "IS what DJI does legal"?
Yes, it's legal. Nobody forced you to buy their products. You can switch to another manufacturer at the drop of a hat if you choose. And if you just want to stay with what you have right now, you don't have to continue to install new DJI GO and firmware updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMo
Fly Offline? We always fly offline unless you're doing live video feed, and almost nobody does that.

Reactions: newguy
Yes, it's legal. Nobody forced you to buy their products. You can switch to another manufacturer at the drop of a hat if you choose.
I am afraid you do not understand what it means to advertise something and than selling something else. At least in civilised countries

Besides that message in the DJI go app I also got (like many I guess) the following email

Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team

Everyone got pretty mich exactly what was advertised. DJI now offering and optional update that changes function is legal. If you like to keep your product in the way you bought it, just do so.

Reactions: Matchlock
You cant be forced to accept terms of service. You agreed to the original tos when you first activated the Mavic and as a result it flew unrestricted. As part of the new update there is a new tos to agree to. If you dont agree it is restricted. But its not being forced on anyone. If you dont update you are effectively operating on the original tos you agreed to and therefore your Mavic will not be restricted.

Reactions: Glen and Flycaster
I agree with Nightowel702 I think it only restricts your flight altitude/distance if you update and then don't re activated. -CF
It still is a change of deal without my consent AFTER the deal was concluded... No?

Reactions: reckless
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000