DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 - worried about turning of motors during flight

Ianf

Reactions
Hi all,

Been flying the M2 zoom for around a month and noticed in the settings that you can turn off the motors in flight - as far as I can make out this action is initiated by positioning the sticks as one would for starting the motors pre take off i.e. together or apart in downward movement. This worries me somewhat as I might inadvertently trigger this with the corresponding risk to others and the drone. I noticed that the setting is selected to be used in ‘emergencies only’ with the other option of CSC manoeuvres. I guess the latter option means what it says i.e. I can turn off the motors during flight. So I guess what I am asking is, who or what defines the emergency? And for good measure what is the criteria?, Is this based on a critical occurrence such as a single prop failure or similar?

Any help would be very appreciated

This worries me somewhat as I might inadvertently trigger this with the corresponding risk to others and the drone. I noticed that the setting is selected to be used in ‘emergencies only’ with the other option of CSC manoeuvres. I guess the latter option means what it says i.e. I can turn off the motors during flight.
You would have to be flying like a monkey on meth to do accidentally.
It's not something that you'll ever accidentally do in normal flight.
You would have to be descending at full speed in an anticlockwise spiral while also flying backwards-sideways at full speed.
That's just not something you will ever get close to doing.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
FWIW, next time you're flying the drone, take it up to a safe height, ensure it's in P or even T mode then give it full right rudder, full down throttle, full right.... err, cyclic, and full back cyclic. Basically both sticks to one corner (NOT opposite corners lest you trigger CSC) and see how the drone flies. Ask yourself if it's even remotely possible you'll either deliberately or accidentally fly in that fashion...

I've flown a few dozen hours so far and never even come close to accidentally triggering it. It's handy for conditions in which a crash is unavoidable; you cut power to try and reduce damage to the props/motors and whatever the drone is about to hit.

It would be interesting to get up 300ft -400ft shut the motors off then back on and see if it recovers. Of course I'll let someone else try this first Lol

It would be interesting to get up 300ft -400ft shut the motors off then back on and see if it recovers
I haven't seen that one done with the Mavic 2 yet. I'm assuming the result will be like this Mavic Pro test:

An emergency sitauition where this would be used is if you see a manned aircraft approaching your position and don’t have time for cognitive evasive maneuvers.

Another and more common would be if the props get tangled in something and need to be shut off immediately to save from further damage or harm.

The "emergency only" setting is somewhat misleading and should read "in case of flight controller malfunction".
Aka when on that setting the aircraft won't let you stop motors unless it detects some kind of internal problem. Nobody knows what DJI considers as such a malfunction though.

You would have to be flying like a monkey on meth to do accidentally.
It's not something that you'll ever accidentally do in normal flight.
You would have to be descending at full speed in an anticlockwise spiral while also flying backwards-sideways at full speed.
That's just not something you will ever get close to doing.

Ha, "A monkey on meth", you just made my day!

Thanks to everyone for your speedy replies, reassuring to know that as long as I keep of the ‘meth’ all should be OK! But seriously, thanks, I am impressed by the service

If the M2 rolls over you will not be able to restart the motors. M1s can bypass this with a parameter change but I have not found a way to do this with the M2.

Reactions: rickw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11