DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Lost - Help locate on map!

bzmot

Reactions
Hi guys. Mavic 2 lost in a stupid way while orbiting sideways - stuck in a tree somewhere. Based on the dat files can some helpful soul show me where it is? @sar104 perhaps? It’s beyond reach on some trees on high cliffs. My only hope is if I show the location to dji and they see there’s no way to get to it, they might take pity and still let me use my the refresh, even though the drone can’t be retrieved. Thanks a lot in advance! My radio is still connected to the drone. I’m merely 300 feet from it but no way to get to it, I can just watch as the battery slowly dies. No way to start it cause it’s tilted and entangled in some leaves but I can take photos of some dark foliage. pretty excruciating but that’s what you get for being dumb.....

Attachments

• 20-07-21-02-59-42_FLY016.DAT
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20-07-21-03-07-22_FLY017.DAT
    9.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20-07-21-10-10-56_FLY018.DAT
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20-07-21-07-41-42_FLY018.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 8
  • Sad
Reactions: hiflyer201
can you upload the txt file relating to 20-07-21-07-41-42_FLY018.DAT,
If you download Datcon from CsvView/DatCon , and set it to work on 20-07-21-07-41-42_FLY018.DAT with the KML button pressed you can, with the resulting KML file, make a map in your "my maps" in google maps.
I am not sure if any of the output of Datcon will produce a map via DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Nice area!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys. Mavic 2 lost in a stupid way while orbiting sideways - stuck in a tree somewhere. Based on the dat files can some helpful soul show me where it is? @sar104 perhaps? It’s beyond reach on some trees on high cliffs. My only hope is if I show the location to dji and they see there’s no way to get to it, they might take pity and still let me use my the refresh, even though the drone can’t be retrieved. Thanks a lot in advance! My radio is still connected to the drone. I’m merely 300 feet from it but no way to get to it, I can just watch as the battery slowly dies. No way to start it cause it’s tilted and entangled in some leaves but I can take photos of some dark foliage. pretty excruciating but that’s what you get for being dumb.....

The last DAT file (FLY018.DAT) shows the aircraft stationary in this location:

grab154.jpg

Thank you! I would have downloaded the software needed to read the dats but I’m on vacation and only have my iPad with me! I took photos of the crags (the road leads through a ravine of sorts) and hopefully that can help me back my claim. I am still in the area and trust me if I could recover it, I would. But I’m not going to risk breaking my neck. This requires climbing skills and gear which I do not possess.

Thank you! I would have downloaded the software needed to read the dats but I’m on vacation and only have my iPad with me! I took photos of the crags (the road leads through a ravine of sorts) and hopefully that can help me back my claim. I am still in the area and trust me if I could recover it, I would. But I’m not going to risk breaking my neck. This requires climbing skills and gear which I do not possess.

The location looks like a pretty easy low-angle scramble to me - it's between and below the trickier cliff bands.

grab155.jpg

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Wow that sounds great... although the terrain is super complex and changes by the meter. I didn’t have the greatest gps fix (9 satellites if memory serves..) so maybe the location from the dat file isn’t very precise.. still I guess I’ll go in the morning and give it a try...

I know I could probably check it on google earth but I’m not sure if the iPad version will show me that. Can you see what the elevation of the drone is relative to the road? I was flying at around 70m when the crash happened but it may have tumbled down some...

Wow that sounds great... although the terrain is super complex and changes by the meter. I didn’t have the greatest gps fix (9 satellites if memory serves..) so maybe the location from the dat file isn’t very precise.. still I guess I’ll go in the morning and give it a try...

I know I could probably check it on google earth but I’m not sure if the iPad version will show me that. Can you see what the elevation of the drone is relative to the road? I was flying at around 70m when the crash happened but it may have tumbled down some...

ok I’ll go there now. It’s rained in the day already, I won’t risk another rain in the night and the grass becoming too slippery. I have seen those cliffs and I hope you’re right about it being an easy climb but I’m not optimistic. Still, I have to try.

The GPS elevation MSL and the GE DEM both put it around 75 m above the road. The GPS data show a standard deviation of 2.5 m over a period of 255 seconds . It was reporting 8 satellites.

• Wow
Let us know your survived even if you didn't find it. If you do find it PULL THE BATTERY immediately.

Not possible. Might seem like gentle slopes on the computer screen but when I am against the cliff, on the road, straight line to the drone this is what I see (see photo). Dense brush impossible to even start climbing, plus it is private land, plus it is loose scree from the first meters so even the first section was difficult to climb And very very hard to safely descend. Further up all I saw was loose and slippery rocks. We just did the Hardergrat ridge trail two days ago, I’m not afraid of some sweat or scrambling but this would be suicide.

Sorry guys and thanks for your help! We’ll see what dji says.

Attachments

• A3160BAB-30E2-4B76-BFB6-0F90A187C314.jpeg
    A3160BAB-30E2-4B76-BFB6-0F90A187C314.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • FAC19F03-F5D8-4473-81CC-4AA3A7088785.jpeg
    FAC19F03-F5D8-4473-81CC-4AA3A7088785.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 36457DBA-8B63-4AC5-97FB-AB49793969DA.jpeg
    36457DBA-8B63-4AC5-97FB-AB49793969DA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 31
Not possible. Might seem like gentle slopes on the computer screen but when I am against the cliff, on the road, straight line to the drone this is what I see (see photo). Dense brush impossible to even start climbing, plus it is private land, plus it is loose scree from the first meters so even the first section was difficult to climb And very very hard to safely descend. Further up all I saw was loose and slippery rocks. We just did the Hardergrat ridge trail two days ago, I’m not afraid of some sweat or scrambling but this would be suicide.

Sorry guys and thanks for your help! We’ll see what dji says.

Probably a wise decision then. It's not worth risking injury to recover it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111