DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Moire Issues

DTM415

Reactions
Hi All, I'm a long-time Phantom user and professional photographer, first time Mavic user/poster.

To make this short, I love my M2P and just about everything about it but, I am getting some pretty bad moire in several of my video clips and photos.

Video example (background buildings) shot at 4K/30 H.265 .MOV -

Photo example (building to the right of ferry building) shot in jpeg - View media item 2207
I have my style set to landscape, do you think that little bit of sharpness would be enough to provoke this? Any tips on avoiding this with the mavics?

Cheers

DTM, have you removed moir in post processing? That's typically how I handle it.

Ways to prevent off the top of my head, filters and reducing the sharpness.

The techniques that work for DSLR Video/Photos apply to your drone.

DTM, have you removed moir in post processing? That's typically how I handle it.

Ways to prevent off the top of my head, filters and reducing the sharpness.

The techniques that work for DSLR Video/Photos apply to your drone.

It's been years since having to deal with it in a DSLR, and the only tutorials i've watched on removing it from video seem like a PITA. Any simple tips on removing it from footage?

Make a selective blur with a mask? You'll have to manually adjust the keyframes as the video moves but it shouldn't take you too long to get it right, it's a short video.

At least in Premiere Pro, there is an option in the Lumetri Color>Creative panel that says "Sharpen" and I lower that by about 5 or 10 and that's usually enough to kill most moire for me.

I have the Mavic-II Pro on resolutuon charts right now. I have found that the Pro appears to be using a line skipping sensor readout so it can scale dow to 4k on FOV mode. HQ mode does not display this. Actually, in my resolution shootout video due in a few days, this line skipping is going to be easy to show.

Reactions: cpokrywka
I'm also noticing very severe moire in my videos. Maybe it's fixable via future firmware upgrades? Or it's a sensor limitation? I'm kind of regret buying M2P now...

I'm also having some severe moire issues in my videos. But apart from that issue, the quality from the video / stills is very good much better from my previous drone, MP1.

Have a look at this. Never had this issue with P4P - Is this Moire? Looks like stuttering to me.

I will give you my opinion. I'm not an expert though.
To me, it seems like moire on the containers. Moire was present with MP1 and it's still present with MP2. I did also notice a slight stuttering, but this was similar to the stuttering effect you get when panning too quickly.

Although you kept the drone looking at the same direction, the ship's quick movement into your frame created this effect. At the same time, you can see at the background there is no stuttering. If you were recording in 60fps most probably you wouldn't have this effect.

Reactions: wisesafe
I will give you my opinion. I'm not an expert though.
To me, it seems like moire on the containers. Moire was present with MP1 and it's still present with MP2. I did also notice a slight stuttering, but this was similar to the stuttering effect you get when panning too quickly.

Although you kept the drone looking at the same direction, the ship's quick movement into your frame created this effect. At the same time, you can see at the background there is no stuttering. If you were recording in 60fps most probably you wouldn't have this effect.
Wish the Mavic 2 had 60 fps. One thing I watched the video on a 4K tv and it looked ok. Guess it's back to the P4P.

I feel your pain, I brought up the issue of my disappointment regarding no 60fps in the MP2 and was beaten to death by other members. There is an underlying sentiment in this forum that DJI can do no wrong and should not be criticized.
It's too bad as this is the best way to get your message thru to the manufacturer. If we just tell them that their product is great, we deserve whatever they give us. They have no motivation to double down and provide exceptional products. After waiting 3 years for a new Mavic pro, above all I would think 60fps would be improvement number one far above low light performance, colour saturation, additional flight sensors etc. This is supposed to be a camera platform, first and foremost, not a toy.
What good is video if you can't watch a panned shot or subject motion.
Panning slow enough to avoid the stutter is just tedious to watch.
I am surprised there are still binning and line skipping artifacts to deal with. DJI it seems, is not listening to their customers.

Reactions: bkushner
I feel your pain, I brought up the issue of my disappointment regarding no 60fps in the MP2 and was beaten to death by other members. There is an underlying sentiment in this forum that DJI can do no wrong and should not be criticized.
It's too bad as this is the best way to get your message thru to the manufacturer. If we just tell them that their product is great, we deserve whatever they give us. They have no motivation to double down and provide exceptional products. After waiting 3 years for a new Mavic pro, above all I would think 60fps would be improvement number one far above low light performance, colour saturation, additional flight sensors etc. This is supposed to be a camera platform, first and foremost, not a toy.
What good is video if you can't watch a panned shot or subject motion.
Panning slow enough to avoid the stutter is just tedious to watch.
I am surprised there are still binning and line skipping artifacts to deal with. DJI it seems, is not listening to their customers.
Your right, people have convinced themselves that the video from this drone is the best there is when early on they didn't like it. I still have my P4P and I'm reminded every time I film with it how much better it is then the M2P

Yup the list of complaints just keeps growing with no response from dji. I'll either stick with my old mavic pro, pick up a phantom pro or wait for an upgraded evo. Dji has opened the door to its competition with the mavic 2 pro. They should at least take pro out of the name, it's not for pros.

As tech evolves and time moves on, we rightfully expect more. It's called progress. The original was not perfect but it was a new design with new capabilities that enabled the user to explore new worlds. By today's standards it is not pro either.

It does, but from all the complaints and problems discussed over the past couple of weeks many of them don't work well, many bugs, what could be a serious under utilization of the 1" sensor - perhaps a rush to release a product that was not ready. There seems to be no shortage of new owners wishing they had not "upgraded". Let's hope DJI can deal with most of the issues thru a firmware update.

Discontent expressed thru forums like this is the only way we have to drive DJI to build a better mouse trap. If we demand more, we might get it, if we don't we surely won't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98