DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro and flying inside a factory.

RpnPilot

Reactions
I have experience flying inside but not filming inside a factory and may have the opportunity to do so. I would use Tripod mode with GPS and return to home off. The factory has wide aisles to fly and high ceilings but it is a very large steel building with lots of machines. Can anybody offer advice? This would be a great opportunity for me to offer another service for my company as well a lucrative contract.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have no experience at all with this, but the first question that comes to mind is this. Are you sure that you have reliable GPS signals inside that particular building? When I think of large factory buildings what I picture are large STEEL ROOFED buildings. That's what is most common around here.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
This might help. Your drone will go into ATTI mode so be prepared for that (no GPS). It will continue on inertia even if you let go of the sticks . . .

Nice job. It looks like a really challenging flying enviornment.
I wasn't the pilot but you were correct in regards to GPS loss inside due to the structure . . .

I have no experience at all with this, but the first question that comes to mind is this. Are you sure that you have reliable GPS signals inside that particular building? When I think of large factory buildings what I picture are large STEEL ROOFED buildings. That's what is most common around here.
Yes I plan on flying just in Atti. and Tripod mode with no GPS.

Reactions: rainystateguy
I have flown my MP indoors so here is my 2 cents worth:
  • Pick up a set of prop guards. They are inexpensive and will help reduce the pucker factor flying indoors.
  • Use Tripod mode.
  • Set RTH to hover.
  • Turn off collision avoidance sensors.
  • You may also want to turn off VPS. While it may be helpful holding position I have read (but not tested) that if VPS is left on it will limit how high you can fly without GPS. VPS may also cause an unintended movement up if you fly close above something.
  • Stay at least one foot away from a flat ceiling. If you get too close it will suck itself up to it.
  • Take off the props, fold in the arms, and use it as a hand-held video camera. This will get you the 3-axis stabilized camera and the video quality should match your flying video in editing.
  • The props cause a lot of air movement so stay away from drapes, papers, or other light items and stay away from the floor. You will find out pretty quickly how much dust and other debris are lying around. If you have ever stood directly under your M2 while in a hover you know how much air it is pushing.
  • Walk directly behind it while flying. It will keep you out of the shot and your flying directions will match your left/right stick movements.
  • Be aware of reflective surfaces. Nothing like a shot being ruined by the operator's reflection in a window.
That may be more like 10 cents worth but it is all relevant.

Great advice, I'm actually thinking of the handheld option, securing it to a pole and then walking around and recording that way your not dealing with the dust from manufacturing.

I have flown my MP indoors so here is my 2 cents worth:
  • Pick up a set of prop guards. They are inexpensive and will help reduce the pucker factor flying indoors.
  • Use Tripod mode.
  • Set RTH to hover.
  • Turn off collision avoidance sensors.
  • You may also want to turn off VPS. While it may be helpful holding position I have read (but not tested) that if VPS is left on it will limit how high you can fly without GPS. VPS may also cause an unintended movement up if you fly close above something.
  • Stay at least one foot away from a flat ceiling. If you get too close it will suck itself up to it.
  • Take off the props, fold in the arms, and use it as a hand-held video camera. This will get you the 3-axis stabilized camera and the video quality should match your flying video in editing.
  • The props cause a lot of air movement so stay away from drapes, papers, or other light items and stay away from the floor. You will find out pretty quickly how much dust and other debris are lying around. If you have ever stood directly under your M2 while in a hover you know how much air it is pushing.
  • Walk directly behind it while flying. It will keep you out of the shot and your flying directions will match your left/right stick movements.
  • Be aware of reflective surfaces. Nothing like a shot being ruined by the operator's reflection in a window.
That may be more like 10 cents worth but it is all relevant.
Another reason this forum is great!Excellent tips.

Reactions: RpnPilot
My experience same as above but stay close funny things happen when you not right by it. Inside or around metal or high electrical. Spot on Mossiback

I've flown indoors with loss of GPS which reverted the M2 to VPS/vision mode. It does indeed limit height to about 15ft however it did not fly up when flying over a table, or model train layout. I was impressed with its stability. It makes me wish one could intentionally disable GPS so it doesn't cut in and out, possibly causing flight instability.

It makes me wish one could intentionally disable GPS so it doesn't cut in and out, possibly causing flight instability.
You can. Its called ATTI Mode (Attitude Mode). It happens automatically if you have less than 6 satellites connected. You can turn GPS off (or ATTI on) from your computer. You can even assign one of your F1/F2 buttons below the RC to turn it on and off (or one of the side mode selections positions). This was talked about on another post this past week . . . FPV flying.

It makes me wish one could intentionally disable GPS so it doesn't cut in and out, possibly causing flight instability.

First, you can't natively switch to ATTI mode. Second, if you do, you also lose VPS. My point was to disable GPS so that it stays as VPS and never back to GPS, just like you can disable VPS so it never goes in that mode.

First, you can't natively switch to ATTI mode. Second, if you do, you also lose VPS. My point was to disable GPS so that it stays as VPS and never back to GPS, just like you can disable VPS so it never goes in that mode.
Ah, I see sir Dan . . . point taken.

I have experience flying inside but not filming inside a factory and may have the opportunity to do so. I would use Tripod mode with GPS and return to home off. The factory has wide aisles to fly and high ceilings but it is a very large steel building with lots of machines. Can anybody offer advice? This would be a great opportunity for me to offer another service for my company as well a lucrative contract.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hello you can probably check out this site Warehouse Drones For Inventory Automation | Ware . They are doing just what you are looking for, they may be able to offer you some assistance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan