DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 Controller won't Connect to my Phone

New drone user here with this same problem with Air 2 in July:
- Unsuccessful in liking an LG v20, v30, and Samsung S9 through DJI Fly to RC.
- Cable is plugged in correctly
- Customer Support is cutting in and out after two 45+ minute weighs.

Next steps:
- Attempt to update the controller firmware with DJI Go.
- Reinstall the DJI Fly app, reboot phone, and opening DJI Fly only after the RC and Air 2 are active and manually paired.
- Two Type C to C USB cables are on their way.
- Anything else???

Alternatives:
- Try to erase the FCC number I sharpied on the drone last night.
- Send the drone back.
- Send back the peripherals purchased on Amazon and Ebay.
- Go on vacation on Friday without a drone and forget this ever happened.

There is something unusual about how the cables interface with the controller and the smart device. I didn't think much about it until the latest software upgrade because USB C to USB C always worked. Suddenly you have to have a specific interface on the controller side and another one to the android device. If you get the cable in backward it doesn't work, and straight through cables no longer work, or work reliably. Easily fixed with a Hanatora 11.8 inch USB C to USB C Controller cable for Mavic Air 2, under ten dollars. Get two.

Reactions: Bill Carson
Easily fixed with a Hanatora 11.8 inch USB C to USB C Controller cable for Mavic Air 2, under ten dollars. Get two.
That's about what I was thinking. Arriving tomorrow is this:

And arriving the day after tomorrow is this:

But they may be for nothing because the same USB cord that just enabled DJI Assist 2 to see the drone and update its firmware did not let it see the RC. There was no indication that anything was plugged into the PC. So maybe the RC's USB port is inoperative.

Thanks for your help. Our family vacation comes a day our two later, so we probably need to make a decision on keeping the drone before that.

That's about what I was thinking. Arriving tomorrow is this:

And arriving the day after tomorrow is this:

But they may be for nothing because the same USB cord that just enabled DJI Assist 2 to see the drone and update its firmware did not let it see the RC. There was no indication that anything was plugged into the PC. So maybe the RC's USB port is inoperative.

Thanks for your help. Our family vacation comes a day our two later, so we probably need to make a decision on keeping the drone before that.
That's why we are all here. Hope you travel well.

Reactions: Bill Carson
Let us know. Remember, the controller cable has a polarity. Hook the marked end to the control.
Sure, the first replacement cable arrived today, and it too didn't work. I tried all 8 ways of connecting the cable and tried all 8 again on the old one. I then scrubbed the FCC number off the drone, and if the cable arriving tomorrow doesn't work, we'll probably send the drone back and cut our losses because this is taking up too much time. We also have almost $300 in peripherals and insurance that we probably can't get much for... Thanks for keeping in touch though.

Sure, the first replacement cable arrived today, and it too didn't work. I tried all 8 ways of connecting the cable and tried all 8 again on the old one. I then scrubbed the FCC number off the drone, and if the cable arriving tomorrow doesn't work, we'll probably send the drone back and cut our losses because this is taking up too much time. We also have almost $300 in peripherals and insurance that we probably can't get much for... Thanks for keeping in touch though.
Sorry my friend. It does not work with the factory shortie either? With a tablet or a cell phone, nothing. Not good.

Controller connects to the drone though. SO...the onlybthing left is the USB on the controller.

You have updated the controller software with your PC as I remember.

Sorry.

Sorry my friend. It does not work with the factory shortie either? With a tablet or a cell phone, nothing. Not good.

Controller connects to the drone though. SO...the onlybthing left is the USB on the controller.

You have updated the controller software with your PC as I remember.

Sorry.
Hi, Three cords tried and failed now, including the factory shortie. Only the drone could get a software update because the controller was not recognize by the computer, not even as something attached via USB.

We'll be sending it back today, and will consider options in a couple of week. Thanks again for listening.

TLDR - Mavic AIR 2 USB C cable is junk and formed a short after the second use, so I purchased what is hopefully a higher quality cable.

On July 31st, I received my Mavic Air 2 Fly More combo. Initially, I was able to connect to my Sony Experia and update the drone and battery firmware. The next day I finally flew it for a half hour and took some pictures. That evening I connected the remote to my phone and downloaded the pictures from the drone. Everything worked up till now.

The next day I plugged my phone into the remote and saw the USB connect message popping up rapidly. I jiggled the wire and the connection went completely dead. Before connecting, my phone was at 85% charge. I screwed around with the cable for about ten minutes before my phone froze and felt hot. I disconnected the cable and forced a phone power cycle. After the reboot, my phone was below 30% charge.

I tried my wife's phone, which uses USB micro, and confirmed the remote survived.
I ordered this better quality looking cable Amazon.com: Remote Controller Cable USB-C Mobile Phone Data Line Compatible with DJI Mavic Air 2 Fits Phone Type C: Industrial & Scientific in hopes to get flying again.

I see a lot of people in forums mentioning either the cables had to be replaced or the controller's USB interface stops connecting to anything. I have a theory that the USB cables are defective and shorting out causing controller failures in some cases.

I have the same issue. I have read many replies in many forums and tried everything suggested but the Mavic Air 2 controller will not connect to my mobile phones (I tried three, one iphone and 2 Android, all listed as compatible).
After wasting 8 hours of my life that I will never get back installing and uninstalling apps, trying/buying new cables, starting and restarting phones, I finally found the answer -

Call Amazon, arrange a return for full refund. Buy a Parrot Anafi - works perfectly straight out of the box, loving it!

I have the same issue. I have read many replies in many forums and tried everything suggested but the Mavic Air 2 controller will not connect to my mobile phones (I tried three, one iphone and 2 Android, all listed as compatible).
After wasting 8 hours of my life that I will never get back installing and uninstalling apps, trying/buying new cables, starting and restarting phones, I finally found the answer -

Call Amazon, arrange a return for full refund. Buy a Parrot Anafi - works perfectly straight out of the box, loving it!
Defeatist. When I bought the Mavic Air 2 the RC would not connect to the Smartphone. I took it to the DJI shop, who took just one minute to determine that the RC was defective, and replaced it on the spot. Since then the MA2 has received a number of firmware enhancements, including fine-tuning of the Gimbal and Digital Enlargement. Had I replaced the MA2 with something else I would have missed these enhancements.

So in the end I was able to solve my situation by simply getting a different phone (I bought a dedicated one for the drone). My Google Pixel 2XL didn't work but my friend had a Google Pixel 2 and it worked well. Don't know what the problem was but I was happy I got it fixed.
DJI has probably the worst customer service of any company I have ever experienced. They have had one of my drones for months now doing repairs and lost in limbo (they said they will give it back). Whatever you do, please don't put anything in their hands, it will take forever to get it back

This is pissing me off.
Im getting this problem as well.

When I first got the air 2 drone but didnt update, everything worked fine.
Phone connected and showed vid everytime.....

As soon as I updated to the latest firmware for the drone and controller I now cant connect my phone.......( I should say , it connected yesterday after I updated but today it wont no matter what i do, ive reinstalled the app 3 times i still have that red box at top of phone "RC NOT CONNECTED" yet i can fly with my RC neway just dont get vid on my phone.....)

Its an Iphone7S

I sometimes hear the "beeeupo" noise like when you plug your phone into a charger but it still just shows. (no the port is clean I cleaned it, chargers work fine it just wont connect to the controller for some reason now)

RC NOT CONNECTED

Even tho I can start the motors via the RC and fly the drone....... I just cant get any connection to my phone now after updating to latest firmware.......

WTF!

Do I really need to reconnect the drone and RC to my PC and DOWNGRADE the firmware ? Thats basically my last option now.... it worked FLAWLESSLY when I first got it and had not upgraded any firmware................

Last edited:
My Mavic Air 2 got delivered yesterday. However, when I connect my phone to the controller, the phone doesn't recognize that the controller is connected. I have attached the controller and drone to my computer and updated the firmware on both. I also have tried connecting to the controller with different phones, both Android(Galaxy S8) and iPhone, and all have the same issue. I've removed my phone case to make sure the cable is making a full connection and I am using the latest version of the DJI Fly app.

Has anyone experienced this with their Air 2? With any other DJI drones?

Also, do we know how to control the drone without a phone? When I have both the controller and drone powered on, the lights on the controller stop flashing and go solid. I assume this means that the 2 are connected, but pressing any of the buttons or spinning camera wheel do nothing on the drone (Not sure if you should be able to do this without the phone connection working). This was purchased from Best Buy, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello,

I've had my air 2 for 5 days, and it started giving me this issue. Did you end up resolving it? Dji customer service just wants me to send in the rc, but I'd just as soon return it to the store (still within return period).

This is pissing me off.
Im getting this problem as well.

When I first got the air 2 drone but didnt update, everything worked fine.
Phone connected and showed vid everytime.....

As soon as I updated to the latest firmware for the drone and controller I now cant connect my phone.......( I should say , it connected yesterday after I updated but today it wont no matter what i do, ive reinstalled the app 3 times i still have that red box at top of phone "RC NOT CONNECTED" yet i can fly with my RC neway just dont get vid on my phone.....)

Its an Iphone7S

I sometimes hear the "beeeupo" noise like when you plug your phone into a charger but it still just shows. (no the port is clean I cleaned it, chargers work fine it just wont connect to the controller for some reason now)

RC NOT CONNECTED

Even tho I can start the motors via the RC and fly the drone....... I just cant get any connection to my phone now after updating to latest firmware.......

WTF!

Do I really need to reconnect the drone and RC to my PC and DOWNGRADE the firmware ? Thats basically my last option now.... it worked FLAWLESSLY when I first got it and had not upgraded any firmware................
Hello,

Had my air 2 for 5 days and this started on mine too. Did you get any resolution? I can't find anyone that has resolved it!

In the DJI Fly app, under the CONNECT heading, the last item is "Connect to Aircraft" (appears in blue). Worked perfectly for me when my new Mini 2 would not connect to the RC, suggest trying it with the Air 2.

In the DJI Fly app, under the CONNECT heading, the last item is "Connect to Aircraft" (appears in blue). Worked perfectly for me when my new Mini 2 would not connect to the RC, suggest trying it with the Air 2.
It's not an option unless I disconnect the cable and reconnect it. But even that stopped working. I can't imagine being a mile away and losing the image.

It's not an option unless I disconnect the cable and reconnect it. But even that stopped working. I can't imagine being a mile away and losing the image.
You could try becoming more familiar with the RTH function.

Take your drone 10 feet up, 100 feet away, turn off the RC. See what happens.

Reactions: Tony McDrone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas