DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 not going farther than 1km in fairly congested wifi area

Yes it's very likely to require jailbreak, at least the gps spoofing does.
To cut a long story short, a jailbreak was released last year that works on a hardware level, so as long as you're on iOS 12.4 or later and on a device which has an A5 to A11 processor, it'll work.

Do u know the model number of your iPad? Im pretty sure 2017 iPad would be A9 processor, if so you're covered.

For iPhones it's everything between iPhone 5s and iPhone X.
Thanks, I won't be jailbreaking my ipad 2017, as I rely on it too much to do the regular tasks...I was horrified that my banking apps didn't work the last time I attempted to jailbreak it succesfully, tethered just for fun. Anyway its no good for flying as a 9.7in tablet is just way too big.

I now use my Samsung S10e which is ironically too small, to fly. Ah well, we can't always have everything. I have hinted to wife for a new ipad mini next year for my birthday....perhaps this time she'll listen. (She didn't on most of my other hints haha).

Reactions: gb160
Thanks, I won't be jailbreaking my ipad 2017, as I rely on it too much to do the regular tasks...I was horrified that my banking apps didn't work the last time I attempted to jailbreak it succesfully, tethered just for fun. Anyway its no good for flying as a 9.7in tablet is just way too big.

I now use my Samsung S10e which is ironically too small, to fly. Ah well, we can't always have everything. I have hinted to wife for a new ipad mini next year for my birthday....perhaps this time she'll listen. (She didn't on most of my other hints haha).
Yeah my banking app wont work on my jailbroken device which is a pain.
The beauty of this current jailbreak is because it will always work on the newest iOS version, no matter what happens you can just restore to stock iOS and always be able to jailbreak again.

iPad mini is starting to look attractive for flying, but I'll probably get a used one which is compatible with this jailbreak, I very much doubt the brand new ones are.

Yeah my banking app wont work on my jailbroken device which is a pain.
The beauty of this current jailbreak is because it will always work on the newest iOS version, no matter what happens you can just restore to stock iOS and always be able to jailbreak again.

iPad mini is starting to look attractive for flying, but I'll probably get a used one which is compatible with this jailbreak, I very much doubt the brand new ones are.
heya mate, did you order CE version of MA2 by any chance? tbh I've got one in my shopping basket since last week just waiting for confirmation that it can be changed to FCC :) on adnroid (or iOS) by gps spoofing.
I was on the chat with DJI and they've confirmed that CE drone will switch to FCC while brought to the US so theres a light at the end of the tunnel at least :)

heya mate, did you order CE version of MA2 by any chance? tbh I've got one in my shopping basket since last week just waiting for confirmation that it can be changed to FCC :) on adnroid (or iOS) by gps spoofing.
I was on the chat with DJI and they've confirmed that CE drone will switch to FCC while brought to the US so theres a light at the end of the tunnel at least :)
From my understanding there is no 'CE' version, as far as transmission power is concerned they're all the same.
The MA2 will switch between FCC/CE power depending on the location its being used in.
The only difference from a hardware standpoint is US ones have ads-b.
Im pretty sure this is correct, someone will correct me if not.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
@gb160
theres difference in transmitter power

Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • 2.400-2.4835 GHz:
    FCC: ≤26 dBm
    CE: ≤20 dBm

SRRC: ≤20 dBm
    MIC: ≤20 dBm

5.725-5.850 GHz:
    CE: ≤14 dBm

SRRC: ≤26 dBm
just not sure if its switched by phone / tablet GPS or determind by drones own GPS module

@gb160
theres difference in transmitter power

Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • 2.400-2.4835 GHz:
    CE: ≤20 dBm

SRRC: ≤20 dBm
    MIC: ≤20 dBm

5.725-5.850 GHz:
    CE: ≤14 dBm

SRRC: ≤26 dBm
just not sure if its switched by phone / tablet GPS or determind by drones own GPS module
Yeah obviously theres a difference in power (depending on where the drone is being used, not where the drone was purchased)

The promising thing for me is the cantonese video which shows some hack/tweak being used to obtain FCC power and range in CE location.
I guess we'll find out more in the coming weeks as more people get them and try different things.

Reactions: crosswired
i'm pretty sure it's going to work exactly like it does on the Mini, so we'll be able to use the fcc hack

i'm pretty sure it's going to work exactly like it does on the Mini, so we'll be able to use the fcc hack
But this is the difference...on the mini there are 2 completely different hardware versions, one for FCC, one for CE, they have different model numbers, and they have different circuitry which allows the FCC on more power.

On the MA2 the only hardware variations are for ads-b in the USA, the transmission power is decided via software.

IIRC I saw a video that demonstrated that even when the FCC 'hack' was applied to the (CE) mini, transmission power didn't alter noticeably, which backs up the point that on that drone, different power was achieved by different hardware.

Reactions: crosswired
But this is the difference...on the mini there are 2 completely different hardware versions, one for FCC, one for CE, they have different model numbers, and they have different circuitry which allows the FCC on more power.

On the MA2 the only hardware variations are for ads-b in the USA, the transmission power is decided via software.

IIRC I saw a video that demonstrated that even when the FCC 'hack' was applied to the (CE) mini, transmission power didn't alter noticeably, which backs up the point that on that drone, different power was achieved by different hardware.
you are correct but that's a totally separate issue. There is the FCC *mode* and then there's the actual hardware difference between the FCC and CE *models* (presumably triggered by the fact that having both the large 5.8 transmitter *and* the 2.4 transmitter would take the Mini above the 250g limit). But both Mini models support the FCC *mode* (which takes each model to the maximum of its hardware ability) and I would bet on the fact the Air 2 would follow the same scenario.

Order it! the Chinese dude has already hacked it!

yeah Ive seen it but I'm flying mostly on android :) well, got ipad 9.7'' as well but not sure about controllers holder availability as yet

... me too but will wait with ordering it until confirmed :)
Dude, suppose its confirmed not fcc hackable....what alternative would you have for the money you're about to spend?

There is no guarantee dji will never stop this by some software method anyway later in the future. CE mode and compliance to your local regulations already gave plenty of satisfied users in EU with Mavic 2 and Mavic 1.

Reactions: gb160
If you want to spoof your location use iSpoofer. It’s really easy. All I needed was my Mac but you can do it from windows also if you have iTunes. It’s actually very easy.

Not by GPS location on the MA2 solely but either Fly App device OR the aircraft. If the Fly App device starts in an FCC location by GPS, it will start in FCC mode (and vice versa CE), followed by another round of detection during the Aircraft starting (most likely before you enter to aircraft view / Go fly view). If on the second part GPS is not detected, it stays in FCC mode. If CE location is detected it will change modes. But suppose you start the aircraft and GPS is not detected before take off or a certain time, it will not change. In other words the transmission does not change during flight in progress.

so essentially if you spoof your location on your phone you can still use the hack on ma2? Theoretically should work from what your saying

If you want to spoof your location use iSpoofer. It’s really easy. All I needed was my Mac but you can do it from windows also if you have iTunes. It’s actually very easy.
My method doesn't even need Mac or PC.

there is something that no one seems to have picked up on ,and that is the new antennas they are actually in the top of the device fixture and are flat panels in the wide part at the top there is one in each side ,with the original RC it was possible to alter the angle of those panels depending on where the drone was in relation to the RC,
so with the new RC you need the flat part at the top to be pointing towards the drone to get the best signal ,i can see this being an issue if you are flying below your position down a valley as you would have to tilt the RC downwards which would make the screen hard to see

there is something that no one seems to have picked up on ,and that is the new antennas they are actually in the top of the device fixture and are flat panels in the wide part at the top there is one in each side ,with the original RC it was possible to alter the angle of those panels depending on where the drone was in relation to the RC,
so with the new RC you need the flat part at the top to be pointing towards the drone to get the best signal ,i can see this being an issue if you are flying below your position down a valley as you would have to tilt the RC downwards which would make the screen hard to see
I did actually think about this, but was hoping the newer antenna are now omnidirectional.

If it isn't, like you suggest, then this is a massive oversight from DJI.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25