DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller won't Connect to my Phone

Hi, my google search just bought me here! Just received my Mavic Air 2 here in the UK..... same problem! Well almost the same... Controller will not connect to iphone or ipad, tried 2 different iphone 11s and an ipad. However it will connect to my sisters Samsung Galaxy 4s and works perfectly. Waiting for a reply from DJI support..... ?

Hi, my google search just bought me here! Just received my Mavic Air 2 here in the UK..... same problem! Well almost the same... Controller will not connect to iphone or ipad, tried 2 different iphone 11s and an ipad. However it will connect to my sisters Samsung Galaxy 4s and works perfectly. Waiting for a reply from DJI support..... ?

in the mean time I ordered a USB C to lightning cable from Amazon just to see if the lead was anything to do with the problem... using the 3rd party lead the controller connects to the phone OK but there is no image from the camera. I’m guessing that’s to do with the way it’s wired but at least it seems to indicate that the problem may be with the DJI lead supplied with the Mavic Air 2? Anybody else tried this?

Hi, first post, I joined the forum because I just got my Mavic Air 2, my very first camera drone, and the same issue has drawn me to his thread. Might as well commiserate and share my experience/findings here, since I can't fly the drone!

I'm trying to connect to an iPhone 11 Pro and having the same issue others have described. With my iPad Pro (which uses a USB-C connector) it kind of works, but keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. It's not stable enough for me to feel safe actually letting the aircraft lift off the ground, though, so I haven't attempted a flight. The iPad is much too large for me, in any case: I want to use the iPhone, so even though the iPad almost works, I went back to the Lightning connector and have been trying to troubleshoot.

It's not the cable. I have 4 different USB-C to Lightning cables at home, all of which are data-capable (they're not just charging cables), all of which are different from each other in manufacturer, length, and construction. I even have a USB-A to Lightning cable and a USB-C to USB-A adapter that I tried as well. None of them cause the slightest reaction from the phone when connected to the RC, and the DJI Fly app continues to say that the RC is not connected to the phone. To further confirm that it's not the cable, I connected my iPhone to one of my laptop's USB-C ports via the DJI cable (it's very short, but not too short), and the phone was recognized and I was able to explore the phone's photo/video camera roll via the laptop. Nothing wrong with the DJI cable, at least in my case.

By the way: yes, I know which USB-C connector is the "real" one and which is just a dummy slot for the short cable to plug into for stowage. And yes, I know that a case can get in the way of the connector seating fully, and my phone has no case.

As for symptoms, when I first plugged the phone to the controller, I got a very strange behavior where the phone reacted with the screen lighting up and the sound that means "charging started," and the little lighting symbol on the battery icon...and then the symbol went away, and then 10 seconds or so later the sound again, over and over. It did this for a few minutes while I tried to get the app to activate the drone. The connection kept dropping and coming back repeatedly. Eventually this cycle stopped and the phone stopped recognizing the RC connection at all. I connected to my iPad and got a similar (but less severe) connection/disconnection cycle, with enough stability to see the camera image and even perform a firmware upgrade (on the second attempt). Back to the phone, I tried changing the "allow USB Accessories to connect when locked" option someone mentioned somewhere, which made no difference (an why would it, since the phone wasn't locked when all of this was happening?). I tried shutting down and restarting the phone, with the drone and RC already on and connected to the phone, as someone suggested might work. Nothing works. One time, for no reason I can determine, it actually worked, the app connected, I got a camera image, and everything seemed to be working, but when I tried to reproduce the result, it once again didn't work and all my attempts so far this morning have been completely unsuccessful.

So, what could it be?
  • If it's a hardware fault in the RC, it would explain why so many people, including all those YouTube posters/reviewers, seem to have no trouble at all, but then why do some people with the problem seem to be able to just switch from iOS to Android and it starts working? Why does it sort of work with my USB-C iPad but not so much with my Lightning iPhone?
  • If it's a firmware fault, wouldn't everyone (at least with iOS) see the problem?
  • If it's an iOS setting/compatibility interaction, what could it be? The only setting in iOS that has anything to do with external accessories (I think), is the one about USB accessories connecting while the phone is locked.

Like others I'm waiting for a response from tech support. I tried sending an e-mail. Meanwhile my drone is an expensive paperweight.

There is no software update for this issue?? They told you you have to return it?? I mean is it hardware problem??
i'm guessing it has to be a hardware problem i'm still waiting for a shipping label from customer service once i get a replacement or a repaired controller back i will update this

As a new forum member, my previous/first post hasn't been approved by a moderator yet, but I'm posting a follow-up since I just had a successful resolution with chat support. I don't know if what worked for me will work for anyone else, but just in case it does, here you go:

Following instructions from tech support, I re-linked the controller to the aircraft using the procedure that doesn't require the app to be connected (with no device connected to the controller):
  1. Power on remote controller and aircraft.
  2. On the controller, press the Fn button (top left), photo/video toggle button (top right), and shutter button (right trigger) simultaneously until the controller beeps and its LEDs start blinking in sequence.
  3. Press and hold the power button of the aircraft for several seconds, until it beeps. The aircraft should beep twice more to indicate it has linked, and the controller lights should turn solid.

Once I had done that, I just connected my iPhone 11 Pro again with the DJI-included USB-C to Lightning cable, connected to the top right port (the way it was shipped), started the app, and it immediately connected. The phone made the "I'm starting to charge" sound as soon as I plugged in the cable, although it didn't start charging (since the app is set not to allow the RC to charge my phone). I've been looking at the camera view the whole time I've been writing this message, and it has been stable. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly, and I also powered down everything, unplugged the cable, force-quit the app, and then restarted and reconnected everything, and it seems to be working well now. Hope this helps others.

As a new forum member, my previous/first post hasn't been approved by a moderator yet, but I'm posting a follow-up since I just had a successful resolution with chat support. I don't know if what worked for me will work for anyone else, but just in case it does, here you go:

Following instructions from tech support, I re-linked the controller to the aircraft using the procedure that doesn't require the app to be connected (with no device connected to the controller):
  1. Power on remote controller and aircraft.
  2. On the controller, press the Fn button (top left), photo/video toggle button (top right), and shutter button (right trigger) simultaneously until the controller beeps and its LEDs start blinking in sequence.
  3. Press and hold the power button of the aircraft for several seconds, until it beeps. The aircraft should beep twice more to indicate it has linked, and the controller lights should turn solid.

Once I had done that, I just connected my iPhone 11 Pro again with the DJI-included USB-C to Lightning cable, connected to the top right port (the way it was shipped), started the app, and it immediately connected. The phone made the "I'm starting to charge" sound as soon as I plugged in the cable, although it didn't start charging (since the app is set not to allow the RC to charge my phone). I've been looking at the camera view the whole time I've been writing this message, and it has been stable. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly, and I also powered down everything, unplugged the cable, force-quit the app, and then restarted and reconnected everything, and it seems to be working well now. Hope this helps others.

Hi, just tried as you suggested but no change unfortunately, thanks for trying though!

I tried iphone 11, Iphone XS, Google Pixel 3, LG, iPad pro all not working, I visited a friend he have Samsung s10 plus and working!! What the hell is wrong with this RC? Only samsung s10 plus working with it!!!!!!

Weird one, I got my air 2 on the 22nd sent direct from dji UK.
Connected with IOS on my pro max . No issue , then tried on an older 6s plus which is just for drone use. Again no issue connecting and no problem with the update. Maybe a dodgy batch released .

OK, so I got the MA2 2 days ago. Charged everything and did a great almost 1/2 hour flight yesterday. Video and stills looked good. Controller and iPad Mini worked fine as a unit. Today I grab all three batteries, drive to a flight area and the MA2 won't connect. I get the red banner that says Remote is not connected to the device. Lights on the remote were flashing. But it is fully charged. Any ideas? I hope I don't have to re-pair them every time I want to fly or something odd like that. Also, I have a Smart Controller for the MP2 and updated it but I couldn't pair that so I guess that update is still coming, Yes?

OK, so I got the MA2 2 days ago. Charged everything and did a great almost 1/2 hour flight yesterday. Video and stills looked good. Controller and iPad Mini worked fine as a unit. Today I grab all three batteries, drive to a flight area and the MA2 won't connect. I get the red banner that says Remote is not connected to the device. Lights on the remote were flashing. But it is fully charged. Any ideas? I hope I don't have to re-pair them every time I want to fly or something odd like that. Also, I have a Smart Controller for the MP2 and updated it but I couldn't pair that so I guess that update is still coming, Yes?
NEVER MIND - I was trying to use the old DJI Fly App for my Mini. Once I exited that and went to the latest Fly App I just downloaded Monday, all is working. I did tell the App I wanted the MA2 but there's something there. Key is to use the latest DJI Fly App.

Reactions: Hi-Flyer
My Mavic Air 2 got delivered yesterday. However, when I connect my phone to the controller, the phone doesn't recognize that the controller is connected. I have attached the controller and drone to my computer and updated the firmware on both. I also have tried connecting to the controller with different phones, both Android(Galaxy S8) and iPhone, and all have the same issue. I've removed my phone case to make sure the cable is making a full connection and I am using the latest version of the DJI Fly app.

Has anyone experienced this with their Air 2? With any other DJI drones?

Also, do we know how to control the drone without a phone? When I have both the controller and drone powered on, the lights on the controller stop flashing and go solid. I assume this means that the 2 are connected, but pressing any of the buttons or spinning camera wheel do nothing on the drone (Not sure if you should be able to do this without the phone connection working). This was purchased from Best Buy, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I've been playing around with this problem for about two weeks. The connectivity with the RC "comes and goes" - I am connected for a few days, and then the connection is lost. I have it nailed down to two points: 1. The RC should be switched on and only then connected to the Smartphone. 2. For the first time, if the DJI Fly app is already installed, delete and re-download it. Activate it. It SHOULD (but won't always) present you with a message asking you if DJI FLY should always be activated when the relevant USB device - the RC - is connected. You answer yes. That is once only, and from then on whenever you connect the switched-on RC to the Smartphone, the DJI FLY app should be activated automatically. That is the theory of the thing. At some point it stops activating the DJI Fly. I don't know why. What I do then is to delete the app and download it again from Google Play, in the hope of again getting the screen asking if DJI Fly should always be activated when the RC is connected. I get that message about once in ten times. Until I get it, the MAVIC AIR 2 is a useless piece of plastic. I have reported this in details (as here) to DJI Support. So far, all l have received is a stupid suggestion to try with a different telephone. (My phone, a Samsung A50, IS DJI approved). Browsing this problem on the web, one finds that many DJI drones have similar problems. I should add that I also have the first Mavic Air, the Tello, the Mini and a few other drones. NONE of them have been problematic whatsoever.

Last edited:
Hi, first post, I joined the forum because I just got my Mavic Air 2, my very first camera drone, and the same issue has drawn me to his thread. Might as well commiserate and share my experience/findings here, since I can't fly the drone!

I'm trying to connect to an iPhone 11 Pro and having the same issue others have described. With my iPad Pro (which uses a USB-C connector) it kind of works, but keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. It's not stable enough for me to feel safe actually letting the aircraft lift off the ground, though, so I haven't attempted a flight. The iPad is much too large for me, in any case: I want to use the iPhone, so even though the iPad almost works, I went back to the Lightning connector and have been trying to troubleshoot.

It's not the cable. I have 4 different USB-C to Lightning cables at home, all of which are data-capable (they're not just charging cables), all of which are different from each other in manufacturer, length, and construction. I even have a USB-A to Lightning cable and a USB-C to USB-A adapter that I tried as well. None of them cause the slightest reaction from the phone when connected to the RC, and the DJI Fly app continues to say that the RC is not connected to the phone. To further confirm that it's not the cable, I connected my iPhone to one of my laptop's USB-C ports via the DJI cable (it's very short, but not too short), and the phone was recognized and I was able to explore the phone's photo/video camera roll via the laptop. Nothing wrong with the DJI cable, at least in my case.

By the way: yes, I know which USB-C connector is the "real" one and which is just a dummy slot for the short cable to plug into for stowage. And yes, I know that a case can get in the way of the connector seating fully, and my phone has no case.

As for symptoms, when I first plugged the phone to the controller, I got a very strange behavior where the phone reacted with the screen lighting up and the sound that means "charging started," and the little lighting symbol on the battery icon...and then the symbol went away, and then 10 seconds or so later the sound again, over and over. It did this for a few minutes while I tried to get the app to activate the drone. The connection kept dropping and coming back repeatedly. Eventually this cycle stopped and the phone stopped recognizing the RC connection at all. I connected to my iPad and got a similar (but less severe) connection/disconnection cycle, with enough stability to see the camera image and even perform a firmware upgrade (on the second attempt). Back to the phone, I tried changing the "allow USB Accessories to connect when locked" option someone mentioned somewhere, which made no difference (an why would it, since the phone wasn't locked when all of this was happening?). I tried shutting down and restarting the phone, with the drone and RC already on and connected to the phone, as someone suggested might work. Nothing works. One time, for no reason I can determine, it actually worked, the app connected, I got a camera image, and everything seemed to be working, but when I tried to reproduce the result, it once again didn't work and all my attempts so far this morning have been completely unsuccessful.

So, what could it be?
  • If it's a hardware fault in the RC, it would explain why so many people, including all those YouTube posters/reviewers, seem to have no trouble at all, but then why do some people with the problem seem to be able to just switch from iOS to Android and it starts working? Why does it sort of work with my USB-C iPad but not so much with my Lightning iPhone?
  • If it's a firmware fault, wouldn't everyone (at least with iOS) see the problem?
  • If it's an iOS setting/compatibility interaction, what could it be? The only setting in iOS that has anything to do with external accessories (I think), is the one about USB accessories connecting while the phone is locked.

Like others I'm waiting for a response from tech support. I tried sending an e-mail. Meanwhile my drone is an expensive paperweight.
The problem is NOT limited to iOS. I run Android on a Samsung, and everything I've read in these pages is familiar to me: Android has the same problem.

Last edited:
Unacceptable!! I joined just to post this because the drone RC broke on me for the second time!! I had tested it before and then IT BROKE TWO TIMES ON TWO SEPARATE PAID GIGS !!!

The first time I had to send the drone RC back and it was out for almost a month (broke June 6th and got it back June 29th). I had originally tested it and learned how to use it and then took it on a paid project where it said that the RC was not connecting to the phone and was unable to use it. Now I got the RC back and everything worked for a few test flights and took it to another paid videography project and THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENED!!! I've now lost $400 in paid projects and didn't have the drone for a month because DJI sent me a faulty remote twice!

The controller and the drone connect and I am able to connect but between the remote and the phone there is no connection. I have tried multiple USB C cables, different phones, restarting the drone, restarting the phone, reinstalling the DJI Fly App and everything! The phone shows that it charges for a few seconds and then turns off.

I don't know what to do. Do I wait another month to get this fixed and lose hundreds of dollars of paid projects or demand a refund? I really have a sour taste in my mouth now with DJI, I'm really thinking I won't buy any more DJI products. I don't want to wait another month to get this resolved to potentially have this happen again....

Two ideas.
A backup camera may be a thought if you are using them for a business.
There are other flying camera manufacturers.
Hope you find a resolution.

hi, i had the same Problem. Mavic 2 Air and Controller won`t Connect with the Phone. (Samsung S8+ USB typ C)

The solution is to replace the charging socket on the phone.

How do you recognize a faulty socket?
After connecting the RC to the phone, the phone should show that it is charged. If this does not happen, try to push and hold the cable into the socket (firmly). If the phone starts charging and stops when you let go of the cable, it means that the socket is worn out.

The cost is 12 Euro. Youtube tutorial

After replacing the charging socket, my telephone connection to the RC is correct

Yes the fly. I hit "Connect Aircraft" and it goes to the screen where you choose either the mini or air 2 to connect. I hit the air 2 button and it goes to the screen where it tells you to connect the phone to the controller and I can't get past that . Like I said, I've used both my android phone and an iPhone and nothing.
I have had my Air 2 since December. Have never had a moments problem connecting to it until today. Out on a shoot and No, the RC will not connect to the tablet, phone, nothing. I changed the 12 inch cable for a brand new one. changed to another old one that always worked. It does not work.

Scrap the Air 2 went to the Pro 2. Got the job done. Came home a little dejected. Got out the Air 2 box, pulled the factory cable, the short one, hooked it to the tablet and it worked. Hooked it to the phone and it worked, replaced it with the other cables that had worked until the last software upgrade and NOWORKIE. DJI has done something. Anyone else seeing these problems?

I have had my Air 2 since December. Have never had a moments problem connecting to it until today. Out on a shoot and No, the RC will not connect to the tablet, phone, nothing. I changed the 12 inch cable for a brand new one. changed to another old one that always worked. It does not work.

Scrap the Air 2 went to the Pro 2. Got the job done. Came home a little dejected. Got out the Air 2 box, pulled the factory cable, the short one, hooked it to the tablet and it worked. Hooked it to the phone and it worked, replaced it with the other cables that had worked until the last software upgrade and NOWORKIE. DJI has done something. Anyone else seeing these problems?

I’ve had my Mavic Air 2 for a few months now, and I just tried flying it this morning, and ran into similar problem. The phone connects to the RC just fine. But it’s not connecting to the drone. The interesting thing about this, is that when I turn the drone on, the start up sequence is different now, in that it doesn’t calibrate the camera anymore and it no longer has the start up sound. I just flew the drone last weekend with no issues (and several times before that). Now all of a sudden, the drone doesn’t want to go through it’s normal startup sequence and I can’t connect to the drone anymore. It won’t even go into pairing mode. When I try to hold the power button on the battery for four seconds or more, it does absolutely nothing. I have 2 other batteries, and the same thing... nothing. I’ve already sent an email to DJI, so just waiting for a response.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78