DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 not going farther than 1km in fairly congested wifi area

You chose to be a Beta tester so do expect problems like connection issues.

Has DJI ever released a product that was good to go out if the box?

The MA1 definitely had issues, but I think the firmware update came right away.

I also bought the Osmo Mobile but it wasn’t a Day One purchase.

Has DJI ever released a product that was good to go out if the box?

The MA1 definitely had issues, but I think the firmware update came right away.

I also bought the Osmo Mobile but it wasn’t a Day One purchase.
No

Flew my MA2 today (CE) in a fairly congested wifi area.

The drone lost signal even before reaching the 1km mark.

I didn't manage to check on the channel used. But isn't it supposed to change channels automatically if one is too congested?

Suggestions?

That's pretty low range. Even with my CE MM I can get 1 km on the 2.4 channel in this highly infected wifi area. I can get +-1.8 km on the 5.8 channel using the hack on the CE. On my FCC MM I can get 3km using the hack (only 1km without it).

I haven't received my MA2 yet (but should in a few days) so I can't test it out yet but have you tried the hack to put you in the FCC country setting ? If you have tried the hack how did you confirm you were in the FCC mode ?

Where are you flying ?

That's pretty low range. Even with my CE MM I can get 1 km on the 2.4 channel in this highly infected wifi area. I can get +-1.8 km on the 5.8 channel using the hack on the CE. On my FCC MM I can get 3km using the hack (only 1km without it).

I haven't received my MA2 yet (but should in a few days) so I can't test it out yet but have you tried the hack to put you in the FCC country setting ? If you have tried the hack how did you confirm you were in the FCC mode ?

Where are you flying ?

1.8km on 5.8 for MM CE in FCC mode? That seems highly unlikely and goes against all the tests online.

I’ve read some early reviews indicating possible connection issues. Could it be the new controller design?

One reviewer claimed that they had line of sight, but a low brick wall was partially between the controller and the drone causing a complete loss of connection.
They also noticed connection issues just putting the controller behind the carrying case, but did not completely lose connection. They reported not having similar issues with the M2 Pro.
I think it is still too early to tell if it will be a larger issue, or just a fluke.
I have seen some long range test on YouTube and CE guys make 6 km and FCC 8 km. Don't know about people making less than 2 km

As per regulations here, I'm flying at 90 meters altitude. There's only a metal fence in front of me. Would that be too low?

If you have a direct line between the controller and drone, the fence shouldn't matter.

Likewise, if it's a chain mesh type fence, that should not matter if you are standing behind it and the drone is under the line of signal (it may affect it ever so slightly, but it shouldn't cause loss of signal).
If it's a high full metal fence and you fly where that is between the drone and controller, it could well cause loss of signal and failsafe RTH to begin.

The Occusync should cope a lot better than the wifi Air original, if it doesn't there could be a warranty issue, so I'd test some more and if it's still problematic, get onto DJI to see what they say.
You might want to take some video showing where you are flying and what the problem is on the controller (messages etc) to show when they start too early with a good environment to fly.

Any Full Mavic Air 2 reviews out yet for CE regions? (By someone who doesn't get their drone from dji for free). Its out a week now and not finding any Europen reviews...
Im holding off on ordering one until Its shown the experince of the op here is not a common one. Ta.

Reactions: crosswired
I’ve ordered an FCC version direct from China. Already shipped with DHL estimated to arrive Thursday

better to have a full version of the air 2 than nearly there 80% specced EU version. And I can fly it after 2022.

From what I understand the drones are identical apart from the missing module for reading other aircrafts nearby.

Ive just realised DJI only make an FCC version for the mini. Why is that?

will there be any other way to tell if I definitely have an American/Chinese version apart from the plug?

Ive just realised DJI only make an FCC version for the mini. Why is that?

will there be any other way to tell if I definitely have an American/Chinese version apart from the plug?
Think you're confused, theres 2 versions of the mini, FCC and CE.
There are 2 versions of the MA2, but only difference is US versions have ads-b...from my understanding FCC/CE power is decided by gps location on the MA2.

There are 2 versions of the MA2, but only difference is US versions have ads-b...from my understanding FCC/CE power is decided by gps location on the MA2.

Look on the back of the remote..

Model MT1SS5 (FCC version)
5.8 GHz: <30 dBm (FCC); <28 dBm (SRRC)
Model MT1SD25 (CE version)
2.4 GHz: <19 dBm (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: <14 dBm (CE)

Not by GPS location on the MA2 solely but either Fly App device OR the aircraft. If the Fly App device starts in an FCC location by GPS, it will start in FCC mode (and vice versa CE), followed by another round of detection during the Aircraft starting (most likely before you enter to aircraft view / Go fly view). If on the second part GPS is not detected, it stays in FCC mode. If CE location is detected it will change modes. But suppose you start the aircraft and GPS is not detected before take off or a certain time, it will not change. In other words the transmission does not change during flight in progress.

Reactions: gb160
Not by GPS location on the MA2 solely but either Fly App device OR the aircraft. If the Fly App device starts in an FCC location by GPS, it will start in FCC mode (and vice versa CE), followed by another round of detection during the Aircraft starting (most likely before you enter to aircraft view / Go fly view). If on the second part GPS is not detected, it stays in FCC mode. If CE location is detected it will change modes. But suppose you start the aircraft and GPS is not detected before take off or a certain time, it will not change. In other words the transmission does not change during flight in progress.

Good information. Have you got you MA2 yet ? It will be interesting to test it to see if there is a work around so the FkGPS hack can work.

Good information. Have you got you MA2 yet ? It will be interesting to test it to see if there is a work around so the FkGPS hack can work.
I shared a link somewhere here...someone has already done the FCC via IOS no less in Hong Kong. Hope you can understand cantonese, if not what I hear from the poster is that he made it work.

Reactions: gb160
I shared a link somewhere here...someone has already done the FCC via IOS no less in Hong Kong. Hope you can understand cantonese, if not what I hear from the poster is that he made it work.

Absolutely can't grasp cantonese... Still, it's a good vid... As the vid shows it appears that it can be done. It would be great if someone could come up with a tweak for android.
Hopefully, until a firmware tweak appears, the usual procedure can be used.

Absolutely can't grasp cantonese... Still, it's a good vid... As the vid shows it appears that it can be done. It would be great if someone could come up with a tweak for android.
Hopefully, until a firmware tweak appears, the usual procedure can be used.
I use iOS and gps spoofing is pretty simple, as you say though, some sort of tweak would make the process much simpler so would be great if the one this guy uses makes its way into English at some point.

I do a bit of tinkering with iOS, and have had a quick look at the DJI Fly app, theres all sorts of variables that I can adjust relating to FCC/CE, which I presume is what this guys tweak does...I cant test anything until my MA2 arrives though.

Reactions: crosswired
I use iOS and gps spoofing is pretty simple, as you say though, some sort of tweak would make the process much simpler so would be great if the one this guy uses makes its way into English at some point.

I do a bit of tinkering with iOS, and have had a quick look at the DJI Fly app, theres all sorts of variables that I can adjust relating to FCC/CE, which I presume is what this guys tweak does...I cant test anything until my MA2 arrives though.
For my knowledge, does this tinkering require jailbreak? What version of IOS is jailbroken nowadays? Last I did this was IOS8 on my Ipad mini 1, now I have a 2017 Ipad with IOS13 that I've not really bothered with jailbreaking as many secure apps such as banking and investment etc will break. I'd like to have the benefit of both apps and location spoofing if possible.

For my knowledge, does this tinkering require jailbreak? What version of IOS is jailbroken nowadays? Last I did this was IOS8 on my Ipad mini 1, now I have a 2017 Ipad with IOS13 that I've not really bothered with jailbreaking as many secure apps such as banking and investment etc will break. I'd like to have the benefit of both apps and location spoofing if possible.
Yes it's very likely to require jailbreak, at least the gps spoofing does.
To cut a long story short, a jailbreak was released last year that works on a hardware level, so as long as you're on iOS 12.4 or later and on a device which has an A5 to A11 processor, it'll work.

Do u know the model number of your iPad? Im pretty sure 2017 iPad would be A9 processor, if so you're covered.

For iPhones it's everything between iPhone 5s and iPhone X.

Reactions: lee82gx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead