DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost: Mavic Pro - Leucadia/Encinitas CA

rbonamico

Reactions
Lost my Mavic Pro last Saturday April 14th at Beacons Beach in Leucadia. It was a little confusing as to how I could not see the thing - later on video footage revealed that I landed it a little south of the Beacons Entrance past the wall. I think that it was far enough away to avoid the receding high tide.

I know exactly where it ended up now - but somebody must have grabbed it. Any idea if there is a way to report the serial number in case someone tries to buy a remote and use it?

I read one post that said DJI didn’t provide a stolen drone database.

The battery may have popped out when it hit. Did you still have GPS signal when you first approached it? I recovered mine about a mile from the home point but it was a controlled landing. I simply followed the GO-4 app right to it.

If someone picked it up, that’s unfortunate. It would be nice if they turned it into the local authorities.

Aside from looking on Airdata to see what exactly happened, I’m afraid I’m not much help... sorry

The answer to the remote is yes. All they have to do is buy a $200 remote on eBay, bind it to the drone, and they are off. Are there many Mavic’s in the area. Anyone with their own drown wouldn’t mind showing you their serial number. If they scrape it off, the drone still emits an ID

They don't need to buy a remote if they put it in WiFi mode.

Wow I wasn’t aware of this. What you’re saying is they can use a phone or tablet as the remote when connected to WiFi?

What would be great is that DJI allow pilots to somehow see the serial number of drones flying around us and let us keep track of stolen drones. From my understanding, in the US, the FAA is requiring all drone manufactures to add something similar to a transponder to their drones so the FAA can keep track of drone traffic.

Having the ability to see a serial number (no names, just a number) gflying near my position could prove benificial in many ways. Not only could I check the number against a stolen drone database, but the adverse would be possibly meeting legit drone pilots in my area.

I know, pie in the sky, right

Last edited:
Wow I wasn’t aware of this. What you’re saying is they can use a phone or tablet as the remote when connected to WiFi?

That's because you never read the manual nor wondered what that switch which says "Wi-Fi" or "RC" does:
Page 48 and 49. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf

What would be great is that DJI allow pilots to somehow see the serial number of drones flying around us and let us keep track of stolen drones. From my understanding, in the US, the FAA is requiring all drone manufactures to add something similar to a transponder to their drones so the FAA can keep track of drone traffic.

Having the ability to see a serial number (no names, just a number) gflying near my position could prove benificial in many ways. Not only could I check the number against a stolen drone database, but the adverse would be possibly meeting legit drone pilots in my area.

I know, pie in the sky, right

Just no.

DJI already have the technology to track but that should only be available to authorities and not every person.
DJI Unveils Technology To Identify And Track Airborne Drones

If you want to meet other drone pilots, join a drone group on Meetup.com - don't pester them when they are trying to land.

I don't think video is the best gauge on exactly where the landed. If you have GPS coordinates, it would be more accurate.
It's a shame if there was someone that was that opportunistic to nick someones drone so quickly after it landed. Did it ran out of battery as it land? I mean, if it landed with enough battery, you could see if the location was moving, as if someone picked it up, or if the video was on, see someone approach or it was being moved before it was turned off.
Alternatively, if you had landed prior to low battery, and land without actually shutting the motors (motors idling), when low battery is reached, it might RTH and rise.
You left out a lot of details, we are just making assumptions on what happened. If you just want to know if someone can just nick your drone and use it, yes. Will DJI help you track it down, no. The thief could also sell for parts, if he/she wasn't interested in keeping the drone for himself/herself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie