DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Little Beast

Chaosrider

Reactions
This is my very first drone, Little Beast, which I got in 2009 +/- a year.

About 2 -3 minutes of flight time after an hour of charging. Charger and motor still work, tail rotor control linkage needs to be tightened.

I have completely forgotten the name of the model or manufacturer. I may or may not have the manual somewhere in my Raiders of the Lost Ark filing system.

Now if any of you started with this one, and then moved on to a Snaptain S5C, that would be seriously creepy...

;-)

MM

This is my very first drone, Little Beast, which I got in 2009 +/- a year.

About 2 -3 minutes of flight time after an hour of charging. Charger and motor still work, tail rotor control linkage needs to be tightened.

I have completely forgotten the name of the model or manufacturer. I may or may not have the manual somewhere in my Raiders of the Lost Ark filing system.

Now if any of you started with this one, and then moved on to a Snaptain S5C, that would be seriously creepy...

;-)

MM
Yes multiple little ones got me hooked,then brought a working nitro Robbie Mosquito,then discovered drones and hooked for life,this did attempt to take me head off on start up one time due to servo on throttle linkage bein reversed so I dismantled it , might rebuild one day just sold another KDS450 which are good fun,,my little beast,,, 20220411_084829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Started out with these, but kept losing them in the wind. Figured a quad would have more of a fighting chance in the wind, and migrated to drones.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    675.4 KB · Views: 11
Yes multiple little ones got me hooked,then brought a working nitro Robbie Mosquito,then discovered drones and hooked for life,this did attempt to take me head off on start up one time due to servo on throttle linkage bein reversed so I dismantled it , might rebuild one day just sold another KDS450 which are good fun,,my little beast,,, View attachment 146581
Not so little, perhaps. What's the length of that beast, tip-to-tail?

Thx!

MM

Not so little, perhaps. What's the length of that beast, tip-to-tail?

Thx!

MM
Just over 1100 long and main rotor diameter 1200,run a OS35 nitro motor,very old school with no safety features and some rotor wash to be proud of,insanely dangerous but thrilling,its slightly longer now since I couldn't find right size belt to run down the boom to tail rotor,,I had to stand on this tail to prevent nasty accident,picture for example ,mine same but black canopy 20220413_184904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just over 1100 long and main rotor diameter 1200,run a OS35 nitro motor,very old school with no safety features and some rotor wash to be proud of,insanely dangerous but thrilling,its slightly longer now since I couldn't find right size belt to run down the boom to tail rotor,,I had to stand on this tail to prevent nasty accident,picture for example ,mine same but black canopy View attachment 146670
Sorry, 1100/1200...what unit?

Thx,

MM

Here's how I started out, a gas powered classic U-Control airplane, I was around 12. I could easily refuel and spin around and around in my backyard flying that thing for hours.

Talk about limited... Elevator control... that's it!

Here's how I started out, a gas powered classic U-Control airplane, I was around 12. I could easily refuel and spin around and around in my backyard flying that thing for hours.

Talk about limited... Elevator control... that's it!

Fascinating!

I never got into RC airplanes. When I was 12, I discovered model rockets. I started my first business...mowing lawns...to get money to buy my model rockets stuff. About 6 months later I got a paper route, which was a huge step up.

As a result of my droning I've gotten interested in RC aircraft as well. I joined the AMA when I started droning, but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone here know of any organized or semi-organized RC aircraft events near Carson City, Nevada? Or if you have one in this area, and you'd be willing to give me a demo, that would be great!

Do RC airplanes have cameras these days?

Thx!

MM

Yes on the cameras, you can do FPV, but it's not the ready-to-fly market that drones is.

Given where you are, it's ideal for slope soaring. I'd suggest considering an RC glider. You'd be able to stay up until you got bored, and you won't soaring around those canyons.

My first RC aircraft was a Gentle Lady:

2359.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Agreat project... Fun to build!

Anyone here know of any organized or semi-organized RC aircraft events near Carson City, Nevada? Or if you have one in this area, and you'd be willing to give me a demo, that would be great!
My daughter lives in Tahoe, and while I don’t have an RC plane, I'd love to come over there and get together for a coupla bottles of whiskey and then some flying over COSTCO.

Or maybe we just have some fun flying in the canyons, jawing a bit, and having a beer afterwards.

That would be okay too 🙂

Yes on the cameras, you can do FPV, but it's not the ready-to-fly market that drones is.

Given where you are, it's ideal for slope soaring. I'd suggest considering an RC glider. You'd be able to stay up until you got bored, and you won't soaring around those canyons.

My first RC aircraft was a Gentle Lady:

2359.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Agreat project... Fun to build!
Wow, that's an interesting thought! The driveway is long enough (about 100 ft) that it could certainly serve as a runway. It's usually a crosswind runway, though.

I'd need a klutz-kit to do this, something that would involve just snapping big pieces into position. I'm not sure those even exist.

But it's unlikely this image will leave my brain today!

Thx,

TCS

My daughter lives in Tahoe, and while I don’t have an RC plane, I'd love to come over there and get together for a coupla bottles of whiskey and then some flying over COSTCO.

Or maybe we just have some fun flying in the canyons, jawing a bit, and having a beer afterwards.

That would be okay too 🙂
We can arrange just such a trip for you to the Savage Aerodrome!

You do have the fly-drink sequence inverted, however...

:cool:

I've just barely gotten over a mile down the canyon, and COSTCO is about 3 miles away. You might be able to get down there and still have control, if you blew off both the VLOS requirement and the 400 ft AGL limit, but if you did that, I'd have to ban you from the range...

;-)

The weather forecast shows rotten for the next 2 weeks or so. I'm talking with an OP off-forum about setting up a fly-date in early May sometime. If that works for you...what dates might be good? I want to keep it to Sat or Sun so that it would be more generally available.

Awesome!

1649872658446.png

MM

I'm retired and flexible. And my daughter needs a visit.
How about Saturday, May 7th? I've sort of designated the first Saturday of every month as "drone day" among the people I know.

I'd open the range at 11 AM, with flying available until a final touchdown at 3 PM. Then, those who are interested can go with me to the Overland Restaurant and Pub, where I go for an early dinner every Saturday.

Everyone who's going to be in this area at that time is invited! A few simple rules:

1) Email RSVP is required, [email protected]
2) A TRUST certificate is required. It's not just the law, it's a good idea.
3) No reckless flying. Anyone who's seen my vids knows that I don't require timid, but keep it sane.
4) Finally, of course, no alcohol or drugs. Adult beverages will be available at the Overland after the flying is done.

Who knows? This might be fun!

:)

MM

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying